Brunswick vs Olhausen

posaune

I know what you're thinking....this has been asked a 1000 times? I didn't see this question on the site so I thought I'd ask and for other people that would like to know.

Anyway, I'm a first time buyer of a house and pool table. I've always wanted to own a table since I was in middle school. Now's my chance and would like to get an honest objective (if possible please) opinions on the brunswick vs olhausen tables.

I have 2 dealers in my area that one sells olhausen and the other sells brunswick

Brunswick dealer is going to sell me an Allentown (contendor series) with tournament felt upgrade for free and new aramith pros for extra $90. Also comes with a play package, 4 cues, balls, chalk, rack, etc. Total with delivery and setup is $2400 (tax included).

Olhausen dealer is selling the lowest end one....think americana? with about same play package and free delivery and setup. Best cloth $100 extra. Selling Aramith pros for $250. Total w/tax about $3200.

The brunswick deal is way more attractive in terms of $$$ but would the extra cost of the olhausen be worth it?

I'm willing to pay extra for better performance but don't care about looks, MDF exterior which I know some of the cost is in material. All I care about is performance though. I've heard that olhausen's cusions are better than the brunswick contender series. I'm sure that's a fact but by how much?

Anybody have an objective opinion on which plays better? I know some of this is subjective but just trying to get a consensus.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not consider a used Gold Crown or Diamond. Recover with Simonis 860 and use rubber of choice based on the table.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't buy either. Get a used commercial quality table. Either a Brunswick GC or a Diamond. They can be had installed for roughly 3k depending on what deal you find. The difference between a used commercial table and a new non-commercial table is night and day. I'd recommend going to the mechanics sub forum here and asking any of the guys there if they have a used commercial table in your geographical area of the country.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
if your not a professional or a life long player of one or the other brands your looking at
I doubt you'd be able to notice much if any difference
dont they have a floor model you can test

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown

Neither....

As others have recommended, buy a used Brunswick Gold Crown. They are generally sold for ~$750.

Try to find a GC I or a GC II.

I have even seen them for $500 and for free from sellers needing to get them out of the house because of moving.

A new Olhausen or Brunswick won't be worth even half of your purchase price on resale, not to mention the fact that neither compare to a Gold Crown.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Neither....

As others have recommended, buy a used Brunswick Gold Crown. They are generally sold for ~$750.

Try to find a GC I or a GC II.

I have even seen them for $500 and for free from sellers needing to get them out of the house because of moving.

A new Olhausen or Brunswick won't be worth even half of your purchase price on resale, not to mention the fact that neither compare to a Gold Crown.

wow who sells gcs for 750?
mine didn't cost that much for sure

posaune

I used to play a lot in my high school to college days. Since moving to Utah haven't played almost at all since it's not big at all in SLC. So the pickins are slim here, REALLY slim.

I was a serious player for a while but haven't really played in the last 15 yrs. Want to pick it back up and tighten my skills and join a league but it's really hard to find one even in SLC. That's how bad it is here now. They only have 1 legit pool hall in the whole metro area, (btw, the owner shot himself due to cancer and now that one is closed).

I've only played on bar tables so I doubt I'd be missing out a lot since I'd be playing mostly on those in a local league. It's not big here so I doubt I could find a used commercial table anyway.

But to answer my question, which seems to be the best bang for the buck? I'm not asking what you guys like to play on but if you had to choose between these 2 tables which would you buy for the price?

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Are the GCs only in 9s or 10s? I can't fit more than an 8 and that's going to be really tight?

if your going 7 ft id go diamond
nice lookin
better playn
more people willing to buy if and when you'd want to sell it

posaune

Can anybody answer my question of the 2 tables mentioned above? I'm not asking what is the best table out there but which of the 2 are is better for the $$$. I doubt I can get a better table since there isn't a lot to choose from here in utah.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there are plenty of 8' GC, but 8' is out of sync for a serious player. If you can not go 9', go 7" Diamond or go to a pool hall

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Come on everyone --- our pal posaune has asked 3 of his 4 questions WHICH of the two choices he's considering and the only answers he is getting are the ones he doesn't want.

Here goes ---- get the Brunswick. Hands down. Yes, it's cheaper but still a dang fine table. Better value on the cloth and the ball upgrades as well. Both will depreciate like crazy if you ever wanted to resell so don't worry about that.

There's nothing like delivery and pro setup of your new Brunswick table - and that includes their Contender series. Do it today.

Hope that helps :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh - and yes, many Gold Crowns were produced in standard 8' as well as the oversized 8's in addition the the nines to answer your other question in this thread.

Shane33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your just getting back into it and going to play in league then I would go buy a valley bar table. You can get one fixed up with new rails and cloth for under $1200. Look around .

I also agree if you could find a used diamond 7' for around $2500-$3000 I like them the best.

In answer to your actual post. I would not buy the cheaper Brunswick. Have not heard or read good things about them. I have two friends with Olhausen tables so I have actually experience on them but not the brunswick.

I could not find a used diamond or valley for the couple months I looked. My buddy knew the local Olhausen dealer so I ended up there.

The entry level Olhausen is the drake. It was $1850. Upgrade to simonis 860 was $75 Upgrade to aramith premium balls was $50. Wider rail was $100. Olhausen play across the tables is the same just materials under slate can be different.

He ended up having an Augusta 7' on the floor with the wider rails which I think is important and will give you the space to rest your hand properly when shooting off the rail. It was $2850 retail. I got 20 % off added cloth and ball upgrade and was out the door with tax for under $2600. He threw in the better olhausen cover as well. Its solid oak all the way around and I love the hell out of it !

Also as you probably know the Olhausen rails are lifetime warranty. Just FYI all the display tables had hood pockets and the pointed edge where they meet the rails stick out just a bit. I shot on my table before I bought it and it didn't effect it any. However I did not like the color pockets on the table and he let me pick from all the Olhausen labeled pockets that he had in back. I picked a leather shield style and they lined up perfect when installed.

Good luck table hunting, show your Olhausen dealer this post maybe it will help your bargaining lol. I can take pic of receipt if it would help you !

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Olhausens have very thin top rail and low cushion profile.
Lower than the industry standard . If you went out and played on Diamond or Brunswick tables, you'll have to adjust a lot b/c they play much more differently than Olh.
Olh also is known for "death rattle" by corner pockets.

frankiecl

Registered
I bought a new Olhausen Sheraton 3 years ago brand new for $2500. Solid Oak rails, Laminate around the base and on the legs, 760 cloth, I had a set of aramith balls but the ones that came with the table are quality. Cushions are fantastic and it looks nice. I just wanted a good playing table and it plays like or better than any other top of the line pool table. Olhausen's are handmade in America and service is fantastic also. I don't know any other company that you can call with a problem and talk to the owner. Brunswick? Who are you going to call in China? Buying a GC 1,2 or 3 is like buying an old car with a couple hundred thousand miles on it. Resale value isn't an issue, I wouldn't sell mine for all the GC in China. Practicing on an 8' will keep you sharp on any other size table. Diamond is a very nice table that most tournaments are played on today but you can't touch one plane jane without forking out several thousand more. I'll be getting another Olhausen for my winter home soon.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Oh - and yes, many Gold Crowns were produced in standard 8' as well as the oversized 8's in addition the the nines to answer your other question in this thread.

Brunswick never produced a standard size 44 x 88 Gold Crown, sorry;)