I met Steve Mizerak once through Jay Flowers

SC Hollywood

Registered
I'm a little long winded so apologies in advance. There were 9-ball tournaments held in Columbia, SC starting in 1987 and ran for 5 or 6 years or thereabouts called RAKM UP CLASSIC. It was in the late 80's or 1990 don't remember the exact year and I was in the lobby outside the tournament room at the Sheraton and struck up a conversation with a guy about the leather cue case that Mike Sigel had and that I would like to have one. As luck would have it the guy was Jay Flowers and he told me that he had sold Sigel the case. Jay was playing in the tourny so we scheduled a time for me to meet him at his room the next day to discuss the details. When I arrived the next day and went in, Jay says "Gene, have you met Steve Mizerak who was sitting in a chair there in the room. I hadn't and said no, the Miller Beer guy right, Mizerak chuckled and said yeah that's me. After we worked out the details about the case we got to talking about cues. I told Jay I was looking to buy another one and was thinking about a Joss, I had a Meucci at the time. Jay asked me if I had considered a Schon and I told him I hadn't because I didn't know anyone who owned one. Jay told me that he collected Schon cues and he knew this guy in Memphis named Gordon Christopherson, went by Gordy that had a Schon cue he thought I would like better than a Joss. He gave me one of this guys business cards and says I'll give Gordy a call and tell him you may call him about this cue. Jay says, "If you buy this Schon from Gordy and don't like it, I'll buy it from you for what you pay for it and you can buy a Joss." I look over at Mizerak and he says, “Gene, sounds like a hell of a deal to me, you don't have anything to lose. I called Gordy a day or so later and ended up buying the Schon. The cue arrived with one of Gordy's business cards and on the back he had written the cue weight and that I could change it if I wanted, it came with several weight screws and signed it "Gordy". I still have Jay and Gordy's business cards and both of the original shafts, one of the shafts still has the original tip. A fairly short meeting with "The Miz" but I'll remember it as long as I'm vertical. Just wish, in retrospect that I would have had Mizerak sign the card. I was young then and it never even crossed my mind. Dagnabbit!!