apa / bca

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which is the larger group? Which has the best venue in Vegas and draws the most people?

almer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which is the larger group? Which has the best venue in Vegas and draws the most people?
Ive never been to APA but ive been to many BCA and VNEA,i think this years BCA was about as good as it gets for pool,pros everywhere ,money matches,and everything a pool player could want

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
APA has more members. They also get more people to come to Vegas, around 7000. Due to the way the APA is setup a lot of the players who come to the tournament each year are first timers. As a group the APA members spend less money on their equipment than do BCA members. Individually though some APA members who can't run two balls don't hesitate to drop a grand on a cue.

BCA has better players but only about a 20-25% of the APA's membership. The majority of people who come out to their annual tournament have been many times before. BCA players tend to own higher end equipment and spend more money. Around 5-6000 people attend the BCA's annual tournament.

Until recently the venue was the same for both. It was the Riviera Hotel. I don't really know what the plan is now.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
John,

Its a good thing that both events are no longer hosted at the Riviera. Apparently a fake ATM machine was planted at that hotel, and it was recently noticed when they hosted a hackers convention.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136179/Fake_ATM_doesn_t_last_long_at_hacker_meet

APA has more members. They also get more people to come to Vegas, around 7000. Due to the way the APA is setup a lot of the players who come to the tournament each year are first timers. As a group the APA members spend less money on their equipment than do BCA members. Individually though some APA members who can't run two balls don't hesitate to drop a grand on a cue.

BCA has better players but only about a 20-25% of the APA's membership. The majority of people who come out to their annual tournament have been many times before. BCA players tend to own higher end equipment and spend more money. Around 5-6000 people attend the BCA's annual tournament.

Until recently the venue was the same for both. It was the Riviera Hotel. I don't really know what the plan is now.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Dawgie,

APA is the largest organized "pool" league on the planet. Each year they draw thousands to Vegas for their Nationals. Although they draw slightly more than the BCAPL in May, APA divides the singles and team events into two separate events. BCAPL runs both together. My guess is APA draws nearly twice the total players to Vegas. Only down side is, since Mark Griffin purchased the pool leagues from BCA, the APA event is held on Valley tables. Us BCAPL'ers play on Diamonds. Big, big difference!

Lyn

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having been out to both, I felt that the BCA tournament had the most players in attendance. This may be due to APA holding their single events at the End of April and their team event in May whereas BCA holds both at the same time . Both are fun events. I personally prefer BCA due to the level of play and the fact that the pro's are playing at the same time so you can go sweat a match.
I had a bartender in the tournament room tell me one time that his rankings on the tournaments were APA first, VNEA second and BCA last this was based totally on the amount of beer drinks he sold.

The APA web site lists the APA tournament as being held at the Riviera this year. Is there something in the works to move one of the tournaments to another location?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IbeAnEngineer...The APA team championships are in August, not May. May is BCA first, VNEA second. The ACS National tournament is right afterwards, in June. All have been hosted by the Riviera, for many years (30+, for some tournaments). It will be difficult to replace. Poor service, or not...the Riv is, was, and will always be, POOL CENTRAL in Vegas, Baby! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Having been out to both, I felt that the BCA tournament had the most players in attendance. This may be due to APA holding their single events at the End of April and their team event in May whereas BCA holds both at the same time .

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott,
You are correct, I had mistakenly typed May in that spot where I should have put down August.

My last sentence was a question to something JB Cases had posted "Until recently the venue was the same for both. It was the Riviera Hotel. I don't really know what the plan is now" and I was wondering if something was changing with the venues.