Feed back on Ultraskin Pro density?

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was wondering how the forum liked or didn't like them. Input appreciated. Thanks

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pro

Tom, I've installed 2 of them for guy's that shoot with softer tips. One is a solid high B shooter and the other a good A. The B shooter loves it and said he's never felt a hit like it, he shot Med. Moori's and Tiger Great Whites before, his preference being the Great White on a Jacoby. He purchased 2 extra Pro's, from the same batch and said he's using them from now on. The A shooter was in love with your Soft and needed a new tip, so I installed him The Pro in exchange for feedback. He shot it for a week or so before I ran into him and he say's it's the best tip he's played, he tells me that every time I see him. I have not shot with them as I prefer a Harder tip, but when one of the Barnhart's needs new shoes, I'm going to give one a go. Thanks for a great product, Brian.
P.S. I believe you lose some sales for the price. I guess people will always think cost and quality are the same.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
tom

could you comment on mushrooming with your various tips??
or anyone else with experience using them
thanks

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
tom

could you comment on mushrooming with your various tips??
or anyone else with experience using them
thanks

Sure be happy to. The softer the tip and the harder you hit the ball the more chance you will have to mushroom and need to do maintainace.

I don't make miracle claims. Not here, not on my Web Site nor in person. I however do not feel my Tips mushroom under the same circumstances any more than any other layered tip on the market.

keepanionme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've installed the PRO tips on both my son and I's cues. We've been using them for about 2 months.

I really like the hit on them. They install very easily. I've noticed some issues with them though.

Chalk. When I bought my table, it came with a bunch of silver cup chalk. Silver cup chalk just doesn't want to stick to this tip for me. I've scuffed the tip, used the tip pik on it, and have sanded it. I just couldn't get it to stick. Once I started using Masters chalk, that problem went away.

Mushrooming. After installing the tip, I've had to address mushrooming twice. Both of which we able to get flush again by simply wetting it, and taking a piece of leather to it. I'm used to my tip having a shine to it, and no matter how hard I try, it just doesn't seem possible with this tip. To get around that, a nice layer of sharpie does the trick.

Overall, I really like the PRO tips because of their performance and pricing. Sometime soon, I'd like to try out the hard tip. I had a white diamond tip installed on my break cue, and it's popped off.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was wondering how the forum liked or didn't like them. Input appreciated. Thanks

I have been installing ultraskins a lot lately and I have installed several of the pros. Most of them love the tip however feel thay have to "condition" the tip more often than other tips. They say it stops holding chalk faster than other tips. No one has complained about mushrooming that i can think of. Hope this helps.

gkloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Tom, I'm trying out the pro tip and I'm having to burnish the sidewalls a lot due to mushrooming. Tip plays well but a lot of maintenance is required. The VS require less maintenance IMO. I've also had some miscues with the pro and some glazing on the tip and I'm using blue diamond chalk. I had to use the ultimate tip tool every time before I shoot just to shape the side walls. I may go back to the VS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quite a mixture but mostly negative. I guess I will take them off the market. Any of you who want to send them back for money or trade LMK. Thanks

keepanionme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite a mixture but mostly negative. I guess I will take them off the market. Any of you who want to send them back for money or trade LMK. Thanks

Tom,

For me, the negative of having to fix a mushroom every month is worth it. Perhaps if I were to cut the excess off instead of taking leather to it, I may not have the problem any longer. I think it's a great tip. I don't foresee myself using anything other than an UltraSkin, to be honest. I would leave them right where they are.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Tom. I have missed the scoop on the Pro. I'm (honestly) curious what it offers that 5 different hardnesses of the regular tips doesn't?

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Tom I like it , that's whats on my cue . I sold 3 to a friend and he cam back and bought 10 more . Nobody up in the NW that I have put them on they bought and put there own on as and a complaint . Thanks Keepem for sale . Jim

Lbkcuekid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tom leave the pros alone I like them much i have had to cut it around the side due to mushrooming but it is a great tip

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
It does mushroom quicker than other tips from what I've noticed. Glaze issue, I've had once though. Imo, these hit great and the plus point is that they're very wallet friendly.

To those that have mushroom tips, do correct me if I'm wrong, you're suppose to trim away the mushroom instead of burnishing it back up again.

SWANIE

Registered
Tip

Tom I would not stop offering them I have install several for customers and one for myself, I have not noticed any more mushrooming than other tips I have installed. Burnishing will not stop the small amount of mushrooming on any tip, you have to trim or sand it off then problem is solved.

Krisha

Registered
My number One tip here also !!

i do have a litle more work on them then on my previous tips, but i don't mind !
I did start out with a new cue not so long ago, awesome cue but the tip just didn't feel right, i bought 8 pro tips and 2 heavy hitters, installed about 6 pro tips and had no complaints about it, these are guys that know how to adjust a tip and i did say to them before installing that it was possible they would mushroom a little, none of them made a point of this ...

for my self, i'm really on a roll with this tip, in the last 8 weeks i was able to get the maximum score in my little league and won a tournament last sunday with it. i guess it has also to do with the confidence i have in this tip ...
Could not ask for more in a tip then this, feedback is great, no problems with chalk here. Pls do keep it ...

Tom, if you realy do decide for taking them off the market, pls let me know so i can get a bunch of them for myself ...
Kind regards
Kris

captainkoons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought some mixed tips a couple months ago and have used the pro, vs, and medium probably priority to that order.

I'd say for the amount of time used I groom the pro the most, I usually just use a shaper while playing to reduce the mushrooming but it's my favorite tip so far, I have to try this tip on other shafts but so far it's unreal.

I'd say for the cost, maybe put up a disclaimer and keep it on the market. I know I'll be buying more if they're available in the near future.

Krisha

Registered
Just ordered 3 new shafts this morning, again all three with the pro tip...

what i did notice is they do intend to mushroom but i had another person telling me that they don't intend to mushroom when he heated the tip before placing it ... ?

asamimasa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one recently installed because I couldn't stand the feel of my Moori soft. Feels closest in comparison to Kamui black SS among tips I've tried. I do come to the same findings as others though- this is the first tip I've had where mushrooming has been noticeable (I've only used Kamuis, ki-techs, and ultra skins for reference). Doesn't seem to hold chalk quite as long. I usually go 4-6 shots with english using predator chalk, but that number's dropped down to about 2-3 shots unless I scuff/tip pick.

That being said, I do love the hit of it, I just consider it high(er) maintenance- high reward. So if you're going to take them off of the market, do please announce so and have a destocking sale so those of us who like it can get our hands on them while we can!

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope everyone understands that not in here nor on my web site do I make any claims on not mushrooming etc etc etc. I also don't sell special $30.00 a cube chalk or $40.00 tip scuffer.

I also chalk after every shot, always have, always will. :smile: