Ed Wheat

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a thread some time ago you mentioned that you were making more and more cues in the 60" range b/c you have found that 58" standard cue is too short for many people.

Could you elaborate on that comment and what do you base our findings on?

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Length

Its my understanding that a cues length should go by a person's wingspan and height. Personally i feel that whatever feels best to you. I have played with both although i personally feel the 58 is better considering i am only about five foot ten but i have also used a friends bob frey cue on occasion and it was 60 and i also loved the feel of that. I really think that a person who is like 5'2 wouldnt feel comfortable but anyone over like 5 foot 8 i think would be ok.

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
I know two A players locally who gave strong reviews to playing with 59" or 60" cues. Both of whom aren't any taller than me at 5'10". I have only ever played with 58" cues.

-J

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dawgie said:
In a thread some time ago you mentioned that you were making more and more cues in the 60" range b/c you have found that 58" standard cue is too short for many people.

Could you elaborate on that comment and what do you base our findings on?

Your buddy Manwon produced a couple of cues that were 60"- ask him why he chose that.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris Bartrum plays with a 60" cue and he isnt real tall probably 5'8". I'm 6'1" and just went back to 59" cue, I have played with 58"-60" cues for years, I wouldnt want to play with a 57" cue-i'm just to tall. there is no right and wrong-its just what ever works best for the player.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Dawgie, contact Paul Allers (Master of None) here on AZ. He exclusively makes 60" cues, and has for years. They are wildly popular with the locals in my area, and everyone who owns one, shoots pretty darn sporty with them. He's got these down to a science, and will likely be quite happy to explain his reasoning for exclusively making this length cue.

Lisa

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
balance point

Except for when someone is moving back on a stick to gain extra reach on a big table it doesn't really matter if a stick is 58" or 60" long, what matters is the balance point. I don't like wraps because I don't like the feel of two different materials under my hand. Without a wrap, I move back and forth on my sixty inch cue as needed. It is balanced a bit forward so that last two inches is really just a permanent extension on the cue.

I once preferred a lot of space between my bridge and my grip hand. However I notice that many very good players typically hit the cue ball "late" with their grip hand actually in front of 90 degrees to the cue. Seems likely there is a reason for this, I'm still trying to figure it out though!

Hu

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrapless 60" With A 19" To 19.5" Balance Point Seems Perfect For Me. I Don't Need A 60" To Play, But I'm 6'7 And Tend To Pull The Cue Out From Between My Fingers On Shots That Require A Big Stroke; Namely The Break Shot. For Years I Struggled With Breaking Because I Would Take The Cue Back So Far It Would Come Out Of My Fingers Then Stab My Self In The Hand On The Follow Through. The 60 Gives Me Plenty Of Room To Hold Back On The Butt So This Don't Happen Any More. Also The 2 Inches Of Extra Reach Isn't Too Bad Either...js

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Except for when someone is moving back on a stick to gain extra reach on a big table it doesn't really matter if a stick is 58" or 60" long, what matters is the balance point. I don't like wraps because I don't like the feel of two different materials under my hand. Without a wrap, I move back and forth on my sixty inch cue as needed. It is balanced a bit forward so that last two inches is really just a permanent extension on the cue.

I once preferred a lot of space between my bridge and my grip hand. However I notice that many very good players typically hit the cue ball "late" with their grip hand actually in front of 90 degrees to the cue. Seems likely there is a reason for this, I'm still trying to figure it out though!

Hu

now this it doesn't matter if the cue is 60 inches stuff is BS man. imagine if you take a meucci which measures like .830 at the joint and chopped an inch off of each side put another tip on it and played with it. it would stiffen up the hit a lot. now if you take another cue that's .850 and lenthen it out (keeping the joint size the same) and the cue will flex a lot more.

it's like shaking a ruler and shaking a yard stick. the amount of flex varies. which in turn will change the way the cue plays

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a lot of imagination

poolplayer2093 said:
now this it doesn't matter if the cue is 60 inches stuff is BS man. imagine if you take a meucci which measures like .830 at the joint and chopped an inch off of each side put another tip on it and played with it. it would stiffen up the hit a lot. now if you take another cue that's .850 and lenthen it out (keeping the joint size the same) and the cue will flex a lot more.

it's like shaking a ruler and shaking a yard stick. the amount of flex varies. which in turn will change the way the cue plays

I have a lot of imagination. I can imagine doing all kinds of stupid things. However I also can make a sixty inch stick that you can't tell from a fifty-eight inch stick by the way it plays. Since you called what I said BS, are you willing to put some real money where your overloaded butt is?

Hu

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
I have a lot of imagination. I can imagine doing all kinds of stupid things. However I also can make a sixty inch stick that you can't tell from a fifty-eight inch stick by the way it plays. Since you called what I said BS, are you willing to put some real money where your overloaded butt is?

Hu

sounds like you took that pretty personal? relax big fella it's just an opinion

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I take it real personal

poolplayer2093 said:
sounds like you took that pretty personal? relax big fella it's just an opinion

I take it real personal when someone calls something I say BS especially when it is about a cue I put together and I play with all the time. You let the keyboard overload your butt and the betting window is open, wide open!

Hu

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:

Hu

besides i didn't say it couldn't be done. and even if we did bet i'd say i could tell just to win the bet. hit being subjective and all there's no right or wrong. but if all things are kept the same and just length were to be changed it would play differently.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I can set up the bet

poolplayer2093 said:
besides i didn't say it couldn't be done.

Actually you did.

poolplayer2093 said:
now this it doesn't matter if the cue is 60 inches stuff is BS man.

poolplayer2093 said:
and even if we did bet i'd say i could tell just to win the bet. hit being subjective and all there's no right or wrong. but if all things are kept the same and just length were to be changed it would play differently.

I can set up a blind test with ten cues and make a total ass out of you since you wouldn't have a clue which were which length. The window remains open.

If I balance them the same from the tip you won't be able to tell which one has an extra two inches behind your grip hand. Cut with exactly the same diameters and tapers I can easily make the sixty inch cue play stiffer than the fifty-eight inch cue also. There really isn't that much difference in the way a cue plays when you add an extra inch to the shaft and butt in the basic design of the cue. My sixty inch cue has a balance point 21 inches from the butt. No accident that this equates to a 58 inch stick with the common 19 inch balance point. The extra two inches in the back means nothing until I need a little extra reach on a nine footer.

Hu

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Actually you did.

I can set up a blind test with ten cues and make a total ass out of you since you wouldn't have a clue which were which length. The window remains open.

If I balance them the same from the tip you won't be able to tell which one has an extra two inches behind your grip hand. Cut with exactly the same diameters and tapers I can easily make the sixty inch cue play stiffer than the fifty-eight inch cue also. There really isn't that much difference in the way a cue plays when you add an extra inch to the shaft and butt in the basic design of the cue. My sixty inch cue has a balance point 21 inches from the butt. No accident that this equates to a 58 inch stick with the common 19 inch balance point. The extra two inches in the back means nothing until I need a little extra reach on a nine footer.

Hu

you take this too serious man, relax

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have never had much luck with 60" cues.i have run across the same stuff as you,2093.they usually feel whippy and not as solid.i went through a phase where i tried 7-8 60" cues a few years ago.i never did find one i really liked.

i also tried some 30" shafts on 29" butts and liked that combo even less.that is wht's great about pool cues,everyone has their own opinions about what plays good and what plays bad.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Actually you did.

Hu

you keep taking everything you read on here so serious you're gonna get your feelings hurt one day. you like your cue that's fine, i expressed my opinion about longer cues and you got all upset.

so here it is to calm you down bro
i was wrong, you were right!