AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs Classifieds FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page Starrett level?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Starrett level?
Old
  (#1)
jtompilot
AzB Silver Member
jtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond reputejtompilot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Starrett level? - 02-22-2015, 09:23 PM

I have a GC4 that I need to relocate. I'm thinking about trying to set it up myself, I have plenty of time to kill.

If I buy a Starrett level should I get a 6, 8, or 12 inch level?

Thanks

Old
  (#2)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues
Renegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond repute

02-23-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
I have a GC4 that I need to relocate. I'm thinking about trying to set it up myself, I have plenty of time to kill.

Thanks
6 is good, 8 is better, 12 is very expensive, but more accurate.

A 6 or 8 used on a beam, like a good carpenter level for better span is good.

Renegade_56

If winning is so easy why aren't the losers doing it?

R56 Custom Cues on Facebook

Table
Old
  (#3)
ROB.M
:)
ROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 980

Table - 02-23-2015, 01:36 PM

Don't trust a carpenters level to be dead flat or as flat as a Starrett 98, you can use a carpenters level with a machinist level on top to level the frame but I do not suggest it on top of the slate and my reason why is this > I've found that most carpenters levels even with a machined edge are no where near as flat as the bottom of a Starrett 98 level. I've put two different quality/name brand carpenters levels on Starrett true stones and put my Starrett level on top with a piece of notebook paper in between to slide the Starrett level from end to end on the carpenters level on both foot print side.. The smaller the level I put on top the more void I found.
the carpenters levels can not maintain dead flat from end to end...those aluminum levels can really move with climate and use conditions.
SO, be careful my friends' and level responsibly

Rob.M

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_56 View Post

Couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie'

Old
  (#4)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues
Renegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlitethat View Post
Don't trust a carpenters level to be dead flat or as flat as a Starrett 98, you can use a carpenters level with a machinist level on top to level the frame but I do not suggest it on top of the slate and my reason why is this > I've found that most carpenters levels even with a machined edge are no where near as flat as the bottom of a Starrett 98 level. I've put two different quality/name brand carpenters levels on Starrett true stones and put my Starrett level on top with a piece of notebook paper in between to slide the Starrett level from end to end on the carpenters level on both foot print side.. The smaller the level I put on top the more void I found.
the carpenters levels can not maintain dead flat from end to end...those aluminum levels can really move with climate and use conditions.
SO, be careful my friends' and level responsibly

Rob.M

-
That's exactly what this means Rob,,,,,"A 6 or 8 used on a beam, like a good carpenter level for better span is good"

That said, nothing like slow rolling balls for fine tuning if needed.

Renegade_56

Old
  (#5)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-24-2015, 04:49 PM

Just curious. It seems to me that the longer the level the more we're just averaging. On the other hand real short level could drive someone nuts on an old table.

For me it doesn't seem right to put a 12" precision level on top of a $25 carpenters level. Am I wrong? Would like to learn something on this. What's the advantage?

If I had my druthers I'd have a set of 8", 10" & 12" maybe 15" then I could narrow things down when needed, or not. For now I'll just settle on my 12".

BTW there are some quality "carpenters levels" with specs of .0005. Starrett has them under the Exact brand (they bought the company). They offer milled surfaces and probably certs. Just saying. Still 24" seems long.

Not a table mechanic, just a tool nerd.

Old
  (#6)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what this means Rob,,,,,"A 6 or 8 used on a beam, like a good carpenter level for better span is good"

That said, nothing like slow rolling balls for fine tuning if needed.
I think what Rob was saying was that the frames on a carpenter level are not as square as the measuring surface on the Starrett. I can put my Starrett 98-12 on different carpenter levels and get different readings on each level, I can also rotate the carpenter level 180 degrees and get a different reading. The carpenter levels are just nowhere near accurate enough for a machinists level, even just using as a straight edge. To make a short machinists level longer you need a precision straight edge, preferably ground. If you get lucky and test enough different carpenter levels you may get lucky and find a good one. All you need is a flat surface and your machinists level to test them. Put the carpenter level on a flat surface, then put machinists level on top of that, take a reading, rotate carpenter level only 180 degrees and see if you get the same reading on the machinists level. The test will only be as good as your set up accuracy.

