BK3 reliability and durability ?

M4verick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm on the fence atm when it comes to getting a break cue. One of the contenders is the Predator BK3 (I'm reluctant to spent 200$ more on REVO). From what I read BK3 is one of the most popular break cues but the problem is I live in Poland, here cue maintenance is more difficult then in the US (no Seyberts, lol) so the durability and maintenance free is imprtant to me.

I read a lot of bad opinions here regarding uni-loc join and also found some information that the BK3 is brittle (breaking ferrules and shafts). Is that a fact ? Can any long time BK3 owner provide me some review ? I want to have 1 break cue for years and not to be bothered by the maintenance too much...

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm on the fence atm when it comes to getting a break cue. One of the contenders is the Predator BK3 (I'm reluctant to spent 200$ more on REVO). From what I read BK3 is one of the most popular break cues but the problem is I live in Poland, here cue maintenance is more difficult then in the US (no Seyberts, lol) so the durability and maintenance free is imprtant to me.

I read a lot of bad opinions here regarding uni-loc join and also found some information that the BK3 is brittle (breaking ferrules and shafts). Is that a fact ? Can any long time BK3 owner provide me some review ? I want to have 1 break cue for years and not to be bothered by the maintenance too much...
Hi from Ukraine). I don't know what kind of cue maintenance do you mean. BK3 has a phenolic tip on it which can last for all the years to break. The shaft is solid maple with c.f. core, joint and low end mass. That's why it performs so good when it comes to energy transfer with fairly low deflection which helps to control the CB. Our best players at the moment among men and women Vitaliy Patsura and Katerina Polovinchuk both have BK3 and they are more then satisfied with it. The only obvious upgrade among production break cues is BK Rush (IMO). When it comes to durability it may be lets say traditional break shaft with solid end at the tip and phenolic ferrule may be more durable but it is the price you pay for really low deflection as for a break shaft but I did not hear any negative experience with it being brittle.
When it comes to unilock joint the first time I got to know any negative things about this joint was once I become a member here and read some reviews. My current player and break/jump cue I've built for myself both have unilock joints and I don't have any problems with them. Most of players here have the cues with this joint and I did not hear anybody complaining... may be we are lucky.
Pool is so popular in your country and I'm sure there are many players using BK3 so the best way is to look for possibility to give it a try. From my experience it is really good break cue. The only maintenance and change which makes it even better is to put a better break tip like Hammerhead or Taom. Just two weeks ago Vitaliy put Taom break tip he got from Fedor Gorst on his BK3 and this tip made it to break even better.

Last edited: