Old
  (#16)
Lockbox
AzB Silver Member
Lockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-14-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
It took me awhile to find the elbow position (distance from body) and shoulder position (how parallel with cue) that brought the cue directly under my elbow, shoulder and vision in a way that my stroke naturally stayed on line over a wide range of speeds. For me it was elbow a little farther out and shoulders a little more parallel. It's probably a little different for everybody.

It helps me to take a moment after getting down to be aware of those things (stick, grip hand, elbow, shoulder, vision) and their alignment in the shot plane. I try to continue this stance check even (especially) after the stance becomes habitual.

pj
chgo
Can you expand on this "stance check?" Especially when warming up, what goes through your mind before you execute the stroke, that tells you you're on (or not)?

Old
  (#17)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-14-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockbox View Post
Can you expand on this "stance check?" Especially when warming up, what goes through your mind before you execute the stroke, that tells you you're on (or not)?
My stance check is just a mental inventory of the relative positions of my grip hand, elbow, shoulder and vision - do they feel like they're in the same vertical "shot plane"? (if not, tweak elbow and shoulder positions) - is my stick aligned precisely on the line I want it on for the shot? - is my head turned to face the shot squarely? Your checklist might be a little different.

I do this before taking any warmup strokes - if not, I spend warmup strokes doing the same thing less efficiently and accurately.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#18)
Lockbox
AzB Silver Member
Lockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond reputeLockbox has a reputation beyond repute

06-14-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
My stance check is just a mental inventory of the relative positions of my grip hand, elbow, shoulder and vision - do they feel like they're in the same vertical "shot plane"? (if not, tweak elbow and shoulder positions) - is my stick aligned precisely on the line I want it on for the shot? - is my head turned to face the shot squarely? Your checklist might be a little different.

I do this before taking any warmup strokes - if not, I spend warmup strokes doing the same thing less efficiently and accurately.

pj
chgo
I like the info. I practice most days and sometimes I just go through the motions until about 10 minutes in. I am trying to get better about having a "checklist" or inventory as you state before I shoot.

Right now I have a few things that I absolutely try to focus on.

1. Palm flat on the table
2. Elbow up (I imagine a string tied to my elbow being pulled towards the ceiling).
3. Pinky in (in essence, stroke straight). I have found that when I curl my right hand pinky and keep it in place, it stablizes my wrist and I can stroke straight, rather than have a sway. Sometimes changing my alignment is needed to achieve this.
4. Slow, final, takeback. Slow, steady acceleration through the shot.
5. Stay down on the shot until the ball is potted/missed.

Anyone else have a similar checklist?

Old
  (#19)
tableroll
AzB Silver Member
tableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medallio View Post
Testing out the digicue blue and find I tend to steer tip to the right at times. What causes this?
My straightness and tip steering scores have been greatly lowered by focusing on correct stance but mostly on cradling my cue lighter. I already thought I was holding it as lightly as possible. I focused on using the fourth finger from the thumb and the "V" formed by the thumb and forefinger as the cradle. Another key ingredient to a better stroke is to always think and focus on your stroke fundamentals during practice so that they eventually become automatic. In order to develop a clean, smooth, repeatable stroke, I focus on 1. eyes on object ball at contact, 2. Stroke movement at elbow joint ONLY, 3. Zero head and body movement. 4. Slow backswing and pause at end of backswing. 5. Steady increase of acceleration during delivery. 5. Stay down until ball stops moving.

Old
  (#20)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-29-2018, 12:27 PM

tableroll...It's not how you hold onto the cue. It's more about training your hand not to squeeze the cue tightly, as you strike the CB...even on the break. I can teach it to anyone.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableroll View Post
My straightness and tip steering scores have been greatly lowered by focusing on correct stance but mostly on cradling my cue lighter. I already thought I was holding it as lightly as possible. I focused on using the fourth finger from the thumb and the "V" formed by the thumb and forefinger as the cradle. Another key ingredient to a better stroke is to always think and focus on your stroke fundamentals during practice so that they eventually become automatic. In order to develop a clean, smooth, repeatable stroke, I focus on 1. eyes on object ball at contact, 2. Stroke movement at elbow joint ONLY, 3. Zero head and body movement. 4. Slow backswing and pause at end of backswing. 5. Steady increase of acceleration during delivery. 5. Stay down until ball stops moving.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#21)
One Pocket John
AzB Gold Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

07-10-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medallio View Post
Testing out the digicue blue and find I tend to steer tip to the right at times. What causes this?
Your body is not align properly with the shot line to allow for your shooting arm to fall down naturally on the shot line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGBFRln32uo&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPn3Wzp4NT8

Get this down and you will be good to go.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 07-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: