Upgrading GCI to slate levelers

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Still stacking up piles of shims under the pedestals to level the frame??

I can't say I have never done that, but,
only in extreme situations and have not been lately! :)
You already taught me how to build the leveling system
on top of the pedestals, under the frame angle irons
with all thread and 2 nuts!:thumbup:

Trent

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still stacking up piles of shims under the pedestals to level the frame??

I'm not understanding this - don't GC's have screw adjustable feet?
What is being shimmed to level the frame? (as opposed to the slate)

Already planned to put adjustable feet under the Royal. Still deciding whether screw-adjustable parallel wedge system, or "lift & rotate" style.

smt

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I'm not understanding this -
don't GC's have screw adjustable feet?
What is being shimmed to level the frame?
(as opposed to the slate)

Already planned to put adjustable feet
under the Royal. Still deciding whether
screw-adjustable parallel wedge system,
or "lift & rotate" style.

smt

We were talking about an Anniversary. :)

Trent

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Already planned to put adjustable feet under the Royal. Still deciding whether screw-adjustable parallel wedge system, or "lift & rotate" style.

smt

Early GC1's didn't have adjustable leg levelers in the begining.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
My GCI does have adjustable feet, its a late GCI without the figure 8 nut plates in the rails (not sure what the other things are called, (captured nuts maybe?) I just thought a leveling system would make it easier to match and level the individual slates. I was not aware that tables with leveling systems had free floating slate. I guess I will buy some leveling wedges when I order my rail DVD, thank you for the insight.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
First fix would be to install the leveling feet! I did not know your table did now have those Bob!

I will PM you to go into more detail. :)

Trent

MesdupBoogie

Registered

smt

As RKC pointed out, early models didn't have adjustable feet. The old installation manual describes leveling the base frame by shimming the feet and planing the high spots on the frame. "Round veneer shims are supplied" to place under the feet.

My recently purchased GC1 is one of those with fixed feet. After 60ish years, a "not supplied" list is where to find my shims along with other various bits of hardware.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
As RKC pointed out, early models didn't have adjustable feet. The old installation manual describes leveling the base frame by shimming the feet and planing the high spots on the frame. "Round veneer shims are supplied" to place under the feet.

My recently purchased GC1 is one of those with fixed feet. After 60ish years, a "not supplied" list is where to find my shims along with other various bits of hardware.

Call me, and I'll tell you how to turn those into adjustable feet for less than $10.
702-927-5689

MesdupBoogie

Registered
Call me, and I'll tell you how to turn those into adjustable feet for less than $10.
702-927-5689

Thanks. You actually know my table; it's right near Boise, taking up my truck's parking space in the garage next to a non-running motorcycle. I’m moving it into the basement bit by bit, recruiting my neighbor to help with the heavy pieces. ;)

I just happened to have been reading the old installation manual and thought I'd post the quote about the veneers under the feet.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks. You actually know my table; it's right near Boise, taking up my truck's parking space in the garage next to a non-running motorcycle. I’m moving it into the basement bit by bit, recruiting my neighbor to help with the heavy pieces. ;)

I just happened to have been reading the old installation manual and thought I'd post the quote about the veneers under the feet.

Ok, already have that figured in then🤣