So Much for the Nonsense

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At approx 9:00PM Vegas time, the field of 256 has been reduced to 16. Let's hear from all the clowns who predicted they'd be playing until 6:00AM tomorrow in an attempt to get to 16. Maybe the DCC could learn a lesson from Match Room on how to run a highly populated tournament.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At approx 9:00PM Vegas time, the field of 256 has been reduced to 16. Let's hear from all the clowns who predicted they'd be playing until 6:00AM tomorrow in an attempt to get to 16. Maybe the DCC could learn a lesson from Match Room on how to run a highly populated tournament.

DCC has 400 bank players
300+ 1p
400 9b

All in one week.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played in 5 or 6 DCC’s, Matchroom on its first attempt can give the DCC the 5 out on running a large field tournament.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom has run more complex events including team sports with experience in at least 10 different sports.
US Open is individual sport, not team sport with much fewer variables despite what some would say.
Just need financial /human resources , good organisation/ management which other smaller organisers may not have or are willing to put in

rocket-science.png

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is all so very British. I was waiting for a “double” or a “screw” from the “commentary box” and was disappointed. So not completely British.

Oddly, almost no audience
Although, you can watch a
NY yankees game and see
Many empty seats behind
Home plate and all over

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DCC is stuck in the stone ages. They haven't updated their tournament software in 10 years. They still don't even record match scores. Their matches take forever, rarely start on time, and the scroll on the phone app is hit or miss every year.

I don't care what format they use. Buybacks/elimination/redraw/whatever, does not matter. Matchroom runs their tournament an order of magnitude better.

Maybe you can say well MR has 50 times the resources. That may be the case and the reason why. But regardless of the why, there is simply no comparison in the final product.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are ways to make buybacks run much faster than at DCC.

Bob <-- who has run more buyback tournaments than Diamond has.

I'm with you there Bob. I've done a lot of big field events and know how to get 'er done! I was TD for two U.S. Opens that had 256 man fields and we played down to the final four in five days, all the way with Double Elimination on only sixteen tables. The earlier version of the Swanee tournament used to be open to 256 players and we played the whole thing in TWO DAYS! Hello!! Race to Nine on the winners side and Race to Seven on the losers side. All were "roll-on, roll-off" scheduling of matches! We usually had 24-32 tables for this tournament (it was held in different poolrooms).

P.S. Every year Barry would promise to get me four to six shot clock people (for the slower matches) and it never happened. All the matches at these U.S. Opens were Races to Eleven with no shot clocks, just Kenny Shuman, Bill Stock and me telling them to speed up the pace of play. :)

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most delightful aspects of these two events (Matchroom and International) is that...
#1 They are efficient.
#2 No dogs on leashes
#3 No showboating by the TD
#4 No suffering through Behrman's daughter trying to sing.

"no bars, no bowling alleys, no pinball machines, just pool"

Word on the street is she is going to make an appearance to sing the Anthem before each play begins each of the next three days.

:p

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom isn't running a tournament with buy backs.
Of course they are. Buybacks are just a way of augmenting the entry fees and MR are giving players FREE buybacks (courtesy of their Double Elimination spots.

When a player arrives at any Matchroom event they are given a detailed schedule of times, tables, opponents and every other detail of their match. This is all pre prepared (with contingencies) to enable maximum efficiency.
When MR promoted the World 9 Ball Championships in Cardiff, even the pre qualifiers, which I ran, catered for 500+ matches and gave players five chances of reaching the final stages where they played double elimination again.
All it requires is foolproof paperwork to make it run as smooth as silk

hlymnstr14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course they are. Buybacks are just a way of augmenting the entry fees and MR are giving players FREE buybacks (courtesy of their Double Elimination spots.

That is a really smart way of looking at a double elimination tournament. Single elimination with free buybacks...:thumbup:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Who are "all the clowns?" I've heard 99% excitement and praise for this - why focus on a tiny amount of negativity, or invent it when it isn't there?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

When a player arrives at any Matchroom event they are given a detailed schedule of times, tables, opponents and every other detail of their match. This is all pre prepared (with contingencies) to enable maximum efficiency.
When MR promoted the World 9 Ball Championships in Cardiff, even the pre qualifiers, which I ran, catered for 500+ matches and gave players five chances of reaching the final stages where they played double elimination again.
All it requires is foolproof paperwork to make it run as smooth as silk

You clearly don’t know what a buy back option tournament is. They have to redraw every round. That’s not to say that DCC can’t be more efficient, but the redraw process is a big part of the time challenge

Freddie <~~~ thinks MR is doing an amazing job