Is there a safety here?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point. I understand.

When ONLINE I sometimes forget that we aren't always on the same level or at least close.

I have a bad habit of doing that.

I wouldn't strongly advise an APA 5 to play safe on that shot.

Eventhough, IMO..just like the bank....people are making the safe out to be way harder than it actually is.

Jeff
I think the safe that Andrew illustrated a page or 2 ago is beyond easy. Not sure there'd be much disagreement there.

The problem with it is that it opens the door for your opponent to respond and sometimes, respond in a manner that causes the safety to result in a loss.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

When ONLINE I sometimes forget that we aren't always on the same level or at least close.

Eventhough, IMO..just like the bank....people are making the safe out to be way harder than it actually is.

Jeff

I think a lot of it has to do with not being able to see the layout in person,Table drawings make it tuff.

The arguing/discussing makes it fun though :)

The only thing I 100% disagree with in this entire thread is playing off the bottom rail into the 8, by bumping the 8 toward the 11, most of us might just pick up the CB and hand it to the 5, say good luck and let them deal with the 8/11.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

Jeff

Jeff;

I can't speak for others but I would agree with you that executing the safe is not very hard but I'm not seeing it as a federal penitentiary kind of lockup safe. I believe that all of the escape options previously mentioned plus the poss RAM shots and even a poss 11 straight in the side if whitey ended up that way all tell me that the high % bank is the higher % play.

And yes, the player's handicaps certainly also weigh into it.

best,
brian kc

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Safe attempt1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200212-175659.jpg
    Screenshot_20200212-175659.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 66

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better lie after banking, if ball had hung...interestingly enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200212-180041.jpg
    Screenshot_20200212-180041.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 70

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some of the problem is that the balls are larger in proportion to the table in the example. One of the considerations is how far is the 8 ball off of the rail, etc. It is still a tough call but base it on your confidence.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I mostly play solo and have a couple friends that are ballpark 625ish speed. Those people, I'm not as worried about.....

But.....ever so often I play with guys that are 690ish all the way up to 740ish and those fellows can and WILL put a pack on my a55 if I don't play very SMART. This group of players will torch me if I don't have a very good saftey game.

Sure, I'm capable of putting packs together but, it does me absolutely no good to put a 3 pack together and then sell out only to have a 4 or 5 pack returned.

Only time I play fish is when I'm playing myself...

Jeff

We’re seeing things from opposite points of view, Jeff.
The better the player, the more I’ll go for a shot...might be the best one I get.
...if I’m playing a weak player, I’m more liable to play safe, I figure to win those battles.

In the 90s, I played a 9-ball tournament in Detroit...didn’t know my first opponent...
..he won the flip and broke like King Kong...impressive....he had a long shot on the 1-ball,
but it would get him shape on the 2-ball, and not necessarily sell out if he missed.
....he ducked instead...hooked me good enough that I just locked up two balls and handed
whitey to him....muttered to a buddy, “He can’t win, he’s too afraid of losing.”
...I beat him 11-2

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
There always a safety but you weren't going to get a better shot at the 8 than you had right there.

Sent from the future.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We’re seeing things from opposite points of view, Jeff.
The better the player, the more I’ll go for a shot...might be the best one I get.
...if I’m playing a weak player, I’m more liable to play safe, I figure to win those battles.

In the 90s, I played a 9-ball tournament in Detroit...didn’t know my first opponent...
..he won the flip and broke like King Kong...impressive....he had a long shot on the 1-ball,
but it would get him shape on the 2-ball, and not necessarily sell out if he missed.
....he ducked instead...hooked me good enough that I just locked up two balls and handed
whitey to him....muttered to a buddy, “He can’t win, he’s too afraid of losing.”
...I beat him 11-2

I understand what your saying and yes, a person can play safe to a point to where they can't win.

You have to know when to hold em....and fold em..

All I know is that I have went toe ro toe with josh Roberts, Danny Smith, Casper, Warren K, Hennessy and lots more mid-level to lower-level pros and got the cheese with no weight and my safes were usually what made the difference.

Again, I understand what your thinking and I agree........you HAVE TO go for a shot sometimes or it will be a loss.

Nothing personal to you or anyone else but, I'm starting to think I may play little stronger than you guys realize.

Either way, it's good.

Jeff

JC

Coos Cues
I understand what your saying and yes, a person can play safe to a point to where they can't win.

All I know is that I have went toe ro toe with josh Roberts, Danny Smith, Casper, Warren K, Hennessy and lots more mid-level to lower-level pros and got the cheese with no weight and my safes were usually what made the difference.

Again, I understand what your thinking and I agree........you HAVE TO go for a shot sometimes or it will be a loss.

Nothing personal to you or anyone else but, I'm starting to think I may play little stronger than you guys realize.

Either way, it's good.

Jeff

I would love to see a video of you playing a match Jeff. Do any exist?

Thanks

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Either way, it's good.

Jeff

No, I think a few of us know you can play lol.