Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Breakshot...What would you do ? and what i did !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Breakshot...What would you do ? and what i did !!
Old
  (#1)
stevekur1
The "COMMISH"
stevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4700

Breakshot...What would you do ? and what i did !! - 11-16-2018, 07:42 AM

Last weekend i was playing a match for a friendly bet with somebody i know, i was currently on 53 and had a real big lead and one of my favorite banks came up, which never comes up in a game. I opted to go for it (And Swish !!!) kept going after this, run ended at 67 when i had no shot after a break. i did win the game though, i won when i hit the 61 mark in this run !

Name:  Capture breakshot (1).jpg
Views: 338
Size:  38.0 KB

BAMM !!! (LOL) Swish !!

Name:  Capture breakshot.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  59.5 KB

PETE TONKIN CUSTOM CUES

Bayshore Billiards 14.1 League ~ Facebook Page ----> https://www.facebook.com/Bayshorebilliardsstraightpool

High Runs:

2018 - In Game - 107
2018 - Practice - 136
2011 - Highest on Video - 50

50 ball evaluation by Blackjack David Sapolis -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiBfKo85z4g

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-16-2018, 09:30 AM

Shots like that make your opponent grit his teeth.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
stevekur1
The "COMMISH"
stevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond reputestevekur1 has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Shots like that make your opponent grit his teeth.
Hahahaha, no doubt !!!

PETE TONKIN CUSTOM CUES

Bayshore Billiards 14.1 League ~ Facebook Page ----> https://www.facebook.com/Bayshorebilliardsstraightpool

High Runs:

2018 - In Game - 107
2018 - Practice - 136

50 ball evaluation by Blackjack David Sapolis -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiBfKo85z4g

Old
  (#4)
michael4
AzB Silver Member
michael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Old
  (#5)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

11-16-2018, 05:08 PM

That's a hell of a break shot.
If I see someone constantly going for break shots like that I want to raise the bet.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#6)
stevekur1
The "COMMISH"

11-16-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
That's a hell of a break shot.
If I see someone constantly going for break shots like that I want to raise the bet.
I obviously overshot my keyball and ended up dead straight.

I used to practice this shot all the time. But it never came up in a game until now, I recognized it right away and had to go for it.

Practice paid off big on this one !! In more ways than one..lol cha-Ching !!

PETE TONKIN CUSTOM CUES

High Runs:

2018 - In Game - 107
2018 - Practice - 136

Old
  (#7)
brainbyte
AzB Bronze Member
brainbyte has a reputation beyond reputebrainbyte has a reputation beyond reputebrainbyte has a reputation beyond reputebrainbyte has a reputation beyond reputebrainbyte has a reputation beyond reputebrainbyte has a reputation beyond reputebrainbyte has a reputation beyond reputebrainbyte has a reputation beyond reputebrainbyte has a reputation beyond reputebrainbyte has a reputation beyond reputebrainbyte has a reputation beyond repute

11-21-2018, 09:32 PM

Shoot the shot for the point and play safety to the top of the rack.
Takes a lot of discipline to win in straight pool.

Old
  (#8)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

11-21-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbyte View Post
Shoot the shot for the point and play safety to the top of the rack. ... .
In the old days none of the top players ever played a safe to the top two balls of the rack from up the table.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#9)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

11-22-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
In the old days none of the top players ever played a safe to the top two balls of the rack from up the table.
? Curious. Could you elaborate? Seems like if the rack was tight (clean balls on fast cloth) and the CB was in the center of the table, a precise hit might send both corner balls near the pockets and leave the CB frozen on the spot. How would you then get safe from that leave? Or, is that safety shot somehow just a trap that top players all learned to avoid?

Old
  (#10)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

11-22-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDan View Post
? Curious. Could you elaborate? Seems like if the rack was tight (clean balls on fast cloth) and the CB was in the center of the table, a precise hit might send both corner balls near the pockets and leave the CB frozen on the spot. How would you then get safe from that leave? Or, is that safety shot somehow just a trap that top players all learned to avoid?
Racks using a standard triangle are rarely tight. Gaps that are just barely visible make a difference.

Have you ever tried to freeze the cue ball to both head balls shooting straight down the center of the table? The problem is that you will always hit one ball first and the cue ball will go off to the opposite side.

If you do try to freeze on the top of the rack, a better approach is to shoot full at an object ball. If that ball is not touching both balls behind it I think there will be problems.

If you play onto the front of the rack, there are nearly always easy returns and often you sell out. If you can read the gaps, you will do better.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#11)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

11-23-2018, 11:19 AM

I wonder if that same principle applies to freezing the CB to an undisturbed rack from any direction? Is it always a better safety to graze a corner ball and leave the CB downtable?

Old
  (#12)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

11-23-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I wonder if that same principle applies to freezing the CB to an undisturbed rack from any direction? Is it always a better safety to graze a corner ball and leave the CB downtable?
There are two standard plays. One is to the side and one is to the bottom of the rack. In both cases you are playing full on a ball that is next to one of the two corner balls. The shots work so consistently that it is usually not necessary to check the rack. These safes have been discussed here before but I'm not sure what to search on.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#13)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

11-23-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
... Is it always a better safety to graze a corner ball and leave the CB downtable?
In the old days the top players never, ever played a thin hit on the full rack from a distance to leave the cue ball on the head cushion. They would take a foul to the bottom of the rack first.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#14)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

11-24-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
In the old days the top players never, ever played a thin hit on the full rack from a distance to leave the cue ball on the head cushion. They would take a foul to the bottom of the rack first.

Like this?

https://youtu.be/Er7In9iJ5wM?t=442

Old
  (#15)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

11-24-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
Yes. Notice how he landed full on the middle ball, hard enough that balls were released from the sides but not hard enough for the cue ball to slide along the bottom of the rack and leave a shot up-table.

With balls loose on the sides, Balsis couldn't simply push up to the head rail. From the back of the rack, there was no good safe to play, so he forced Crane to play from the position.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 11-24-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: