Did Nick Varner gamble.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the 90’s Nick used to come to St. Louis on a regular basis.

He’d spot local guys like me 14-5 and he had a line of customers who thought they could skin that cat. All found out that that was not so. Varner was as patient as the Buddha, he gave you zero air, wait for the inevitable mistake, then run a truckload of balls and either get out or put a pillow back on your face.

Buddy Hall visited after one of Nick’s visits and offered the local lads 10-7 and everyone, to a man, scoffed at his measly offer. When he found out the games Varner gave out and won with Buddy swore off St. Louis never to return saying Varner has ruined the city for any other pro.

Lou Figueroa

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay
it is not easy growing old
i guess you and billy have had some funtogether

he is so loaded today,he can afford to be a good sucker without even hurting

call me for lunch when you come thru dallas,on me

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
He went on the road with Wimpy Lassiter around 1971for a year and won 90k. That's alot of cash back then.
Next I can say is when everyone was barking that Efren was the greatest in 1990 nick went to the Philippines at Efrens home pool room and played race to 60 for 40k. Nick put up all his own money and Efren had about 2 dozen backers that put up their 40k. Nick beat Efren 60-32. Nick told me it's funny that he never got invited back again.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick Did In Fresno.

Nick would stop in Fresno and play at Dan Dadian’s pool hall.
In fact, he stayed at Dan’s house even when just passing thru.
They were close pals and Nicky always walked away with cash.

There was one local player that gave him fits & Nicky luv’d playin’ him.
His name was Rocky (Antenucci) & a memorial tournament for Rocky
Is held at Diamond Billiards for the past decade. Dan Dadian’s widow,
Sheri, owns and operates the pool hall that helps keep Dan in our hearts.

Matt B.

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nick might remember this:):)

About 1987, a friend of mine called me around 11:30 - 12:00, middle of night.

Woody asked me if I knew a curly headed guy that he was going off to, playing at an action bar in Arlington, Tx.

Well, the way Woody described him, I immediately thought it could be Nick.

I told Woody to look around and see if he could spot Dick Lane. Nope, could not.

Well, my friend went off for $2100. Next day he said Dick was sitting in corner of the bar where it would be hard to see him.

I thought it was very funny.

That story aside, Nick is a very stand up guy, who I respect a lot.

1948 was a great year, hey Nick !:):)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't really think of a better All Around player from that generation. Nick played all games at the highest level! Straight Pool, 9-Ball, One Pocket, Eight Ball and Banks, he had no weaknesses. I would make him the equal of Mike Sigel at all these games and he gambled better than Sigel, who could wilt under fire. Nick had no back down in him (see Efren match) and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who got his money. I'm guessing Buddy Hall and Parica are the only two he wouldn't play 9-Ball with back then and neither of them could beat him if they played all around. Buddy banked great and played great One Pocket too, but he didn't like Straight Pool. Parica did not like Banks and was a good, but not great, 14.1 player. Varner excelled at all games!

Just a little shout out to one of the all time greats who is often overlooked in the conversation. Nicky was never one to blow his own horn. He just collected the money and went about his business. One more pool success story, the kind I like.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
50 yrs Ago

Nick and I played at the Bowling Alley for the midwest collegiate 14.1 championships 1969. He won 150-148, on those orange clothed thick rag 9' GC's. There were overhead lights, just the high ceiling/cleaning lights for table lighting. The Brunswick bowling ball racks were next to the table we played on, and the bowling lanes were ''right there'' with that noise accompanying the event. We both knew at that time, that who ever won it, would play Carella, but at that time he was not able to beat either of us in straight pool.
I did proceed to go to the pool room and played em some 9 ball. Won over $300, which was a nice score in those years. I also used to go to Chicago during my Thanksgiving breaks and Xmas breaks and Spring break, and be totted around by steer men, making enough each time to pay for my schooling and tuition for a couple years. Those were the the days for sure. Every town, had a pool room or bowling alley with pool tables. I always stayed away from the pool room across the street from where Artie lived. Been in there a few times, but had Total respect for the old timers, as they could work ya good, and get the dough.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been the best thread on AZ in some time.

Thanks for all the great stories.

Nick was and is a class guy.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first time I saw one pocket played "live" was at JOBs during the Camel Pro Tour era. I was 17 years old'ish and hanging around watching all of the champions. In the lower room where they had all of the big tables at that time, it was cleared out except Nick Varner practicing. Another pro (I couldn't name if I wanted to) went up to him to show him his new Schon cue (which was really fancy and nice). I was just watching them, eaves dropping to see what was going to happen. Nick complimented the cue and asked him, non-chalantly, if he wanted to practice some cheap one pocket for $40 a game. I remember thinking, what is one pocket? Well, Nick just beat this guy maybe 10 games in a row. All the while chatting him up, and collecting the money after each game. At some point he looked at me and nodded politely, as I was sitting about 10 feet away being as quiet as a little mouse.

