Freddie Agnir

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It’s nearly linguistically equivalent to Balner. I always thought that was it. But the normal story is that it’s named after Arnold.

Fred, What was your original screen name on AZ Billiards? I can't think of it. Maybe it was just Fred Agnir?

I would also like to find that picture of your ponytail cut off. PT I'm a golfer too - 10.4 index when I'm playing regularly, but pool is my game.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's true Freddie! Jack White was a very close friend with both Eugene and Ina Balner. Gene told Jack that when he went into business for himself he thought "Nobody knows the name Balner...but everybody knows Arnold Palmer's name!" So it became Palmer Custom Cues, a very reputable cuemaker for more than 3 decades. Jack watched young Peter Balner grow up in their shop, and eventually become part of the business.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

It’s nearly linguistically equivalent to Balner. I always thought that was it. But the normal story is that it’s named after Arnold.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Darn, I can't remember. I remember he changed his name though and showed a picture of his cut off ponytail.

It was "Fred Agnir". That's how I met him, before he started calling himself "Freddie" or "Cornerman".

Actually, it goes back to RSB.

Eric >still Eric

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fred, What was your original screen name on AZ Billiards? I can't think of it. Maybe it was just Fred Agnir?

I would also like to find that picture of your ponytail cut off. PT I'm a golfer too - 10.4 index when I'm playing regularly, but pool is my game.

There’s a long story, but I used all iterations of my name: Freddie, Frederick, and Fred (in that order) in my early internet years.. Almost nobody in my inner circle called or calls me Fred, but my boss did, and I never stopped him. It’s always been Freddie at home. I thought it was the adult thing to do to answer to Fred. Obviously, it’s a natural form of Frederick, but I’ve never associated with Fred. My father (Federico) was also never known as Fred in his inner circle, but colleagues would automatically call him Fred, and like me, it got too late to correct things. He regretted not correcting people until his death. I don’t want that to happen to me.

I switched to Cornerman after I started writing for InsidePOOL I had Mike Howerton delete my account, and I started over with Cornerman. I was inspired by my friend Steve Ellis, who switches from using his name to using Cats Cradle as his username. Then other forums told me that they could just change my username instead of deleting my account. I regret not knowing that was an option.

Anyway, it’s Freddie to my family and close friends. Always has been. In 2011, someone convinced me to take my name back. I’m trying my best.

Freddie <~~~ will answer to anything close

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Freddie's the man for sure! Proud to have known him for many years now.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Freddie - getting some ink! You've arrived and thrived. Much deserved. :thumbup2: