New Used Table, Low Center Slate

tweak

I just bought a table last weekend and had it professionally moved, set up, and refelted last Friday (the 15th). I went to play on it the other day and noticed the seams both have a dip toward the center slate. It's somewhat difficult to feel through the felt by hand, but rubbing a ball back and forth over it makes a definite knocking sound at the seam.

It's installed on carpet, and I've heard stories about carpet being problematic, but I'd have expected the compressing carpet to affect the table overall, not just the center slate. Before I call him, I'd like to be sure this is his problem before I go placing blame where it doesn't belong.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Most furniture style tables have a tendency to sag toward the middle. What table do you have?

Regardless of how much a frame sags, the problems should be corrected when the table is reinstalled. If your installer did not do the work properly, you will be even further disappointed by having him come back to attempt corrections. I might recommend that you contact him, to at least let him know that it is not correct.

If you have a 4' (or longer) level, you can do a quick check. Lay it across all 3 slates, and look for a gap underneath.

Your best bet may be to find a more reputable installer. Where are you located?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just bought a table last weekend and had it professionally moved, set up, and refelted last Friday (the 15th). I went to play on it the other day and noticed the seams both have a dip toward the center slate. It's somewhat difficult to feel through the felt by hand, but rubbing a ball back and forth over it makes a definite knocking sound at the seam.

It's installed on carpet, and I've heard stories about carpet being problematic, but I'd have expected the compressing carpet to affect the table overall, not just the center slate. Before I call him, I'd like to be sure this is his problem before I go placing blame where it doesn't belong.

Carpet has no effect on the slate seams being flush to each other. And Brad is right, if this is the best service you got when the table was set up, don't expect it to be any better on a return visit, but give it a try.