Old
  (#7)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues

02-26-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post
I think what Rob was saying was that the frames on a carpenter level are not as square as the measuring surface on the Starrett. I can put my Starrett 98-12 on different carpenter levels and get different readings on each level, I can also rotate the carpenter level 180 degrees and get a different reading. The carpenter levels are just nowhere near accurate enough for a machinists level, even just using as a straight edge. To make a short machinists level longer you need a precision straight edge, preferably ground. If you get lucky and test enough different carpenter levels you may get lucky and find a good one. All you need is a flat surface and your machinists level to test them. Put the carpenter level on a flat surface, then put machinists level on top of that, take a reading, rotate carpenter level only 180 degrees and see if you get the same reading on the machinists level. The test will only be as good as your set up accuracy.
OK, then just use a beam of some sort with exactly parallel sides,,, if you can find one. I stated a level as a pretty good beam that is readily available.

Note that a precision level can easily be calibrated to whatever BEAM you choose to use, it just needs to stay fixed after calibrating.

Renegade_56

Old
  (#8)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

02-26-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
OK, then just use a beam of some sort with exactly parallel sides,,, if you can find one. I stated a level as a pretty good beam that is readily available.

Note that a precision level can easily be calibrated to whatever BEAM you choose to use, it just needs to stay fixed after calibrating.
Thats all I was trying to point out. Compared to the sensitivity of a machinists level it can be difficult to find a good enough beam level. Just make sure if you use this method that you carefully check the "bar" that you put the machinists level on so you do not get useless readings, garbage in garbage out kinda thing.

Old
  (#9)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

02-27-2015, 04:17 PM

It seems to me there's a step missing. The surface should be perfectly level and the machinist level should be calibrated to the surface being used. Then check the beam for parallel edges and accuracy. The main problem with cheap beams is in the vials.

Precision tubes with consistent and precise/accurate curves are also part of the cost of a quality level.

Old
  (#10)
PaleHood
AzB Bronze Member
PaleHood is on a distinguished road

03-02-2015, 02:38 AM

Have anyone try to leveling with optical levelling

(#11)
ROB.M
:)
ROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 980

Post - 03-02-2015, 06:05 AM

Only when cutting slate slabs from the quarry would I need a optical level..
A machinist level is ground much more flat than most slate.
Starrett only uses high quality vials that are ground and graduated to tight specs.
You'll find that there are 101 ways to achieve level/flat..how you get there is on you... But there is a standard system being implemented that we've found to work flawlessly time and time again using one or several Starrett model 98 levels.

Rob.M

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHood View Post
Have anyone try to leveling with optical levelling

Couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie'

Old
  (#12)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

07-11-2018, 01:37 PM

If I made a living setting up tables I'd but a half dozen good machinist levels to get the job done faster. I do my own table once per decade. Get the center slate close with whatever level you own and then start watching slow rolling balls in different directions and adjust accordingly. Adjust the other slabs by using something long and straight to make them as close to a single plane with that center slate...then start rolling balls again.

If you can slow roll balls and be happy with the roll on bare slate, it will be as good as needed with cloth. Yes, it can be tedious but how the balls roll is all that matters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#13)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

07-11-2018, 01:38 PM

duplicate

Last edited by logical; 07-12-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Old
  (#14)
logical
sarcasm while you wait

07-11-2018, 01:40 PM

duplicate

Last edited by logical; 07-12-2018 at 07:51 AM.

Old
  (#15)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

07-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
There are Starrett levels, and then there are Starrett levels.

Can't advise on length but you probably want the 98-series, which have ground vials and .005" /ft accuracy (per division)

The 97 series looks the same, but has bent glass vials like a carpenter level, and about the same accuracy; variously reported (on machinist sites) as around .015"/ft/division.

Point being, be careful not to pay 98 prices for a mere 97 someone is trying to palm off.

If you want to drive yourself nuts, get the Starrett 199. No, not really. Good for rescraping machine ways (in concert with a scraped straight edge & surface plate). But the .0005" (1/2 thousandth)/ft /division accuracy means it moves if you breath on it, or walk around the table to the other side, and it is off the scale most of the time, so really difficult to work with outside of machine rebuilding.

smt

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: