How would you play this?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The Chinese 8-ball I've seen did not require you to call shots but if there was anything funny about the shot it didn't count. On one shot a ball straight into the side jumped up, hit the cue ball again and went back in the side. It didn't count.

You just cured me of ever wanting to play Chinese 8-ball.
.....seems like the bar rules crowd has no cultural barriers.

We have one of those tables at our room....it would be interesting to play one pocket on.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I got this layout the other day (stripes). The game is 8-ball and the score is hill-hill.

My opponent makes 3 balls on the break and is running out, but misses his last solid. I don't really play much 8-ball and I'm positive the pattern I was going for was definitely not the right/easiest one.
How would you (try to) play this?

EkQFffg.jpg

Call the stripe in the corner in case it falls in, using it to knock the last solid in, drawing the cue ball at an angle to the far side of the table for the 14-ball.

If the stripe fails to fall, you'll get a second inning at the table in almost every case.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got this layout the other day (stripes). The game is 8-ball and the score is hill-hill.

My opponent makes 3 balls on the break and is running out, but misses his last solid. I don't really play much 8-ball and I'm positive the pattern I was going for was definitely not the right/easiest one.
How would you (try to) play this?

EkQFffg.jpg

Start with the three balls at the top of the table (nine, thirteen, fourteen) and then come down for the eleven, ten and fifteen last. That looks like the simplest pattern to play and you don't need any heroics to get out. The fifteen is your only problem ball, but saving it for last gives you more pockets to shoot at, and the proximity to the eight ball is helpful for your final position.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This should be real easy - just play the 9 13 14 in any order that you are most comfortable- then the 10 and 11 in the order dictated by your cue ball position when you go back down table for the last 3 stripes. I disagree with some as I believe the 15 is the last stripe to be pocketed - now you have 5 pockets to choose for it and get on the 8 in the easiest way possible - anyone who considers themselves a very good player should get out from here 80% minimum.

Mosconi knows! You never want to be going up and down the table if you don't have to. I like shooting the 11 before the 10, but it can be done either way depending on the position you get when you come down table.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call the stripe in the corner in case it falls in, using it to knock the last solid in, drawing the cue ball at an angle to the far side of the table for the 14-ball.

If the stripe fails to fall, you'll get a second inning at the table in almost every case.

Correct - and you remove the biggest potential problem ball for stripes.

diazr3

Registered
Start with the three balls at the top of the table (nine, thirteen, fourteen) and then come down for the eleven, ten and fifteen last. That looks like the simplest pattern to play and you don't need any heroics to get out. The fifteen is your only problem ball, but saving it for last gives you more pockets to shoot at, and the proximity to the eight ball is helpful for your final position.

This was my preferred method, leaving the 15 last leaves you a simple shot that is heading forward to shape up for the 8

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the caliber of either player.
Most would want to attempt the run out.
I'm one of them.
I'd get the 9ball gone first into the near pocket.
Then, the 13 in the same pocket with follow to
to get angle on the 14 In the opposite pocket.
Come down table with running English for the 11 in near pocket.
Draw back for 15 into upper right, and roll the cb up for the 10 into lower left.
Hopefully, you get straight enough to draw straight back for the 8 ball for the same pocket as the 10.
If I were playing someone I didn't think could kick well,
I'd roll the cb into the back of the 11 and try to freeze it up to get ball in hand.
Though it looks like the kick at the 7 is a slam dunk,
so I'd go for the gusto!

Kev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally got to upload the video, here it is: https://vimeo.com/294231253

The initial plan was to go 11, 9, 14, 13 and go one rail behind the 15, 10, 8. I got out of line on the 13 as I left too little angle and had to draw it 2 rails and underhit the 10 leaving a much tougher 15 than needed.
In hindsight I would have start with 9, 14, 13 and leave the 11 there as it makes for a nice key or insurance ball for either of those 3 remaining balls (15, 10 and 8).

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a really nice stroke, but there was absolutely nothing easy at all about that run out you executed, particularly regarding the last 3 balls.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Someone please explain to me how saving the 15 till last gives you more pockets to shoot at when it passes every ball but the 11 and the opponents ball. All pockets are open that are going to be open whenever you shoot the 15. This is why I think you play for it immediately.

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would shoot 9, 13 and leave an angle on the 14 to get down table behind the 15/making the opponents hanging ball with a slight draw shot on the 14 with the 11 as an insurance ball. Then, it's not a bad out and you have either made the opponents hanging ball or gotten rid of your trouble ball.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Distract my opponent, drop the 7 in the pocket, easy run out.

Attachments

• EkQFffg.jpg
    EkQFffg.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 125

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you meaning "I" play this or how should the OP play this? I feel like skill level is need to know thing for these questions.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
My first shot, shoot the ten with draw, and carom the 8 into the solid with speed and pocket it, this opens the table up completely, and at worst, moves the 8 ball to the foot rail. If I miss the carom into solid I might pocket it with another of my balls and lock em down with and up table hook.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like he was playing the ghost. VS an opponent I'd play the 15-7 combo and draw the cue ball up table to the head rail.

I haven't played 8 ball in years - almost exclusively 14.1 or equal offense in my basement. My brain tries to find the biggest problem and get rid of it early. I'd play the 10 in the corner and try to get below the 15. 15 is the biggest problem.

Another route is roll the 9 keeping the cue ball below the 14 and go multiple rails down table to get below the 15 - or pocket the 9 with high outside and try to get below the 15.

In both cases the 11 is an insurance ball. I would not have gotten rid of the 11 ball. However you do it, get below the 15 and use the 11 as an insurance ball.

Kev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you meaning "I" play this or how should the OP play this? I feel like skill level is need to know thing for these questions.

My opponent in this match is a teammember of A. Lely and N. Feijen, so he can play a little ;)