CTE. Why I think it works...

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been thinking about this for the last couple of years. I am primarily a CTE player and use it for the most part. I am also a Tim Gallway and The inner game of tennis fan. When you use CTE you are approximating your shot and the million times you have shot the shot your inner self takes over and makes it.

I did a couple of tests to back my theory...

First I taught my son CTE. We worked and worked on it... He rarely plays and couldn't make a ball using CTE. Taught him fractional aiming and bang he started making shots.

Second test I took my glasses off and was still able to sink shots with only seeing fuzzy spheres. (I of course would not play this way as my accuracy was not very good) but I could still make some shots.

One important lesson in the inner game tennis is getting your conscious self to step out of the way and letting inner self take over. Aiming by ghost ball or fractional aiming is conscious self driving the show. Getting an estimated line and placing your cue somewhere along that line confuses the hell out of conscious self and allows inner self do what it is supposed to... Sink balls. Inner self is the person that takes over when you go into zone.

If you are just delving in CTE stick with it and practice the shots you miss until it is in the inner selfs computer. It takes time... God I am realizing it again... But it works for many pros and very good amateurs.

I hope I made sense with this. I know I am setting myself up for getting blasted by saying that CTE aiming is not aiming at all. But it would definitely explain why pros say they don't aim... If what I think is true then they aren't lying.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
0ed.gif

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I really am not looking to start anything. Just presenting a different perspective that I had not seen anyone make before. Just like V aiming from a couple of years ago (which I also use and kinda based on the same inner self aiming) something I figured out and wanted to share.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After spending numerous hours on it and even taken lessons on it, I believe the only thing CTE actually does for you is put your body in a pretty good position to approach the shot from the correct line thus it puts you in a "pretty good aim" line with your body in a decent position preshot. You will still need to adjust as you actually approach the ball and get your final aim before shooting. A few shots will work perfectly just because the alignment and the pivot just happen to be at that sweet spot. I believe the rest of it is 100% you just learning the angle / shot from doing it over and over and over again.

At the point that you can look at the ball and say that it is a 15 left pivot or a 30 right pivot, you pretty much have learned the angles and the pivot and is just a formality that is done because you are so use to doing it.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After spending numerous hours on it and even taken lessons on it, I believe the only thing CTE actually does for you is put your body in a pretty good position to approach the shot from the correct line thus it puts you in a "pretty good aim" line with your body in a decent position preshot. You will still need to adjust as you actually approach the ball and get your final aim before shooting. A few shots will work perfectly just because the alignment and the pivot just happen to be at that sweet spot. I believe the rest of it is 100% you just learning the angle / shot from doing it over and over and over again.

At the point that you can look at the ball and say that it is a 15 left pivot or a 30 right pivot, you pretty much have learned the angles and the pivot and is just a formality that is done because you are so use to doing it.

Wrong! Lol

Stan Shuffett

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Wrong! Lol

Stan Shuffett

Stan,

This is an honest question. I've really only tried very basic shots aiming with CTE. I play on tight 4"pockets. In your aiming system, do you visualize the entire shot, including the OB path to the pocket? I find the only way I can accurately aim is to visualize the entire shot. Using CTE I find my aim ends at the OB and it's not really good enough for tight pockets

Chris

l82fish

Registered
I met Hal Houle when I was 15 years old (I'm 34 now) and had multiple in-person lessons from him.The CTE method he taught me is somewhat different from what some others are teaching but it all works out the same way in the end.

What you say regarding the "Inner Game of Tennis" is very interesting as Hal was a former tennis teacher and was a fan of that book. I think your comments have some merit based on conversations I had with him and my own observations.

-Ryan

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan,

This is an honest question. I've really only tried very basic shots aiming with CTE. I play on tight 4"pockets. In your aiming system, do you visualize the entire shot, including the OB path to the pocket? I find the only way I can accurately aim is to visualize the entire shot. Using CTE I find my aim ends at the OB and it's not really good enough for tight pockets

Chris

I used to see the entire shot as much as possible; CB OB and pocket. Your aiming strategy is to aim down your cue shaft as much as possible and the visualizing that indicated to necessary is a characteristic for conventional aiming.

In real CTE, your cue is slightly across your chosen vision center, thus in full stance, post pivot position, the CB is the target.....that is all that your dominance can effectively see.
That's great, though, because sighting is many times easier than aiming.

Once I learned to sight, my aiming woes greatly diminished. If you learn how to sight with CB to the OB there is no need to visualize CB to OB to pocket.

Stan Shuffett

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Hal Houle when I was 15 years old (I'm 34 now) and had multiple in-person lessons from him.The CTE method he taught me is somewhat different from what some others are teaching but it all works out the same way in the end.

What you say regarding the "Inner Game of Tennis" is very interesting as Hal was a former tennis teacher and was a fan of that book. I think your comments have some merit based on conversations I had with him and my own observations.

-Ryan

CTE represents what one's visual intelligence really wants to do. CTE is very natural.

It matters greatly how CTE is done!

Stan Shuffett

l82fish

Registered
I don't necessarily disagree. You and others teach a particular "method" of CTE which achieves the same net result as those who don't use that particular method. In whatever aiming philosophy you adhere to, the method is important because it spawns some level of consistency. Your method is certainly a valid one as it gives you an excellent repeatable routine. Ultimately, it's the "concept" which Hal professed which is the most important. Concept's are generally not difficult for most people to understand, it is the application of those concepts which proves a challenge to most. You and other teachers of CTE have been able to effectively teach application in a different way which I commend you on.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't necessarily disagree. You and others teach a particular "method" of CTE which achieves the same net result as those who don't use that particular method. In whatever aiming philosophy you adhere to, the method is important because it spawns some level of consistency. Your method is certainly a valid one as it gives you an excellent repeatable routine. Ultimately, it's the "concept" which Hal professed which is the most important. Concept's are generally not difficult for most people to understand, it is the application of those concepts which proves a challenge to most. You and other teachers of CTE have been able to effectively teach application in a different way which I commend you on.

Hal positively confirmed my work with Dave Segal.....what I am teaching is not a version of CTE.

Stan Shuffett

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I used to see the entire shot as much as possible; CB OB and pocket. Your aiming strategy is to aim down your cue shaft as much as possible and the visualizing that indicated to necessary is a characteristic for conventional aiming.

In real CTE, your cue is slightly across your chosen vision center, thus in full stance, post pivot position, the CB is the target.....that is all that your dominance can effectively see.
That's great, though, because sighting is many times easier than aiming.

Once I learned to sight, my aiming woes greatly diminished. If you learn how to sight with CB to the OB there is no need to visualize CB to OB to pocket.

Stan Shuffett

I would submit that your previous focusing on CB OB and pocket trained your mind to the point where now you subconsciously see all those items while your conscious mind can be just focusing on the CB to OB job.

I've recently gotten to this point, too, and that's my thoughts on how I got here and why it now works, where before it didn't so much.

Jeff Livingston

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Interesting thread.

It seems that rather many understand it the way PJ, I, & others have been saying that it is.

That's encouraging.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would submit that your previous focusing on CB OB and pocket trained your mind to the point where now you subconsciously see all those items while your conscious mind can be just focusing on the CB to OB job.

I've recently gotten to this point, too, and that's my thoughts on how I got here and why it now works, where before it didn't so much.

Jeff Livingston

If you are ever in the Kentucky area, I can easily show you where your thinking is totally incorrect as related to CTE.

Stan Shuffett