How to Deal with Frustration mid-run

Michael S

Registered
I scored 58 several years ago and have tried getting to that level since. I have been more consistent of "passing the first rack" and continuing. Then for whatever reason or another, the run would stop on some silly mistake or bad luck. I got to 30 ish recently but not 58. I guess one good answer is to be persistent and do not give up...

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Play good patterns, be careful and patient. The runs come when you least expect it. If you want it too much, you end up sabotaging yourself with your expectations. Just run the balls, and if you are playing against someone, do not count, let them count for you.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Bueno

Play good patterns, be careful and patient. The runs come when you least expect it. If you want it too much, you end up sabotaging yourself with your expectations. Just run the balls, and if you are playing against someone, do not count, let them count for you.

This is solid advice. I would add that it's very important to not take your eye off object ball (even for a split second) when going into stack with the white or trying to weave the cue ball through tight quarters. That is what ended most of my runs when I first started practicing much 14.1, figuring out the tangent while standing up and incorporating this into pre shot routine is of major importance.The human eye is extremely quick and it is easy to take your eye off object ball if your wondering where cue ball will hit the rack while down on the shot. There you have it. Remember even top players do not always know exactly where cue ball will contact the stack, this includes world champions - I know cause I asked them.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
This is solid advice. I would add that it's very important to not take your eye off object ball (even for a split second) when going into stack with the white or trying to weave the cue ball through tight quarters. That is what ended most of my runs when I first started practicing much 14.1, figuring out the tangent while standing up and incorporating this into pre shot routine is of major importance.The human eye is extremely quick and it is easy to take your eye off object ball if your wondering where cue ball will hit the rack while down on the shot. There you have it. Remember even top players do not always know exactly where cue ball will contact the stack, this includes world champions - I know cause I asked them.

Nice post here Danny. Thanks for your insight. I will incorporate this thought into my game.

Thanks

Kevin

neonlight

Registered
I have had the good fortune to play Danny H. 6 or 8 times in the last 3 months(Ken).
You are very fortunate for his response to your question. He has found me moving my eyes off the object ball most of the times I miss a shot. His advice to you is the same he has offered me on several occasions. I expect to run 30 - 40 balls and occasionally run more. However run is cut short by moving my eyes. I understand your frustration and following his advice will help your game. He has taught me numerous other aspects of the game. Watching him and listening to Danny has helped me realize his extreme skill level and love of 14.1. It is incredible to play with someone that is a world class player. If I could offer you advice, find and play against a world class player. Ask questions and practice what they teach you. Hopefully one day you will have the opportunity to play 14.1 with Danny Harriman.

Michael S

Registered
I have gone back and played with the advice given and found it helped quite a bit. I now do not take my eyes off that shot. I was pleasantly surprised to actually learned about what was happening as the shot unfolded.

Thank you everyone for the solid advice. I've taken it to heart.