Mosconi cup payouts?

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did the winners and losers earn?

Think Matchroom made a decent profit from putting this on?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Its been going on since '94. You think MR would still be involved if it didn't improve their bottom line? Kinda doubt it. Purse is 150grand. IIRC its 20g's/man winners, 10g's/man losers. Not bad for 4 days of pool.

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

30K to winning players each

15k to losing players each

So $225,000 in payouts just for the players

I don't know how much coaches make ?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My guess is they make decent profit for sure but not awesome profit.
But it is still peanuts compared to what they make in their other sports like boxing (recently signed billion dollar deal in US to broadcast number of fights).
If it was mega profit, they would have launched Matchroom World Tour like snooker world tour.
Viewership numbers have grown for sure which is what they keep saying but not those eye popping numbers that will give them programming slot in major sports network.
Regardless, Matchroom is doing hell of a job and a big positive for pool. No other promoter puts live pool on cable TV
:smile:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In addition the players' expenses are taken care of. Tyler told me they got $40 per day of walking-around money. The Starbucks at MB is not cheap:).

I think that the Cup has only recently started to turn a profit. I remember the first year it was in Las Vegas. The venue could be described as cozy and intimate. And the stands were not full. This year 1700 seats sold out and the stands were packed at 11 AM each day for the first shot.

Also, there is considerably more television coverage. One of the Las Vegas editions was going to have a two-hour summary in the US on ESPN or Fox Sports until they noticed that there was music involved and they didn't want to pay for the rights. I believe last year was the first time you could get live coverage in the US of the whole thing.

For part of the final match I ended up sitting next to Barry Hearn. He mentioned that he was delighted that it was finally doing well financially. Next year at Alexandra Palace there will be 3000 seats. I imagine the US fans will be stronger there than ever. (He also mentioned that the US Open 9-Ball could conceivably go to 512 entries.)

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw A LOT of ad commercials. Annoying but it's money for
MR, which gets spreaded out to the players.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In addition the players' expenses are taken care of. Tyler told me they got $40 per day of walking-around money. The Starbucks at MB is not cheap:).

I think that the Cup has only recently started to turn a profit. I remember the first year it was in Las Vegas. The venue could be described as cozy and intimate. And the stands were not full. This year 1700 seats sold out and the stands were packed at 11 AM each day for the first shot.

Also, there is considerably more television coverage. One of the Las Vegas editions was going to have a two-hour summary in the US on ESPN or Fox Sports until they noticed that there was music involved and they didn't want to pay for the rights. I believe last year was the first time you could get live coverage in the US of the whole thing.

For part of the final match I ended up sitting next to Barry Hearn. He mentioned that he was delighted that it was finally doing well financially. Next year at Alexandra Palace there will be 3000 seats. I imagine the US fans will be stronger there than ever. (He also mentioned that the US Open 9-Ball could conceivably go to 512 entries.)

Can you place a bet on the matches in Vegas?

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that the 5 players split the 30k, the fact that they got 30k EACH is fvcking amazing! Good for those guys and great for another USA victory!

Charlie Hustle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent a fair amount of time in a few different sports books while I was there, and didn't see any that were taking bets on the Cup.

A long time ago Vegas took action on a pool tourney, that didn't work out too well for them. As far as I know, they haven't booked pool since. ;)

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A long time ago Vegas took action on a pool tourney, that didn't work out too well for them. As far as I know, they haven't booked pool since. ;)
So many false rumors about that nonsense is what killed pool betting in Vegas lol

1991 was the famous Challenge of Champions Mike LeBron vs. Buddy Hall

They still booked action on pool after that, here is the betting lines for same event in 1994 :)

challenge of champions sports book.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
So many false rumors about that nonsense is what killed pool betting in Vegas lol

1991 was the famous Challenge of Champions Mike LeBron vs. Buddy Hall

They still booked action on pool after that, here is the betting lines for same event in 1994 :)

View attachment 535750

They just didn't make anyone 20-1 again, like they had done for Lebron. Plus the promoter Matt Braun put some strict guidelines in place (in 1992) that could have nullified any and all payments if there were any shenanigans going on.

By the way there was extensive betting on this years Mosconi Cup with English sports book like William Hill and Ladbrokes. They made a line on the final outcome of the event. I believe that it was initially set at Europe -200 and USA +150.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He got $15k, he would have gotten $30k for first place, thus he was out $15k for getting 2nd place.