Look Away Shot Meme - and what it can teach about aiming!

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A meme has been going around on facebook, with players shooting long straight blues after setting their bridge, looking to the side, handing their cue off to a friend, and then getting it back and making the shot while still looking away.

Here's one example I found on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvFx5Lxrqc8

This method demonstrates that the key aspect of alignment is bridge positioning.

It also demonstrates that looking at the OB on delivery is not as important as striking the CB where one intends to, if bridge is positioned properly.

This method can help train body awareness of staying in the same position relative to the bridge such that the cue can be delivered to CCB, rather than with english.

A little trick for those wanting to try this: If you bridge 1 or 2 inches longer than your pivot point, you will still make some shots even if you mistakenly hit the CB off center.

Let's say you hit 1/4 tip left of CCB. The CB will squirt slightly to the right of the aim line, making the Line of Centers with the OB left of the original aim line, but the Spin Induced Throw will throw the OB back to the right. The more the squirt, the more is the SIT, up to a point, so it is roughly self correcting up to 30% tip offset, so long as the bridge length is spot on for the speed of shot.

So bridge length can play a significant role in reducing the margin for error on this shot, just as it can be a useful method in real play, though it reduces a player's ability to swipe as a secondary aim adjustment on firm shots.

Colin

Note: This only works for straightish shots, 0 to 5 degrees. For finer cuts, it works works ok for Outside English but will over cut shots with Inside English, so you'll need to bridge at the effective pivot point for those shots, not an inch or two longer.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
If you're like me, your bridge hand is several feet closer to the cue ball/aim line than your stroke hand! So I agree with your bridge comments wholeheartedly.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think the recent FB meme videos shows anything. They might have had 10 takes, who knows. I suck, and with video editing of only the makes, I can make the same shot.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Miz did one of those shots years ago. Set up, turned head, opened up bridge loop and move the cue away from his body, returned it to his bridge and made the shot. I totally agree that having the bridge on the right extension of the shot line is key, and of course keeping it there.

Just turning your head or closing your eyes will help you to trust your fundamentals and get in touch with the feel of the shot. I will do a series of shots like that occasionally and I think it helps. But moving the cue out of the bridge hand and returning it demands that both the bridge stays still AND the back hand is returned to it's original position, or very close to it. That's where I think consistent body positioning would come into play, you can sense where your grip hand should be in relation to your already positioned body and bridge.

Agree with other posters, not too difficult with several takes. That's why when I record and post myself doing a ghost race or other drill I just start the camera and let it roll. We all mess up, and I think it's instructional to not only show the reality of things, not just the perfect take after an entire day of shooting.

Scott