Double hit question I haven't found in WPA rules

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the situation:

The CB is frozen to the 1B. In the same line, the 2B is a short distance from the 1B. How should a possible double hit be judged when a player shoots directly toward both the 1B and the 2B?

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
141973E9-7F42-4C41-8D2C-A51FE86A3E6C.jpg

This is taken from the applied ruling section of Playbca/CSI pool league rules. Although WPA rules do not specifically address the situation, a referee judging the legality of the shot or the players involved would use the same criteria to evaluate if a double hit foul occurred with a nearby ball. In your example, cue ball frozen to 1 ball, the shooter can legally shoot straight through 1ball, but a double hit foul could occur if tip continues forward as the 1ball strikes the 2ball.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 540803

This is taken from the applied ruling section of Playbca/CSI pool league rules. Although WPA rules do not specifically address the situation, a referee judging the legality of the shot or the players involved would use the same criteria to evaluate if a double hit foul occurred with a nearby ball. In your example, cue ball frozen to 1 ball, the shooter can legally shoot straight through 1ball, but a double hit foul could occur if tip continues forward as the 1ball strikes the 2ball.

Many try to beat this rule, but in the end (regardless of the myriad scope of various/official organizational assumptions of propriety), it is up to the honor of the competitor to realize the probability of a ‘double hit’. Most thus would not risk it, since traditionally, it has ALWAYS been ‘verboten’. When a sanctioning group tries to legalize it out of convenience (jack-up 45 degrees?) you have to wonder what’s next? Maybe when ‘barbox bangers’ knock a ball off the table in future, they could just spot it and continue shooting? THAT should likely make bar league tournaments progress more smoothly.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
...you have to wonder what’s next? Maybe when ‘barbox bangers’ knock a ball off the table in future, they could just spot it and continue shooting? THAT should likely make bar league tournaments progress more smoothly.

Continue shooting, but... you have to call it that the ball will fly off the table and how many times it will bounce on the playing surface or rail, if any, before going off fully. They don’t play that slop shite.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Continue shooting, but... you have to call it that the ball will fly off the table and how many times it will bounce on the playing surface or rail, if any, before going off fully. They don’t play that slop shite.

Don’t laugh, but I think that might actually have been the local rule when I was a kid (fished a few balls out of spittoons growing up).

Last edited:

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let Newton solve your problem

You won't normally find specific situations like your OP in rule sets because the variables of ball position and the action of the cue stick as wielded by the player are virtually infinite and definitely unpredictable. To write a rule covering every possible position is impossible, and to write a thousand rules covering the most common possible results in impractical.

The closest a rule set can come to assisting in the understanding of the situation is to slightly clarify and explain double hit dangers of nearby OB's (and cushions), an example of which is the material I wrote for CSI as quoted above from CSI AR 1-20/1-30 General Discussion. What is NOT unpredictable is the actions of the balls given certain collisions occurring. It is up to officials themselves and the organizations that employ them to ensure they are properly trained in the techniques to analyze the action of the balls in order to determine whether a double hit occurred. Unfortunately that training is frequently severely questionable.

Regarding your specific quoted situation, in which the nearby additional OB is on (or very near) the line of centers through the CB and frozen OB, the call is ridiculously easy for any properly trained official. Just let Newton's third law do the work for you.

By CSI and WSR rule, it is legal to shoot toward the frozen OB. If that shot is executed on or nearly along the line of centers, there will be two balls worth of energy entering the collision with the nearby non-frozen OB. Therefore, according to the laws of physics, two - and ONLY two - balls worth of energy may leave that collision unless acted upon by some other force. Just like Newton's Cradle...two balls in, two balls out.

So in a legal hit the CB and the frozen OB are the two balls in, and the frozen OB and the nearby non-frozen OB are the two balls out. The frozen OB and the non-frozen OB will will proceed along the line of the shot at nearly the same speed, while the CB must either stop (if skidding), or stop briefly and then continue ahead or back at a (probably) much slower speed than the OB's if there is significant spin applied to the vertical center of the CB during the stroke.

If the CB moves down the table along with the OB's at nearly the same speed, or if the CB, with reverse spin, skids forward of the position of the frozen OB where it contacts the nearby non-frozen OB, then it is virtually certain there has been a double hit. There could conceivably be some extraneous wacky factors such as extra heavy CB's (mud balls) that might vary results slightly, but in almost any reputable competition with decent equipment the analysis is reliable to the point of certainty for a properly trained official that is paying attention.

That analysis is a safe bet if the setup is close to the line of centers. If the nearby OB is off the line of centers of the CB/frozen OB, it's a little tougher to make the analysis, but not all that bad. You just have to apply the right angle rule to the collision between the CB and non-frozen OB (if any), and ignore the frozen OB. If the non-frozen ball is off the line of centers and there is no collision between the CB and non-frozen ball, a good hit at almost any speed is a virtual certainty.