I called Nick's store a few years ago to order something and Nick answered. I placed my order, but I didn't know he liked to chat. He must have told me stories for an hour. It was great. He mentioned a little bit about action, and said in the early 80s, when he won his first world championship, there wasn't much he was scared to shoot at.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nick never “gambled” he was stealing the whole time

Eric I gotta disagree somewhat.With Nicks talent he almost would always have the best of it.
Next I can say is when everyone was barking that Efren was the greatest in 1990 nick went to the Philippines at Efrens home pool room and played race to 60 for 40k. Nick put up all his own money and Efren had about 2 dozen backers that put up their 40k. Nick beat Efren 60-32. Nick told me it's funny that he never got invited back again.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not related to OP, but if we're talking about Mr. Varner I have to put in my two cents.

I grew up in a smaller town without elite level players. We didn't have youtube or live streams, so I could really only learn from the locals. I couldn't afford accu-stats VHSs, but the owner had 10-20 or so that I could rent for a few days. I must have seen them all 5-10 times. I knew by the score what would happen the next rack, how they'd run out, what the commentators would say. I felt like roommates with Billy and Grady I heard them banter so much, along with listening to Buddy and the others that would sit in from time to time.

My favorite match was of Nick Varner vs. Mike Sigel at the 1990 US Open. This match changed my life. Nick was down 9-2 and 10-5 going to 11 and came back to win. It was a unique match to say the least, and those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about. If you haven't I've linked it below and it's worth it at twice the price.

Anyway, Grady was commentating and made a strong point to discuss some of how Nick handled adversity. He said that Nick viewed any form of complaining as a sign of weakness, and he never showed any weakness. He never banged the table, whined about a roll, pointed in disgust, or anything like that. When he was down 9-2 he was hooked and kicked a ball in, then ended up getting corner hooked a moment later. He kicked that ball in as well, then went on to run out to get to 9-3, then 11-10 and the rest is history. Back to back US Open winner that probably never would've happened if he'd gotten negative about being that deeply buried and getting that terrible of a roll.

Nick was my hero. I modeled my game after his, mental and physical. I've never had the fire power of an Earl or an SVB, but that's what was so inspiring about Nick. It didn't look like he could do anything that special. No flashy stroke, no outrageous shots, no running around the table. But he was a master at all parts of the game, was ridiculously consistent, a mental giant, and had a burning competitive fire. The results were that all of those power players would break on him like water on rocks, and despite their fireworks he'd steadily rack up the beads until he was pocketing the last 9 ball. (Of course it helps that I cheated and probably only bought matches he won!)

I have a lot in common with Nick in the sense of not being explosive in the ways that are attention catching. And I'll never match the finished product he was. But by following in his footsteps as best I could I've done more than I thought I could when I set out.

I thanked Grady but don't think he really understood what he meant to me. I got to play Buddy twice last month and didn't even try to find words to express my gratitude (it would've been suspected sharking if I'd said it prior to the match and condescending if I'd said it after I won, he's not on his game of course). Nor Billy. I did try to tell Nick when I met him, but how can you really tell someone how they changed your life forever?

I can't. But I can tell all of you. Nick Varner is my hero.

https://store.accu-stats.com/mike-sigel-vs-nick-varner-dvd-1990-u-s-open/

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric I gotta disagree somewhat.With Nicks talent he almost would always have the best of it.

There have been a couple others that went to Efren and beat him for the cheese and was never invited back.

Funny how none of the "Efren's the greatest player that ever played" fans never mention or even admit that those matches happened.

As I've said before, I have several close friends that live in the Philippines and only one of them will admit that more than one American player has robbed Efren in his own room for more than just a little cheese.

Jeff

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been a couple others that went to Efren and beat him for the cheese and was never invited back.

Funny how none of the "Efren's the greatest player that ever played" fans never mention or even admit that those matches happened.

As I've said before, I have several close friends that live in the Philippines and only one of them will admit that more than one American player has robbed Efren in his own room for more than just a little cheese.

Jeff

efren didn't win everything, but his accomplishments together with his creativity and talent is what puts him up there. same with ronnie o'sullivan, i doubt ronnie will best stephen hendry's world championship record, but his talent puts him above hendry in my eyes.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how nick would have come out if he played Efren in the Philippines.

Anybody know if they ever matched up there?