UPA is a joke. Stay away. ( rant )

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know Jakes. Just moved to the area recently. Pretty sure Jerry's is there though as I hit some balls there yesterday.

Hahaha, ok cool a new one! (at least to me, don't get up there too often.) I will check it out. Jake's was quite the hangout for a few characters (as most pool places are.)

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have thought that part of being a perfectionist would include ascertaining what the rules were ahead of time.

This wasn't forgetting to ask about rules we all know regarding the game. This is a one-off quirky situation. They are doing something nobody has ever heard of, they KNOW they are doing something nobody has ever heard of. This is nothing like BIH/kitchen rules.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I play in UPA 8 ball Masters but it's a team league, not singles. Normally, there is 50 points up for grab a night, 10 for each match. The only way for for a possible split points per match where someone doesn't get all 10 points is when the lower rated player looses but wins at least half of the games they are supposed to to win the match. Then the split would be 7-3 instead of 10-0.

Now besides the 50 points per night, there is 10 bonus points per week available for each team. To get all 10 points, all paperwork must be done correctly and signed & dated by each person that shoots plus the captains signing & dating the main scoresheet at the end of play.

A few years back my team got 2 of the ten bonus points taken away because one of my players signed just an X for his name instead of writing out his whole name. Reason he only wrote an X was he had a stroke 3 weeks prior and his writing hand was still numb. Tried to reason with corporate but they didn't seem to care.

I used to love playing in the league but it's turned into complete horseshit lately. The scoring system blows although it was created by a "pro" player. One of my players has been a 5 for the past 4 years, then in a 6 week period he got raised to an 8. 3 sessions later and still no explanation how he went up 3 ratings in 6 weeks after being the same rating for 4 years. Since he got raised to an 8, he has lost 85% of his matches and no signs of him being lowered anytime soon.

Leagues rating system goes from 1-10. Players rated 4-5's run 5 to 6 balls a couple racks per night but never get moved up. It's a shitshow, especially since the UPA takes $3 per person per match out of $10. I feel we can create a better scoring system and not be under any league and run our own better. Plus the prize fund would be better.

How hard can it be, it's a 4 team league in house?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I feel we can create a better scoring system and not be under any league and run our own better. Plus the prize fund would be better.

How hard can it be, it's a 4 team league in house?
The problem is setting it up so that the person who does the work will stick around or so there is so little work anyone can do it in a few minutes per month, like maybe the room owner.

I think there are several web-based options. I'd look at the FargoRate League Management System. There are also other on-line league systems that are not pool specific.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 527946

I was on the hill, I broke, ran to the 8 and hung it up really deep in the pocket. His stripe was frozen next to it and all of his balls were on the other side of the table don't remember exactly where but no hangers. I assumed he was gonna play some sort of a lock up safety since the 8 was so deep in the pocket or bank it. I guess he didn't want me kicking. He shoots one of the balls on the other side, goes 3 rails and tries to get between the 8 and the frozen ball. He makes the ball but doesn't get there. He tries again. This time he makes another long tough shot, goes 3 rails through all the traffic, and lands between the 8 and the stripe with just enough angle to move the whitey out of there. :eek: He then runs out, takes a break, comes back with a different cue and breaks and runs for the win. I was really pissed and really impressed at the same time.

ha I hear ya..nice one tho, thanks

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait, UPA is still around? I didn't know they had a league. Is it run by CW/Dragon? Do they make you sign a contract and bar you from playing in other leagues?:)

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said in my op I asked both LOs the rules multiple times. They never mentioned the extra 10 points one gets for paperwork and being on time. They literally said it's very simple, you win you get 10 points, the most points at the end of the season gets the cash. I also asked how much is 1st place and he wouldn't tell me. He made it sound like it's really complicated and it depends. They are collecting fees every week from players, it shouldn't be hidden. Another reason I'm done with UPA masters.

Are the rules not published somewhere? A perfectionist would have fact checked what they were told.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This wasn't forgetting to ask about rules we all know regarding the game. This is a one-off quirky situation. They are doing something nobody has ever heard of, they KNOW they are doing something nobody has ever heard of. This is nothing like BIH/kitchen rules.

So since league rules are in a separate category from game rules you don't need to know what they are? Aren't the league rules published somewhere? No one knows what the league rules are?

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So since league rules are in a separate category from game rules you don't need to know what they are? Aren't the league rules published somewhere? No one knows what the league rules are?

Those are questions I can't answer, but they intentionally omitted information..so screw 'em.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
exactly if you want to play for fun then play in a league and dont care what happens.
its for fun.

if you want to play serious pool go to a pool room and make games with players and gamble for an amount that feels good if you win and hurts if you lose.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG, pool players who are less than honest? I'm shocked, Shocked, SHOCKED, I say.

If you've read any of my posts I scream from the rooftops; expect nothing from pool and you won't be disappointed. You just gotta speak with your dollars, you don't want to be honest? You don't want my money either. Peace out and bad luck to you.

juspooln

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are questions I can't answer, but they intentionally omitted information..so screw 'em.

I can https://upatour.com/upa-official-team-guidelines/ https://upatour.com/upa-official-singles-guidelines/

just to make it a little easier for OP

5.0 Bonus Points

Players have an opportunity to receive up to ten (10) Bonus Points per match based on performance in the following areas:

3 points = Courtesy Points/Starting on time
3 points = Accurately/Completely submitting all paperwork
4 points = Membership/Nightly Dues paid in full

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can https://upatour.com/upa-official-team-guidelines/ https://upatour.com/upa-official-singles-guidelines/

5.0 Bonus Points

Players have an opportunity to receive up to ten (10) Bonus Points per match based on performance in the following areas:

Nah, it is always better to take the word of a couple of pool players than to bother looking up the rules. Perfectionist doesn't mean what the OP thinks it does.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

5.0 Bonus Points

Thanks, I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it in print. :speechless:

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah, it is always better to take the word of a couple of pool players than to bother looking up the rules. Perfectionist doesn't mean what the OP thinks it does.

Man, I'm guessing you work for UPA or something? I've seen the LO around for over 4 years. I've played both LOs in tourneys over the years. I've chatted with him hundreds of times. Never had beef. I had no reason to believe they would misinform me about the most important and basic part: how one gets points. I asked BOTH LOs multiple times both in person and via texts so as far as I was concerned I was covered and ready to compete. Not sure if you're just trolling or actually trying to make a point. Like others on here have mentioned this was clearly intentional to have an edge over me in case I ended up playing too good. Hence I got the f out of there and warned others. The system is ridiculous and it allowed those with power to abuse it. But yeah, let's blame the fake "perfectionist" for not googling around for the fine print.

jbbilliards1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
man... I feel honored... but the 15 was a few inches higher lol
View attachment 527946

I was on the hill, I broke, ran to the 8 and hung it up really deep in the pocket. His stripe was frozen next to it and all of his balls were on the other side of the table don't remember exactly where but no hangers. I assumed he was gonna play some sort of a lock up safety since the 8 was so deep in the pocket or bank it. I guess he didn't want me kicking. He shoots one of the balls on the other side, goes 3 rails and tries to get between the 8 and the frozen ball. He makes the ball but doesn't get there. He tries again. This time he makes another long tough shot, goes 3 rails through all the traffic, and lands between the 8 and the stripe with just enough angle to move the whitey out of there. :eek: He then runs out, takes a break, comes back with a different cue and breaks and runs for the win. I was really pissed and really impressed at the same time.