Buddy

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bad rules made by uninformed people always make me cry. I won't even get into it. :mad:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many try to beat this rule, but in the end (regardless of the myriad scope of various/official organizational assumptions of propriety), it is up to the honor of the competitor to realize the probability of a ‘double hit’. Most thus would not risk it, since traditionally, it has ALWAYS been ‘verboten’. When a sanctioning group tries to legalize it out of convenience (jack-up 45 degrees?) you have to wonder what’s next? Maybe when ‘barbox bangers’ knock a ball off the table in future, they could just spot it and continue shooting? THAT should likely make bar league tournaments progress more smoothly.
Any pool player that is respecting as well as knowledgeable of the rules and courteous enough to not put the tournament director on the spot in judging such a tough shot, would elect to play a shot that will not be hard to judge for the tournament director.

As a TD myself, if a player chooses to put me in that position by electing to shoot a shot like that and my having to judge such a shot for its legality, if I have any question at all after the shot is played as to whether it was a legal hit, I’m likely to rule it a foul if for no other reason than that the shooter should not have placed me in that position. Most TD’s would never admit that but I can assure you that’s the way they’d feel.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the situation:

The CB is frozen to the 1B. In the same line, the 2B is a short distance from the 1B. How should a possible double hit be judged when a player shoots directly toward both the 1B and the 2B?
For those who don't understand the problem, here is a diagram of the situation. Try playing the top shot with draw. The cue ball should draw back after it hits the 1 ball the second time after the 1 is stopped by the 2 ball.

As you try the other shots with the 2 ball closer and closer to the 1 ball, eventually the cue ball will not draw back properly because the cue stick hits it a second time.

CropperCapture[456].png

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
For those who don't understand the problem, here is a diagram of the situation. Try playing the top shot with draw. The cue ball should draw back after it hits the 1 ball the second time after the 1 is stopped by the 2 ball.

As you try the other shots with the 2 ball closer and closer to the 1 ball, eventually the cue ball will not draw back properly because the cue stick hits it a second time.

View attachment 540852

I would use draw on the upper two shots, but I would shoot away from the bottom scenario.

The next-to-the-bottom shot would have me thinking for a while. Maybe some draw with a jacked-up cue???

Maniac

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would use draw on the upper two shots, but I would shoot away from the bottom scenario.

The next-to-the-bottom shot would have me thinking for a while. Maybe some draw with a jacked-up cue???

Maniac
I have a short enough stroke when I need it that I can play all three shots straight at the 1 ball and not foul. It is a good skill to have. That kind of stroke is standard for good players at the ball-to-ball carom games. The short stroke can be very, very useful when playing safeties at one pocket and straight pool.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has always been difficult for me to determine how any of those shots can not be a "Push."

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has always been difficult for me to determine how any of those shots can not be a "Push."
It depends on how you define "push". If the cue ball is frozen to the object ball, and you shoot straight towards the object ball, there is only one tip to ball contact. So, it is not a "push" if you require multiple contacts to be such.

The current rule at pool is, briefly and simplified:

If the cue ball is frozen to a ball, you can shoot towards that ball. If the cue ball is close to a ball, you have to avoid hitting the cue ball twice.

If you feel the rules should be different, what would you suggest? Something like snooker?

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry don't know the snooker rule.

To me if you are frozen to the cue ball you must hit away from the ball to avoid a "Push" I don't see how it can be otherwise--especially consistently as you must know everyones stroke length. It's frozen so you must be pushing.

The guys I play with agree it is the only way to avoid arguments. You get a bad roll hit it at an angle. You play bad shape hit it at an angle. Makes our life simpler and friendlier.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always thought if you hit the cueball in the same direction as the object ball and they are touching if you don’t either hit the ball at a down 45 degree angle or a or to the left or right at a 45 degree angle to stop the push. And the way you judge the shoot is if the cueball follows the same path as the object ball it is a push.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the posters here are not differentiating berween a push and a double hit. Why is this such a common problem? A push has nothing to do with the situation presented.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try playing the top shot with draw. The cue ball should draw back after it hits the 1 ball the second time after the 1 is stopped by the 2 ball.

That makes perfect sense Bob, but how do you judge the shot when draw is not used?

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Some of the posters here are not differentiating berween a push and a double hit. Why is this such a common problem? A push has nothing to do with the situation presented.
I was wondering the same thing. It drives me nuts . Also, I don't know where the 45 degrees stuff comes from. I know it's a local rule of convenience in certain leagues and tournaments, but just because you jack up or shoot partially away doesn't prevent you from committing a double hit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always thought if you hit the cueball in the same direction as the object ball and they are touching if you don’t either hit the ball at a down 45 degree angle or a or to the left or right at a 45 degree angle to stop the push.
That's the rule in some leagues. It ignores what is actually happening. The 45 degrees -- which few people actually get to -- changes very little in the shot. The rule is based on ignorance. I think that's a bad way to make rules.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That makes perfect sense Bob, but how do you judge the shot when draw is not used?
You judge it like with many other close call situations, you look at what the cue ball does and then based on your understanding of how the balls work, you decide whether there was a foul or not.

Judging such shots is not easy.

In the particular case of the shots in my diagram, I would look for immediate speed forward on the cue ball, almost keeping up with the 1 ball, similar to what you would look for with close-ball double hits.