Cognoscenti Plain Jane Questions

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I always prefered full splice cues until many years ago I played one afternoon with a friend's PJ Cognoscenti. About all I knew about these cues was its hit and what the G-!0 pin was all about. I have simce learned about Joe Gold and his ethic, but I still do not know as much about his JP's as I would like. Thus, this thread because I know someone in AZB will know. I would like to know a general history of these cues and

1. What woods have been used in Cognoscenti PJ's?

2. What year did pin change from green to black?

3. What is the thread pattern?

As always, thank ya'll very much.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
1) What woods have been used in Cognoscenti PJ's?

Ebonized. Fancy word for black paint.

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a wrapless Cog with ebony (not ebonized) forearm and kingwood handle. Green G-10 pin. Only wrapless, ebony Cog I have ever seen. Not sure about the year the pin changed from green to black, but the thread is 7/16 X 11 and the threads are flattened.

Donkin the 8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ebony bacote cocobolo and Birdseye maple are the main ones. 3/8-11 is the pin he uses. Not sure what year he switched the color pins. People think the green ones make the cue play better. Joe himself told me he doesn’t understand why people think that lol. Both are g10 plain and simple

wildbill9ball

Honeywell Machinist
Silver Member
Cognoscenti
cocobolo
7/16-11
Butt: 14.8oz
Shaft 1: 3.9 (13.2mm)
Shaft 2: 4.0 (13.2mm

If you have never played with one its a experience.
I have played with a schon for 23 years have a tad plays great . But i just got a cocobolo cog about a month ago. The cog is18.8oz schon was 19.5oz. With the g10 thread it really lightens the front end not unplayable but noticeable. The wood to wood joint with an extra tight thread that squeaks while tightening has a sturdier hit.
Not as stiff as my schon.

Just the frist few racks with it so far plays great .
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 20200802_005847.jpg
    20200802_005847.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 20200802_005801.jpg
    20200802_005801.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 241
  • FB_IMG_1557561876618.jpg
    FB_IMG_1557561876618.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ebony bacote cocobolo and Birdseye maple are the main ones. 3/8-11 is the pin he uses. Not sure what year he switched the color pins. People think the green ones make the cue play better. Joe himself told me he doesn’t understand why people think that lol. Both are g10 plain and simple

I have never seen or heard of a Cog with a 3/8x11 G10. It is definitely 7/16x11.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
When I first ran into his cues at the 1994 U.S. Open,he was NOT using birdseye/curly maple in a forearm or wrap section,saying it moved too much for him.

Your choices were purpleheart,bacote,coco or ebony. You also had the option of a Titanium version of his normal pin.

He was the originator of using G-10 in any cue application,and was supposedly buying it directly from NASA.

A plain jane bacote I bought with 2 shafts was 550 straight from Joe,I sold it for a couple hundred profit after hitting enough balls with it to realize a Triangle is not the tip of choice on that cue,LOL.

I ran into a guy one time that had an ebony cue he used as a breaker,and that thing was friggin' electric if you used a tip down,Mike Sigel style break. It made the "squat" almost automatic. He wouldn't part with it. Tommy D.