Piloted versus flat Players shafts

ral819

Registered
Just a question to the Cue makers here, about low deflection Players shafts. I bought an HXT - 30 and liked the performance of the Cue. I wanted a back up shaft so I purchased one however, it is a different shaft insert. The HXT-30 came with a "piloted" Low Deflection shaft in 5/16 X 18. The spare shaft is the same but is flat at the insert. Is that going to be detrimental ? It threads on fine and seems to play fine. I don't mean to split hairs but, is a piloted insert there for a reason ? Should I return the shaft for piloted ?

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
The vast majority of piloted joints in production cues serve no real purpose.
If it fits the cue well, you're fine.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have made many replacements for piloted shafts........ I made every one flat faced............. never a problem.

Kim

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5/16 14 have so much wobble, I think they need the pilot. :D

If the pilot doesn't fit and snug up to the inside walls of the butt joint, like a compression wooden pilot, what is it doing?

Is it just adding another thread or two to the length the pin intrudes into the shaft?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Yeah, most of them do. I have found some with pretty tight tolerances and very little wobble.

Great. Never seen any of those . It's funny that 5/16 18 is considered national coarse then 14 came out .

Last edited:

tsp&b

Silver Member
5/16 18 = N/C
5/16 24 = N/F
5/16 32 = N/EF
5/16 14 = cuemakers invention!!!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:eek::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
I heard Joss also did 13 for brunswick cues .

Ain't that somethin :grin-square:

IMG_20200523_174536.jpg

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
5/16 18 = N/C
5/16 24 = N/F
5/16 32 = N/EF
5/16 14 = cuemakers invention!!!

It's not a cuemaker's invention

It was a furniture screw that Brunswick and other firms pushed out since they had easy access to the tooling.

So it's worse than a cuemaker's invention, it's a wood screw that is now "classic" for cues

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hahaha....WHY
Rights of individualism.

Let me explain what has changed over the years.
Right to Individualism is helping to protect your companies survival for future repairs. Whether it's new shafts, refinishing or something so simple as joint protectors. Back in the day, no one was going to have taps and dies made if they didn't have the option for live threading. Secondly, they were not as many Cue makers, repair people, or hobbyists as there are today, nor was the information available.
Times were different. Today is different but I'm not convinced today is better different in the long run as far as Cue mechanics.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hahaha....WHY
Rights of individualism.

to answer your question seriously
if a buyer uses an after market low defection shaft
then he has to buy a special shaft to fit this cuemakers cue
in other words
if i have several 15/16x14 ld shafts and buy a cue with a 5/16 x13 or 18
pin
now i have to buy a whole new set of shafts to accommodate it
if the odd balls were eliminated
i could mix and match
jmho
i own cues from various cuemakers
they have different cue weights and balance and different butt diameters
i use the same brand LD shaft based on pin to play with them
in spite of the same shaft they play different based on the characteristics of the cuemakers construction of his butt
jmho

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not a cuemaker's invention

It was a furniture screw that Brunswick and other firms pushed out since they had easy access to the tooling.

So it's worse than a cuemaker's invention, it's a wood screw that is now "classic" for cues

Wasn't the other part of the furniture screw a course wood thread?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to answer your question seriously
if a buyer uses an after market low defection shaft
then he has to buy a special shaft to fit this cuemakers cue
in other words
if i have several 15/16x14 ld shafts and buy a cue with a 5/16 x13 or 18
pin
now i have to buy a whole new set of shafts to accommodate it
if the odd balls were eliminated
i could mix and match
jmho

Hi Larry
Trust me, I know. But that has nothing to do with the survival of the company that uses a different joint screw.
Examples
Cognoscenti, Wes Hunter, Mezz wavy Bill Strouds acme, Drexler has one too. There's a long list.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Hi Larry
Trust me, I know. But that has nothing to do with the survival of the company that uses a different joint screw.
Examples
Cognoscenti, Wes Hunter, Mezz wavy Bill Strouds acme, Drexler has one too. There's a long list.

do you have any 3/8-12 pins?