Why Pivot?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Math doesn't "govern" pivot systems - it describes idealized versions of them, as it can with any aiming method.

pj
chgo

If the pivot is well-defined and consistent, like a "half tip offset" from center cb, and there's a known reference line through center cb from which the offset pivot is applied, then math can certainly predict where the ob will go for any given shot.

But anytime we attribute an effect (result) to some unknown cause (reason for result), we ignore logic and render math useless.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the pivot is well-defined and consistent, like a "half tip offset" from center cb, and there's a known reference line through center cb from which the offset pivot is applied, then math can certainly predict where the ob will go for any given shot.

But anytime we attribute an effect (result) to some unknown cause (reason for result), we ignore logic and render math useless.

The problem with people trying to draw it out on paper is they all assume a well-defined consistent pivot. In reality, especially for shishkabob, the pivot is based on a perception and the amount of the pivot varies depending on the perspective. And that perspective depends on a 3-d position.

I know that everybody now is going to claim that that makes it subjective, and it may, but not necessarily. Placing your eyes in a perception and pivoting to another perception can be very consistent but it does require judgement.

From my experimentation with pivot systems I believe that the changes in perceptions based on position are the glue that allows for larger pocketing ranges. Also in my own pivoting system hitting cue ball center is not a requirement and strict adherence to that makes the system less effective.

I really can’t wait for Stan to release his truth series.