Gambling and pool

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't expect pool to ever be a real popular sport-game, etc. that millions want to pay to watch like they do other sports and I don't ever expect it to be and Olympic sport.

For one thing, pool has so many games that are played and called pool, how would one be picked for most pleasing to the masses.

How about gambling and pool, does it help the image of pool when the top players gamble big bucks with one another? It seems like other sports cast a dim view of players betting on their games, but in pool it is applauded.

I don't blame them for trying to make money, as they have to live like any one else.

So when and who is the next big money match?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
^^^^^^
Gambling didn’t hurt golf...some great golfers in the past refused to play PGA because
the money was better in action....Tim Holland was one of the ones of note.

What golf had...also snooker...was an organization that sponsors could do business with.

Poker got some pretty good $$$$ also

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ubadeabudeabudea

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190823-151243.jpg
    Screenshot_20190823-151243.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 538

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't expect pool to ever be a real popular sport-game, etc. that millions want to pay to watch like they do other sports and I don't ever expect it to be and Olympic sport.

For one thing, pool has so many games that are played and called pool, how would one be picked for most pleasing to the masses.

How about gambling and pool, does it help the image of pool when the top players gamble big bucks with one another? It seems like other sports cast a dim view of players betting on their games, but in pool it is applauded.

I don't blame them for trying to make money, as they have to live like any one else.

Two of the most popular, well respected professional golfers recently played a challenge match for huge $$. Put their own money in the middle supposedly. Sold it on PPV and people ate it up. Tiger and Phil's gambling match didn't seem to be looked down upon by the PGA.

I don't know if I've ever played in a scramble or foursome where there wasn't gambling...and I have played behind a group of guys that held their tour card playing for $100 bucks a hole...and I would still imagine that's peanuts to many folks. Me, I'm more of a buck a hole guy!

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When was the last time you heard of two players gambling with each other for big bucks? They may have played while someone else gambled on them but but it's the stakehorse's money at risk. No different that the NFL puttong on a show every weekend for the gamblers and bookies.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When was the last time you heard of two players gambling with each other for big bucks? They may have played while someone else gambled on them but but it's the stakehorse's money at risk. No different that the NFL puttong on a show every weekend for the gamblers and bookies.

Except one is a business and the other is in the shade?

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I hate that our sport is referred to as "pool." I can't look up female players without google images showing asain chicks in bikinis. Even the olympic ads have to call it billiards, you know..the Olympics already have a sport that uses pools. :rolleyes:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
looking for a table

I hate that our sport is referred to as "pool." I can't look up female players without google images showing asain chicks in bikinis. Even the olympic ads have to call it billiards, you know..the Olympics already have a sport that uses pools. :rolleyes:

Hard to search ads for a pool table too. Aside from anything else, "pool" didn't refer to any game, it referred to the pool of money bet on the game, whatever it was. Seems like there should be a better name. I'm not crazy about pocket billiards because I suspect I would have issues with pocket in the search too.

I think the only way to get pool moving is a new game that captures the public's imagination. That seems easier said than done.

Hu

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
........I think the only way to get pool moving is a new game that captures the public's imagination. That seems easier said than done.

Hu

8 ball is the key.

IPT had that part right.

If the Bonus Ball people would have played 8 ball as opposed to a game almost no one had ever heard of, they MIGHT have got some traction.

Most “pool players” these days are the league players. They can relate to 8 ball. Most of the non pool playing public think 9 ball is a luck game, but know 8 ball.

And there is no fooking way one pocket or 14.1 will ever appeal to mass audience.

Stick with the stalwart game and go from there. Try to get the league players interested in watching it. Then try to branch out if there seems to be good buy in.

It’s unlikely that pool will ever be more than it ever has in its heyday. So the question is what is the magic number to make another go worthwhile.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I don't think gambling plays a very big role in the perception of pool.

People who appreciate gambling will gamble on just about anything if conditions allow, pool and otherwise. Conversely, people who don't like gambling, won't.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good input

Thanks for the input and sharing of opinions.

I was not aware of golf pros openly gambling with one another. Lots of stuff I am not aware of though.

The good news is three guys are coming over tonight for some two man team 9 and 10 Ball. We will probably make ten dollar a set bets. I lost 20 bucks last time, darn it.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member

Years ago, in the 60’s times were different. Local guys didn’t have a chance to go to the very few tournaments. At least not in my neck of the woods, so you matched up locals or the “road” players that came to town looking for a game. Some of the players who came through or lived In Phoenix area who I played Cole Dickson, Keith McCready, San Jose Dick, and Pete Glenn.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Skiing has a bizillion events with hundreds of skiers in each category and still made the Olympics.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You say that like it is a negative?!:eek::D