Polished weight bolt

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Looking for a supplier for polished weight bolts for bumperless cues. I have looked around online and am not sure if stainless 316 or the 18-8 is the correct ones. I have the buffer to polish the heads of the bolts. Any help, please PM it to me.
Thanks,
Dave

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave38

I buy mine chrome played from motorcycle shop they are made for I believe dress harley 3/8 by 16. I have them in 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and 3.5 inch. Round head flattop. With Allen head.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I buy mine chrome played from motorcycle shop they are made for I believe dress harley 3/8 by 16. I have them in 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and 3.5 inch. Round head flattop. With Allen head.

These are very nice quality

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The same as I use, doesnt take much polishing to bring to a mirror like shine.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looking for a supplier for polished weight bolts for bumperless cues. I have looked around online and am not sure if stainless 316 or the 18-8 is the correct ones. I have the buffer to polish the heads of the bolts. Any help, please PM it to me.
Thanks,
Dave

You can polish any good grade of stainless.

Reactions: JC

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Thanks guys, I will be buying the 18-8 and a few of the chrome also and see which the customer likes best.
Dave

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
This is mine, bought it in store with nautica accessories
b4220e458601d30e630e49ce402964af.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
So, bought some chrome plated and some 18-8 stainless....there is a before and after I sanded/polished the 18-8....which is the chrome plated??? lol The stainless came out looking similar and a lot cheaper. The 18-8 is the one on the left. Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions.
Dave
20190513_165650.jpg

20190513_161315.jpg

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like better machining & finish, too.
Nice work!
+ you could engrave you logo or wt. etc in the SS version before polishing if desired.

Anyone able to compare machining 18-8 vs 17-4? I love 17-4, but not a mirror shine guy myself so couldn't say how it polishes.

smt

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thread size

I don't know anythis about the 18-8 Thread could you photo it beside the 3/8 by 16.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
It's not the thread, it's the grade of the stainless. The thread is still 3/8 x 16. The grade is a lower one than like 316 stainless but is much cheaper, and after taking small facing cuts on it, the sanding and then polishing, seems to be almost as shiny as a chrome plated one at a fraction of the price.
Dave

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Looks like better machining & finish, too.
Nice work!
+ you could engrave you logo or wt. etc in the SS version before polishing if desired.

Anyone able to compare machining 18-8 vs 17-4? I love 17-4, but not a mirror shine guy myself so couldn't say how it polishes.

smt

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/machinability.htm

18-8 (304) is rated at 45% the machinability of 1212
17-4 is rated at 48% the machinability of 1212

One way to get some understanding / point-of-reference that many of us will know is with the A-2 or O-1 tool steels, your typical drill rod.

Dave

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
18-8 (304) is rated at 45% the machinability of 1212
17-4 is rated at 48% the machinability of 1212

thanks, Dave K.
I did not realize 18-8 = 304.
That stuff can be nasty for work hardening.

Looks like 17-4 is a whopping 3 points/6.6% better machinability :)
So at least no reason to change (for me). + I sometimes use the PH option. Low temp/ good hardness range, through harden with minimal distortion. Despite precipitation hardening beginning as low as (going from memory) 950 or so, I have not experienced it work hardening the way 304 can if the tool dulls suddenly.

smt