Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Breakshot...What would you do ? and what i did !!
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-24-2018, 01:58 PM

If you graze thin hit and try get distance you will leave dead combo around 1 time per 5 attempts. This is only when you are against player who can find those dead balls. You probably sell out open shpt sometimes too.

P. S nice shot Steve. Me like!

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
My Snooker 147 with Pool Cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtIEF_vL0A
Super Strong match against 10-Ball Ghost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6okbwLetu4&t=

Old
  (#17)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

11-27-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekur1 View Post
I obviously overshot my keyball and ended up dead straight.

I used to practice this shot all the time. But it never came up in a game until now, I recognized it right away and had to go for it.

Practice paid off big on this one !! In more ways than one..lol cha-Ching !!
I assume you came in to the top of the pack without much velocity, just to knock out just a few balls, in order to be able to keep your run alive?

Old
  (#18)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

11-27-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
In the old days the top players never, ever played a thin hit on the full rack from a distance to leave the cue ball on the head cushion. They would take a foul to the bottom of the rack first.
Makes you wonder how you can play a game your whole life and not realize this. Never too old to learn, I guess. I only recently figured out, that instead of always trying for perfect straight-in/stop-shot shape on a side pocket keyball, itís usually better to leave an angle toward the headrail, and then come back parallel to the siderail (since speed control is thus less critical).

Old
  (#19)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

11-27-2018, 04:31 PM

Please take note that although Mr. Crane did shoot the correct shot (under the circumstances), he DID LOSE the first exchange. Mr. Balsis did get the first shot, and pocketed a ball (though he got stuck). The problem with the foul shot, is that frequently it produces no threat balls, and you end up right were you started...If you try to speed the shot up, you risk sliding off the rack. This shot is not as sure of a thing as some imply.

Shooting the back of the stack foul is something I do, but not very frequently. It depends heavily on the table. If I suspect there is a roll, or if I'm tight on the cushion in the spot Mr. Crane was, then sure. If I'm off the cushion, on a good, true table, there are other options, depending on the cueballs exact location. If you are located more to the side, there is a 1-rail with english to the back of the stack, that can actually be a legal safe. With a tight rack there isn't as much risk as one would think, though it requires practise and speed control. As this is shot with a faster speed, threat balls will emerge almost every time, so it's a good shot, even if you foul. Freezing to the top of the stack is a viable shot on a good rack and table, especially if you are close, but not from the rail or long distance. This is why you must ALWAYS read the rack before safeties of any nature.

As far as the OP is concerned, I like the shot and shoot it when it comes up at 9, 10 and 8 ball. Never in a million years would I shoot it in 14.1. Good on you for pulling it off.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 11-27-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Old
  (#20)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

11-27-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Yes. Notice how he landed full on the middle ball, hard enough that balls were released from the sides but not hard enough for the cue ball to slide along the bottom of the rack and leave a shot up-table.

With balls loose on the sides, Balsis couldn't simply push up to the head rail. From the back of the rack, there was no good safe to play, so he forced Crane to play from the position.
I wonder if Crane saw the 2 ball in the corner before he played the last safety or if he just saw it after Balsis pushed to the rail. I'm thinking he might have seen it and tried to bait Balsis into pushing to the rail.

Old
  (#21)
SARDiver
JCC Chief
SARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond reputeSARDiver has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2018, 07:02 AM

Cool shot, but I don't think I would have the gumption to try that.

I think I would call safe and pocket the ball, leaving a full rack with the ball in the dead center of the table. I'm sure there are downsides to that, but that's what I would likely choose to do.

Old
  (#22)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

11-28-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDiver View Post
Cool shot, but I don't think I would have the gumption to try that.

I think I would call safe and pocket the ball, leaving a full rack with the ball in the dead center of the table. I'm sure there are downsides to that, but that's what I would likely choose to do.
I would not like to leave my opponent that close to the rack, it would be too easy to feather the corner ball and put you up table. Me, I'd feather that ball and go into the side of the rack and open up balls. Like another said, if you shoot this shot against me when I was playing good, I'd wanna raise the bet. Watched a ton of 14.1 and played Varner in the Midwest Collegiate finals @ IU.

14.1 at Janscos, Lassiter would of stuck ya where the sun don't shine. These shots are Very Low percentage, especially if your on your last barrel.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Last edited by Island Drive; 11-28-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Old
  (#23)
SlateMate
AzB Silver Member
SlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond reputeSlateMate has a reputation beyond repute

12-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
That's a hell of a break shot.
If I see someone constantly going for break shots like that I want to raise the bet.
you bet.... that's hokey as hell. no one in their right mind would go for that break-shot unless they were playing a hack.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: