Wood, joint, ferrule tip recommendation

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cue preference is one with a firm hit. Overall it seems cues with a SS joint have the firmest hit. Not sure that is always true though. I've heard most cues are cored so my thinking is if this is true then the coring wood is what determines the hit regardless of the wood used externally. Do you agree? Also, I am told purple heart is arguably the best wood for coring. What I would like to have is non SS joint with or without coring using a figured wood, (ie, cocobola, bocote). Plain forearm and butt, 59" long and 18.5- 19.5 ozs. Firm hit being primary consideration. I'm aware different tips, ferrule(non-ivory) and shaft wood all contribute to this. What combinations would you recommend who should I contact to build this cue? Thanks for you input.

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
While the wood used plays a part in the feel of the cue, and the coring wood can help control weight and contribute to the feel, the construction plays a big part. Also the shaft taper, ferrule, and tip will affect feel. I would start a dialog with a cue maker and let them build the cue to match your needs.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a firm hit to you? Can you name a product or maker that makes what you define as stiff?
These things are so subjective, that it's hard to know without having some kind of refference.
I agree with the previous poster, that the tip ferrule, shaft diameter and taper wil be the most important factors.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Firm hit

Ss joints make a cue hit dead. You want a firm hit, get a cue, maple full spliced into maple. Wood pin, maple shaft and no ferrule.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Yeah, one's for show, the others for go. I'll let you decide which is which. Lol