Where to use wood based on grain structure?

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a beautiful piece of curly hard maple but the grain isn’t the tightest.. maybe 6 rings per inch. Would the pros use this as a handle or forearm? Does this make a big difference in the feel of the cue? Thanks guys!

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The worst thing you can do aesthetically. Curly amplifies the wide grain and ,imo, looks horrible. Nothing says quality build better than a quality foundation.

Scrap the wide grain and always use tight, straight grain in every piece of wood in your cue.

PS This goes for Ivory too

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a beautiful piece of curly hard maple but the grain isn’t the tightest.. maybe 6 rings per inch. Would the pros use this as a handle or forearm? Does this make a big difference in the feel of the cue? Thanks guys!

Coring solves the problem of using your curly maple. It can be used as a front, handle, or butt sleeve. If you like it, any quality cue maker can utilize the curly.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I figured coring was the answer. If used as a handle without coring how does it would it change the overall dynamic of the cue? I’m assuming it’s less dense cause of the lack of growth rings. So would it hit like crap even if it’s used as a handle ?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Thanks. I figured coring was the answer. If used as a handle without coring how does it would it change the overall dynamic of the cue? I’m assuming it’s less dense cause of the lack of growth rings. So would it hit like crap even if it’s used as a handle ?

You want it cored as a handle too.
Depending on the forearm weight, you can even use purpleheart or rosewood core for the handle.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Joey, this is what I was thinking but needed some professional input. Thanks to everyone else for your answers also!

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used bolivian.
Granadillo or ipe are not rosewoods but are ok as heavy handle cores.

Not to be a stickler, but Bolivian "rosewood" is not a true rosewood, either. I know you are aware of that, but not everyone is.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If used as a handle without coring how does it would it change the overall dynamic of the cue? I’m assuming it’s less dense cause of the lack of growth rings

This is not automatic.
Sometimes young fast growing hardwood is actually denser.
Some OG, mellow material is not so dense.

But well selected OG will probably be more stable.
The wide grain stuff is "often" less so. :)

If you like the look, intelligent coring can help both ways. (increase stability, change mass & apparent density.

If you are making cues, try it. We all learn from failed experiments, and sometimes we are surprised and the experiment is a success.

smt

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

you are totally over thinking it............... you ... nor anyone else would ever notice a different feel of the cue..................

Kim