Joe Davis

Mike Porter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi PT, I just found this thread. It’s always great to commemorate the great man. Just curious, was it at the CNE, that you had met Joe? I heard that he was signing his latest book at the time. The title escapes me at the moment, but I do believe that I have a signed copy. I will post a picture later today, showing some Joe Davis material. Can you imagine how good he would have been if he could have played under present day conditions.
Mike

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hi PT, I just found this thread. It’s always great to commemorate the great man. Just curious, was it at the CNE, that you had met Joe? I heard that he was signing his latest book at the time. The title escapes me at the moment, but I do believe that I have a signed copy. I will post a picture later today, showing some Joe Davis material. Can you imagine how good he would have been if he could have played under present day conditions.
Mike

Yes, Mike, it was at the CNE....Al Selinger arranged the meeting.

The book you would be referring to is The Breaks Came My Way.

Incidentally, on this day, April 17, in 1875, Colonel Chamberlain uttered
the word that named this game....SNOOKER...

Mike Porter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi PT, when I said that I had just found this thread, I obviously meant, since you posted a BD wish. You have a good memory, nice tidbit on the origins of snooker. I guess a belated Happy Birthday to the great game of Snooker is in order.
You’re right, it was The Breaks Came My Way. Al was the owner of Dufferins wasn’t he? I purchased my first cue at their show room on Titan Avenue(??). Was Terry Haddock also involved during that time or did that come later?
I have attached some books I have on Joe Davis. I also have some memorabilia that have Joe’s name spelt Davies. Do you know if they are knock offs and they through an “e” into the name, to eliminate Joe suing them?
Take Care
Mike

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hi PT, when I said that I had just found this thread, I obviously meant, since you posted a BD wish. You have a good memory, nice tidbit on the origins of snooker. I guess a belated Happy Birthday to the great game of Snooker is in order.
You’re right, it was The Breaks Came My Way. Al was the owner of Dufferins wasn’t he? I purchased my first cue at their show room on Titan Avenue(??). Was Terry Haddock also involved during that time or did that come later?
I have attached some books I have on Joe Davis. I also have some memorabilia that have Joe’s name spelt Davies. Do you know if they are knock offs and they through an “e” into the name, to eliminate Joe suing them?
Take Care
Mike

Well, it's that time of year again........
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOE DAVIS

Mike...
I'm going to test my memory from 'The Breaks Came MY Way'......
...When Joe was a lad in Chesterfield, he won his first snooker tournament....
...the first prize was a set of snooker balls.
On his way home, it was late for a kid, he was stopped by a policeman, who wanted to know
what he had in the bag....Joe said "Balls.".....
" In my enthusiasm for brevity, I neglected to say 'snooker'."

And referring to the misnomer 'Davies'......I used to use that name in my rube act when
I was a kid ( I didn't have to change much to be a rube :eek: )...
.." I'll play you for a hundred a game, I know lots about snooker, I saw John, er, uh, Joe
Davies run a 160 once!"
"You can't run 160 at snooker. :eek:"
" Oh yeah?.....let's make it $200 a game. :angry:"

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are two other Joe Davis books.

JoeDavis 001.jpg

JoeDavis 002.jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanx for showing these ^, Bob.
Never knew these existed...wish I had done more research when I used
to go overseas.
I've spent hours at Foyles on Charing Cross in London.

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I generally re-visit this thread two or three times throughout the year. It is good for contemplation about why I play this game.

Happy Birthday, Joe! Enjoy the current crop playing for the privilege of your trophy.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Happy birthday, Joe Davis

You can trace Joe's career by the cues...
A three time World English Billiards Champion....
...to the first World Snooker Championship that he won 90 years ago.

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

Joe Davis cues are still being made today.....
...they will sell as long as snooker is played.

bstroud

Deceased
Joe Davis was the most important person in the history of Snooker.

His book "Advanced Snooker" changed my life forever.

Happy birthday Joe!

Bill S.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Happy birthday, Joe Davis.

You may have left us, but you will always be where ever Snooker is played.

157C85E2-ED4C-463E-8ACC-8C3A304EF281.jpeg

Another great player that I just became aware of having the same birthdate....
..Clark McConachy

5BB55F2E-F6B8-46F9-9DE7-7AAE7DE368A2.jpeg

Just one statistic demonstrates his durability and his dominance: he was the New Zealand professional billiards champion from 1914 until his death in 1980.

He was world billiards champion from 1951 to 1968 and he claimed world records and many break feats during his long career.

His snooker feats included more than 300 century breaks and the maximum 147 in 1951.

Another indication of his enduring skill was that he was a finalist in the world snooker championships in 1932 and again in 1952.

He was the second player to achieve the cueist’s ultimate — 1000 in billiards and 147 in snooker.

Among the tributes paid to McConachy was one in The Times in London: “Lindrum, Davis, McConachy and Tom Newman were so sure of shot in compiling their mammoth breaks that ordinary members of the public could not identify with their efforts.”

Mike Porter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi PT hopefully you do not have too much digging out to do. Thanks for jogging our memory on Joe’s birthday. I don’t think I’ve seen that picture before. Also nice find with McConachy.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hi PT hopefully you do not have too much digging out to do. Thanks for jogging our memory on Joe’s birthday. I don’t think I’ve seen that picture before. Also nice find with McConachy.

It’s freezing rain....no digging out the front walk till the sun comes out...
...don’t want to get hit by a Zamboni...:eek:

Hope you’re well

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Happy birthday, Joe Davis

4DFAADC1-319E-4527-AB6F-34F6FCEE9A87.jpeg

Being a World English billiards champion, Joe was well acquainted with the massé .....
...grand and petit