Finally started....

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lathe.jpgFinally started my next quest. Just built out the router arm this past weekend and got to test it on some scrap poplar laying around. I am still pulling together some tooling which brings me to my question. When it comes to coring what is the minimum I can do? I purchased a 14.2mm x 430mm gun drill which is .006 larger than 9/16. Would this be sufficient for forearm/handle/butt coring?

Looking forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
" I don't know about coring....
I recommend though-
get a more-secure setup for your router to the plate-
"Maybe even LARGE AUTOMOTIVE EXHAUST PIPE BRACKETS THAT CAN ACTUALLY BOLT UP YOUR ROUTER NICE AND TIGHT TO THAT BRACKET- WILL CERTAINLY BE SAFER FOR YOU

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually core my forearm at .625 and I know some core at .750. My handle is cored at .750 and my butt sleeve is a little larger at like .900

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
For forearms, .650" minimum imo.
If you thread the collar, .675", at least .
3/4 for soft woods .
For handles, at least .760.
That way you have room to trim for the 3/4 butt sleeve.
7/8 is even better if you use burl handles.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I usually core my forearm at .625 and I know some core at .750. My handle is cored at .750 and my butt sleeve is a little larger at like .900

.625 drill ?
Or .630?
.625 drill would get your dowel to .620.
If you use stock rings and tubes with 5/8 ID, they will be loose.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
get a more-secure setup for your router to the plate-...

I agree :eek: That set up looks like a bad messy painful crash waiting to happen. There seems to be nothing other than a bit of torque on the toolpost to prevent that from swiveling into the work ... in a bad messy painful crash :eek: And the router will be able to slide a bit side-to-side within those pipe clamps.

Strong motors, sharp cutting tools and insecure setups can be very dangerous.

Dave

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
the router mount looks a little wobbly ......... I core everything at 3/4,,,,,,,,,,,,,
what size is the hole through the head stock?

Kim

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" I don't know about coring....
I recommend though-
get a more-secure setup for your router to the plate-
"Maybe even LARGE AUTOMOTIVE EXHAUST PIPE BRACKETS THAT CAN ACTUALLY BOLT UP YOUR ROUTER NICE AND TIGHT TO THAT BRACKET- WILL CERTAINLY BE SAFER FOR YOU

So the u bolts should not be a problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree :eek: That set up looks like a bad messy painful crash waiting to happen. There seems to be nothing other than a bit of torque on the toolpost to prevent that from swiveling into the work ... in a bad messy painful crash :eek: And the router will be able to slide a bit side-to-side within those pipe clamps.

Strong motors, sharp cutting tools and insecure setups can be very dangerous.

Dave

With the tool post screwed down I pulled and pushed on the router and it did not move. What might you suggest it make it more secure?

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What downside is there in missing that .0625 of wood? I could bore up if needed but just wanted to know if I absolutely needed to.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really see your set up as a hazard so much as later on it might bite you trying to fight vibration, and things that bounce or shift when making a last cut, etc. Not as rigid as it could be to get the same result.

Cut about 1/2 the horizontal leg off and get the angle back over the compound. No downside to running the compound (with the cross slide) closer to the work, everything gets more rigid.

You could probably cut the top leg down a bit too, depends if a riser is more rigid, or the router way up top on the angle.

Is the riser a rusty steel drop? Or a piece of wood? (I honestly can't tell)

If you have the face plate that should have come with the lathe, the angle can be mounted to it by the horizontal leg, with the vertical leg sticking out horizontal, centered. Outside face of vertical leg in/toward spindle center. It should be about 1/4 or 3/8" less than the router case radius from the center of rotation. With a heavy boring bar, you can now turn a radius on the face of the angle that matches the router. Does not even have to be all that deep. But when things settle and shift, the router will still maintain it's alignment against the angle; guided by that cove cut.

It is even possible to make the cove cut diagonally on a tablesaw, but if you didn't already know that, i certainly didn't mention it. ;) (Keep all your fingers, kind of convenient for cue making and many other activities.)

There's a lot of uses for a lathe compound, few of which include the compound being parallel with the cross slide. (waste of an axis).

For fussy work, parallel to the lathe axis at least gives a measuring system with the carriage locked.

Most machinists (when not threading) leave it at 30 deg. to the lathe centerline for this reason: dialing in .001 on the collar results in a tool infeed of 1/2 that. It doubles your resolution, which is convenient when working to .001 or less. Also, if the cross slide dials are not direct reading, the compound set at 30 deg becomes direct reading. If your cross slide dial is direct reading, you may or may not appreciate the added resolution.

(Non-direct reading - dial in .001, slide moves .001", means .002 off the diameter. Direct reading means dial in .001, and slide actually only moves .0005, taking 001" off the dia.)

smt

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really see your set up as a hazard so much as later on it might bite you trying to fight vibration, and things that bounce or shift when making a last cut, etc. Not as rigid as it could be to get the same result.

Cut about 1/2 the horizontal leg off and get the angle back over the compound. No downside to running the compound (with the cross slide) closer to the work, everything gets more rigid.

You could probably cut the top leg down a bit too, depends if a riser is more rigid, or the router way up top on the angle.

Is the riser a rusty steel drop? Or a piece of wood? (I honestly can't tell)

If you have the face plate that should have come with the lathe, the angle can be mounted to it by the horizontal leg, with the vertical leg sticking out horizontal, centered. Outside face of vertical leg in/toward spindle center. It should be about 1/4 or 3/8" less than the router case radius from the center of rotation. With a heavy boring bar, you can now turn a radius on the face of the angle that matches the router. Does not even have to be all that deep. But when things settle and shift, the router will still maintain it's alignment against the angle; guided by that cove cut.

It is even possible to make the cove cut diagonally on a tablesaw, but if you didn't already know that, i certainly didn't mention it. ;) (Keep all your fingers, kind of convenient for cue making and many other activities.)

There's a lot of uses for a lathe compound, few of which include the compound being parallel with the cross slide. (waste of an axis).

For fussy work, parallel to the lathe axis at least gives a measuring system with the carriage locked.

Most machinists (when not threading) leave it at 30 deg. to the lathe centerline for this reason: dialing in .001 on the collar results in a tool infeed of 1/2 that. It doubles your resolution, which is convenient when working to .001 or less. Also, if the cross slide dials are not direct reading, the compound set at 30 deg becomes direct reading. If your cross slide dial is direct reading, you may or may not appreciate the added resolution.

(Non-direct reading - dial in .001, slide moves .001", means .002 off the diameter. Direct reading means dial in .001, and slide actually only moves .0005, taking 001" off the dia.)

smt

Thanks for the detailed info!

Yes my riser is a block of cocobolo wood.

I will redrill the the hole in the bracket to get it closer to the angle. Planning on picking up some u bolts today to help hold the router better on the bracket. I still have to have the router as high as it is because of its size and where the router bit lines up with the work.

I will set my slide at 30 degrees. I had it set to 30 but when I moved the lathe I zeroed it and did not reset it.

I could use the tool post to mount the bracket to which would eliminate most of my potential issues. I wanted to have a quick change method but I could remove most of the cutting tools and tool set screws from the tool post. Then I could use the set screw holes for mounting the bracket to eliminate radial movement. I will do that this weekend.

Thanks for all your info. I will post the new mount when I get it fixed.

DaveK

Silver Member
With the tool post screwed down I pulled and pushed on the router and it did not move. What might you suggest it make it more secure?

Anything to prevent the block and mount from twisting (rotating about the tool post bolt).
I agree that the U bolts would be better than hose clamps (and I am a BIG fan of hose clamps, just not for this application). But they are your fingers and hands, but that set up looks quite dangerous to me as-is.

Disclaimer, I am not a cuemaker but have several lathes, a mill, a shaper, and a bunch of routers/saws/drills .... and have bled from the odd "oops" :frown:

Dave

DaveK

Silver Member
I don't really see your set up as a hazard so much as later on it might bite you trying to fight vibration, and things that bounce or shift when making a last cut, etc. ...

My concern is that the way it is pictured there is a chance the router could dig in and push back (twist clockwise) into the work causing it to dig in more and KABOOM, a big time crash. It looks like positive feedback waiting to happen. Feed too fast could cause a crash for example.

Perhaps setting the mount angle to trail at 20 or 30 degrees (set the mount the other to the other side, the rear rather than forward, by moving it clockwise by 40 or 60 degrees) would be better. That way if the router dug in it would push AWAY from the work (safe negative feedback) rather than INTO the work (nasty positive feedback).

Just my thoughts from afar.

Dave

Last edited:

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave-

That is a very good point that i overlooked.

My concern was getting all the overhangs shortened up. Change one arm of a path, and its effect is often double. for you or against you. (cutting, say 2" off his current angle mount & moving the bolt 2" closer, means the cross slide has to be 2" closer as well, givine (almost" 4" benefit in lever arm reduction.

Also thought if it were me, I'd cove (bore) the face to the exact router dia/rad. It is possible that it won't fit on his faceplate with the leg extended, so i mentioned cutting it off.

Per your note, maybe leave it long but move it closer, and use 2 holes into a siamese/shop made T-nut in the compound, then swivel the compound as necessary/if necessary.

Your reference of which way things need to trail so a force causes them to move out of a cut, instead of instantly plunge in, is worth a good look by the OP for any mounted tool situation.

Is your shaper a metal shaper or wood shaper?

smt, big fan of reciprocal machination. :thumbup: