Identifying Woods

lawrence526

Registered
Anybody out there with knowledge about a site or book that has good visuals on identifying woods turned down for Cues. Sometimes I get cues with a wood that leaves me baffled as to what it is, so I just call it beautiful but would like to know what beautiful is.............Larry

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
wood

Anybody out there with knowledge about a site or book that has good visuals on identifying woods turned down for Cues. Sometimes I get cues with a wood that leaves me baffled as to what it is, so I just call it beautiful but would like to know what beautiful is.............Larry

Cruise the wanted for sale section looking at the different kinds of wood .
Local library .

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How to Identify Woods.

Black guy, with a golf club. Usually with a couple of hot chicks.

150821110104-tiger-woods-wyndham-championship-super-169.jpg

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A quick google search returns a number of "wood identification kits" that one can buy with samples of 40-60 different types of wood.

Know Your Woods by Albert Constantine Jr. is considered by many to be the ultimate guide for a huge number of species. It's available on Amazon for a reasonable price. I've used it for years in my woodworking endeavors.

Brian in VA

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dabbled in this once.

Any good site or book will tell you this truth:

Trees are classified into species based on the leaf, not the wood. It's impossible to 100% identify any species based on the wood alone. There are a few distinctive species, but most will be very hard to differentiate, even under a microscope or spectrometer.

As a consumer of wood products, if you don't have certified documentation from the seller that goes back to when the tree was cut down, then all you really have left is to trust the seller's word.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Warning: the site will be addicting, and you will regret the day you clicked the link.

https://www.gilmerwood.com/home/species_sample_photos

Freddie <~~~ fair warning

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Warning: the site will be addicting, and you will regret the day you clicked the link.

https://www.gilmerwood.com/home/species_sample_photos

Freddie <~~~ fair warning

I hesitated all of 2 seconds, go figure; for the OP, bet-cha after you after you find out
what wood it is or might be, you'll still call it beautiful. I'll have to admit though it's just as
interesting to know origins, time lines, cuts and the politics of it's existence.