Jayson Shaw

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is Jayson putting on the cue ball to make the last ball on this thin cut shot .... Please no disrespect if you’re not 100% sure do not respond ... thanks ... I could not upload a pic or video ... But if you can go to YouTube [Jason Shaw official] Drill number 2 diagonal 15 ball drill ...

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is Jayson putting on the cue ball to make the last ball on this thin cut shot .... Please no disrespect if you’re not 100% sure do not respond ... thanks ... I could not upload a pic or video ... But if you can go to YouTube [Jason Shaw official] Drill number 2 diagonal 15 ball drill ...
Here's link to the video:

https://youtu.be/CaiDIRkALXw?t=169

Go to 2:49 if your browser doesn't go there automatically.

Plain follow. You can tell by what the cue ball does.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cropped the video and slowed it down a bit.

https://youtu.be/TmL4LZhv6Vg

It looks like a tip of follow based on how he’s addressing, the lack of spin on the measles ball, and the natural path it’s taking off the rails.

That makes sense to me too. I assume he’s trying to keep it simple. No need to put swerve or deflection in the mix with side spin. Just a natural rolling cueball.

I’ve had people try to tell me over the years that using this spin or that spin really makes the object ball hug the rail. I firmly believe that’s all malarkey. A simple rolling cueball with good aim and a good stroke will get the job done. Doing anything else to the ball just adds difficulty...which may be called for depending on the shape you’re playing for...but not necessarily called for to make the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A fraction of follow, a fraction of inside.

When I say fraction, like very little, not even a quarter of a tip.

I believe he was using Inside english (just a little bit of a high inside english, just above center on the cue ball). I believe that Inside english is really the only way to make a cut shot like that. I can't see that shot being makable with any other type of english, on the cue ball. I would have put extreme inside english to to to make that shot.

Wow, that was an amazing drill, and an amazing run out. Very impressive.

If you are talking this shot, I think he hit the cue ball above center with a hair of left (inside) English to hold it on the rail.

https://youtu.be/CaiDIRkALXw?t=164

Yeah, I think he used just a little bit above center, and inside english on that shot. It did not look like he used extreme inside, like I would have (if I attempted that shot), because the cue ball only followed a little bit to the left, off of the rail.

Anyways, good call.

Amazing shot, and an amazing run out.

I cropped the video and slowed it down a bit.

https://youtu.be/TmL4LZhv6Vg

It looks like a tip of follow based on how he’s addressing, the lack of spin on the measles ball, and the natural path it’d taking off the rails.

That makes sense to me too. I assume he’s trying to keep it simple. No need to put swerve or deflection in the mix with side spin. Just a natural rolling cueball.

I’ve had people try to tell me over the years that using this spin or that spin really makes the object ball hug the rail. I firmly believe that’s all malarkey. A simple rolling cueball with good aim and a good stroke will get the job done. Doing anything else to the ball just adds difficulty...which may be called for depending on the shape you’re playing for...but not necessarily called for to make the shot.

I do not believe that a shot like that can be made using anything other then above center inside (left hand) english. The left hand english is needed to make the object ball hug the rail.

That shot can't be made any other way. It needs Inside english (and above center, on the cue ball) on it, or it will not hug the rail.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do not believe that a shot like that can be made using anything other then above center inside (left hand) english. The left hand english is needed to make the object ball hug the rail.

That shot can't be made any other way. It needs Inside english (and above center, on the cue ball) on it, or it will not hug the rail.
Well, no. The shot can be made lots of ways. Inside, outside, nothing, follow, draw.

I still see no reason to believe he played it with any left side spin.

Well, no. The shot can be made lots of ways. Inside, outside, nothing, follow, draw.

I still see no reason to believe he played it with any left side spin.

I find it very hard to argue with a player of your skill and knowledge of the game, but I still can't see that shot being possible with outside english, or any english other then inside english.

I am going to try this shot a few times, using inside, outside, and center (on the cue ball) when I get a chance.

That shot looks so difficult, and I can only see myself having any chance at making it, using Inside english.

Would love to see a video of you (or anyone) making that shot, using outside english. I just do not see it happening.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It looks like the cueball followed a rolling path off the rails. With even a touch of inside I would have expected it to track up table a half-a-diamond more. I’ll play around with it some on a bar box to test out the cueball paths with various spins.

Also note that in Jayson’s shot, the object ball didn’t actually hug the rail.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it very hard to argue with a player of your skill and knowledge of the game, but I still can't see that shot being possible with outside english, or any english other then inside english.

I am going to try this shot a few times, using inside, outside, and center (on the cue ball) when I get a chance.

That shot looks so difficult, and I can only see myself having any chance at making it, using Inside english.

Would love to see a video of you (or anyone) making that shot, using outside english. I just do not see it happening.

Any individual making any shot depends completely on that individual's skill level.

The shot can be made with any english. truth.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
If Jayson would answer the comments we could at least find out how he hit it!Haha
He did reply to a comment about his shoes though. Go figure.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent just under an hour shooting this shot over and over with different English. Don’t worry, I missed more than I made it. But I put together a video compiling my key takeaways. I had an initial vision of making it some kind of Rollie Williams style cut but then decided I didn’t want to put that degree of production into it and slapped it together quickly.

https://youtu.be/gHzKTLaRNrU