The customer isn't always right...

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are some of the weird requests you guys have said, "No Way!" to when asked by a customer with a cue on order?

Joint collars made of gold, javelin-like cue lengths, using a wood stain made from the ashes of a dead ancestor? Let's here your stories!

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
cues

What are some of the weird requests you guys have said, "No Way!" to when asked by a customer with a cue on order?

Joint collars made of gold, javelin-like cue lengths, using a wood stain made from the ashes of a dead ancestor? Let's here your stories!

Light weight
I get few guys looking for 14 oz cues.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
" I want an ebony with purpleheart cue, un-cored at 18 oz."
" I like this maker's cues' look. Can you make me a cue that looks like that model?"
" I want my ferrules to be 12.85 MM. 12.8MM seems too thin and 12.9MM seems too big."

JC

Coos Cues
I want my ferrules to be 12.85 MM. 12.8MM seems too thin and 12.9MM seems too big."

Reminds me of the fruit cake on here a while back who preferred the hit of 3/8 10 over 3/8 11. And people actually entertained the differences as I recall.

JC

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Reminds me of the fruit cake on here a while back who preferred the hit of 3/8 10 over 3/8 11. And people actually entertained the differences as I recall.

JC

He preferred the 3/8 11 over the 10. :D
I do too just because my mentor used it.
But, no way that extra thread makes a difference in the hit.
Or that the 3/8 11 has a .004" larger minor. :D

It's George

Bet Something!!!
Silver Member
I want a one piece butt with my name engraved down it. And they never understand why I say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
"I want a butt thats turned straight and just flaired out at the butt end so a bumper will fit in" i suggested a broom handle.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't really seen any outrageous wished here so far (despite the light ebony cure).
You might need to open your minds :)

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" I want an ebony with purpleheart cue, un-cored at 18 oz."
" I like this maker's cues' look. Can you make me a cue that looks like that model?"
" I want my ferrules to be 12.85 MM. 12.8MM seems too thin and 12.9MM seems too big."

You got to love em I guess!
Had a customer's cue that weighed 19.6oz. Can you make it 19.5 or maybe 19.45 oz he asked? I took the weight bolt completely out. He screwed the shaft on and he said it was perfect! I asked are you sure? He said it was just what he wanted. I never told him the bolt I removed was 1.2 oz.

Another guy gives me his shaft to remove a few dents and put a new tip on. When I gave it back to him he started stroking it back and forth with this real sour look on his face. I asked if something was wrong. He said why is it so smooth? I don't think I can play with it like this...:confused:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Another guy gives me his shaft to remove a few dents and put a new tip on. When I gave it back to him he started stroking it back and forth with this real sour look on his face. I asked if something was wrong. He said why is it so smooth? I don't think I can play with it like this...:confused:

OK, now THAT is funny....or sad.....

I am getting a cue lathe. I swear I am. But the more I read the more I think I'll just enjoy it in secret. If I had to deal with some of this stuff I think I would need therapy.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Way weird

I am out in the middle of the desert at the only 9 ft table to play on for 165 miles one way playing pool .

When the owner tells me I am using too much chalk.

Says watch this, this is how its done, picks up his own cue, chalks it up, then bangs the shaft on the bottom of the table ?
I do the normal thing and unscrew my cue and leave gracefully.

Two years later the same bar owner hands me his shaft and asks me if I can fix the dents in his shaft ..

I fixed the shaft for him for free because I felt like it , and asked him how he did got all those dents in his shaft?
He knew exactly what I was saying., he smiled and said ya I don't knock the chalk off my tip any more .....:thumbup

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I had a customer ask me to take a look at a cue he bought and see if I could reproduce a particular butt as far as the dimensions.

The joint was .790 and the butt cap was 1.200 so I said yes I can make a SP with those dimensions with what I have on hand.

Then he hands me a finished Scott Erwin SP with nice joint rings and a Radial pin and asks if I can reproduce those dimensions with THAT as a blank,instead of what I have on hand.

I simply told him I wouldn't feel comfortable cutting into a finished cue with someone else's name on it,and he was cool with that. Tommy D.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a customer's cue that weighed 19.6oz. Can you make it 19.5 or maybe 19.45 oz he asked? I took the weight bolt completely out. He screwed the shaft on and he said it was perfect! I asked are you sure? He said it was just what he wanted. I never told him the bolt I removed was 1.2 oz.

I've NEVER met a shaft that was TOO smooth or slick. I want mine as slick as it can be made.