Grip question

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been able to figure out what is causing my grip to be angled like this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also I am switching back to a normal size cue and would assume I need to shorten the bridge length back up to bring everything back into better form?

I plan on video recording and going back through the mother drills when I get home this week.

FB_IMG_1574612683237_zpsemaqwohc.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a very slight wrist cock. Work on letting the hand hang limp with no wrist involvement (90 degrees to the cuestick). Then hold the cue in that place, trying to cradle the cue, as opposed to grabbing it. Smooth backswing, with a smooth transition. Let your cradle hand come to rest on your pec. Note your knuckles...they should be tilted forward, not flat. At this point your tip is on or near the cloth at your tip finish location (which is also always the same for all SOP shots). Practice that swing using the speed control drill. Pay attention to how your stroke finishes every time. Hope that helps. You can also get a bowler's brace. That will physically stop the wrist cock...but you still have to train yourself out of the bad habit

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Last edited:

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a very slight wrist cock. Work on letting the hand hang limp with no wrist involvement (90 degrees to the cuestick). Then hold the cue in that place, trying to cradle the cue, as opposed to grabbing it. Smooth backswing, with a smooth transition. Let your cradle hand come to rest on your pec. Note your knuckles...they should be tilted forward, not flat. At this point your tip is on or near the cloth at your tip finish location (which is also always the same for all SOP shots). Practice that swing using the speed control drill. Pay attention to how your stroke finishes every time. Hope that helps. You can also get a bowler's brace. That will physically stop the wrist cock...but you still have to train yourself out of the bad habit

Scott Lee

OK thanks for taking the time to answer Scott. Not sure when I picked up that wrist habit but have noticed it when watching the video while doing the mother drills.

On the back arm not being at 90 degrees is that because the bridge length is to long? I feel like I am way to far away from the cue ball when they picture was taken.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
On the back arm not being at 90 degrees is that because the bridge length is to long? I feel like I am way to far away from the cue ball when they picture was taken.
Geometrically, the optimum place in your stroke to hit the CB is when your forearm is perpendicular to the cue (dotted lines) - that's when your pendulum stroke motion is parallel with the stick and the tip is moving in a straight line toward its target.

Your cocked wrist moves your grip forward a little, accentuating the forward position of your forearm past the perpendicular optimum - so your stroke motion is turning upward and your tip motion is downward. This can cause inaccuracy, even miscues.

With your grip hand at the very back of the stick (in the picture ) you would have to shorten your bridge to move your forearm back to perpendicular - maybe not with a longer cue. I like more a moderate bridge length to reduce the effect of stroke errors at the tip.

I agree with your comment about the tip being a little far from the CB in the pic - that gives the tip more room to dip before contact.

pj
chgo

stroke.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sean...Pat's absolutely correct. You need to remeasure your personal shooting template...make sure the numbers are still the same...or adjust the numbers to correct whatever bridge length you decide you want to use most of the time...and then measure where your cradle goes on the cue. Make sure the tip is touching the CB. Looks to me like either move your cradle back two inches, or shorten your bridge length two inches...then you should be verical.

Scott Lee

OK thanks for taking the time to answer Scott. Not sure when I picked up that wrist habit but have noticed it when watching the video while doing the mother drills.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been able to figure out what is causing my grip to be angled like this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also I am switching back to a normal size cue and would assume I need to shorten the bridge length back up to bring everything back into better form?

I plan on video recording and going back through the mother drills when I get home this week.

FB_IMG_1574612683237_zpsemaqwohc.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and what lengths are your cues?
Eddie

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sean...Pat's absolutely correct. You need to remeasure your personal shooting template...make sure the numbers are still the same...or adjust the numbers to correct whatever bridge length you decide you want to use most of the time...and then measure where your cradle goes on the cue. Make sure the tip is touching the CB. Looks to me like either move your cradle back two inches, or shorten your bridge length two inches...then you should be verical.

Scott Lee

OK Thank you Scott!

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geometrically, the optimum place in your stroke to hit the CB is when your forearm is perpendicular to the cue (dotted lines) - that's when your pendulum stroke motion is parallel with the stick and the tip is moving in a straight line toward its target.

Your cocked wrist moves your grip forward a little, accentuating the forward position of your forearm past the perpendicular optimum - so your stroke motion is turning upward and your tip motion is downward. This can cause inaccuracy, even miscues.

With your grip hand at the very back of the stick (in the picture ) you would have to shorten your bridge to move your forearm back to perpendicular - maybe not with a longer cue. I like more a moderate bridge length to reduce the effect of stroke errors at the tip.

I agree with your comment about the tip being a little far from the CB in the pic - that gives the tip more room to dip before contact.

pj
chgo

View attachment 535230

Thanks Pat! I was going to try this when I get back home and have time to practice on my home table.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6'2 and I belive that predator revo cue is only 58".

The Josey I got is a 60" cue.

Ok. Do you think you do better with the shorter cue? I'm about 6'3 and I'm thinking of getting a longer cue made. I tried the forward balance extension, but i don't like the forward added weight.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok. Do you think you do better with the shorter cue? I'm about 6'3 and I'm thinking of getting a longer cue made. I tried the forward balance extension, but i don't like the forward added weight.

Not sure to be honest. I just got a regular sized cue again. The Josey I've been playing with for about two to three years now is a fantastic cue. Also when I bought it off ebay I didn't know it was a 60" until I got it.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

Think I figured this out will test it out later. I had the number as 5 inches from the back and it was actually 3 inches from the rear of the cue. So the 2 inch guess would be correct. Rewatched the video and double checked that I wrote down the wrong number

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Not sure to be honest. I just got a regular sized cue again. The Josey I've been playing with for about two to three years now is a fantastic cue. Also when I bought it off ebay I didn't know it was a 60" until I got it.

When Gus made my cue in 76 I had 3 shafts made 2'' longer. EVERYONE always said I needed a longer cue, because of my height 6'6'', so I tried it. I hated it, would rather of played with a 56''.

Anywho I had Stroud cut all the shafts back two inches, he was able to reuse the ferrules. I also had Gus put on a leather wrap, hated it. Not enough tack. I actually had to sit in my seat with my cue in my lap, with myhands around the grip, to keep that area Warm.

I sold that cue because of the grip. Had all the other grips, from cork to ???? I talked with Nicky he said, linen. That wrap that adapts to conditions w/o a problem.

I've seen great players, in the pause position have there hand more than 6 inches forward of 6 o'clock. I'd much rather choke/up on my grip than be anywhere near dead center bottom at impact.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'd much rather choke/up on my grip than be anywhere near dead center bottom at impact.
My acceleration "sweet spot" feels like it's a little forward of perpendicular, so I like that grip position too. But I don't like the amount of tip-dipping that goes on that way, so I'm trying to make perpendicular my sweet spot. We'll see...

pj
chgo

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
My acceleration "sweet spot" feels like it's a little forward of perpendicular, so I like that grip position too. But I don't like the amount of tip-dipping that goes on that way, so I'm trying to make perpendicular my sweet spot. We'll see...

pj
chgo

Jack Hines was a good example of the forward grab, tho he played on 7 footers. Whatever yah try, wouldn't recommend duplicating the Allen Hopkins method. It's amazing tho, how great of a player he became with his unique/and understandable swing mechanics.