Red Label to Blue Label conversion -- Diamond Table

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a Red Label Diamond is refurbished with brand new, 2018 rails from Diamond, does that make it play like a Blue Label table? If not, what would?

Also, what is a Black Label Diamond? Does that exist?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I wold imagine that the table fitted with new Diamond rails will play like it was blue. There is such a thing as a black label and plays like a red.

Ask this question in the table mechanics section.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
When I had it done, it required re-cutting the wood angle backing the rail. The Red Label rail angle pointed the nose of the cushion down slightly, which caused the rail nose to be slightly under where it should be on a ball hitting the rail. This lower contact point on a ball "lifted" up the ball, which causes much short rebound angles, and caused the ball to appear to actually pick up speed when striking a rail. It doesn't really, as that is pretty much physically impossible, but the ball doesn't lose as much speed as it does on a properly angled cushion, so it's a perception thing. It comes off much faster than it "should".

It's actually a pretty extensive process, generally costing $800+ and requiring the services of a very experienced table mechanic.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played on a red label in Cape coral Florida- diamonds Pool Hall- REALLY BAD tables- short on banks, long on rebound speed, pockets play terrible- reject correctly hit object balls- like a pin ball machine- NOT a POOL table in my opinion- I would not go near one even for free, every aspect of that table played incorrectly IMO

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If a Red Label Diamond is refurbished with brand new, 2018 rails from Diamond, does that make it play like a Blue Label table? If not, what would?

BRAND NEW RAILS?
I don't see why it wouldn't play like blue label if they are the same blue label rails.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
BRAND NEW RAILS?
I don't see why it wouldn't play like blue label if they are the same blue label rails.

Please read my reply above before giving incorrect info. The angle of the wood BEHIND the rail is incorrect, and no rail you attach to it will play correctly, until that angle is corrected.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the feedback. I know diamonds have a name plate that’s either red or blue designating between the two. Can anyone tell me the first year that Blue Labels were made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You can actually buy a new Blue label top for the table.no sub rail mod, just a new blue label top: new rails, corners and aprons. . :)

Trent from Toledo

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
You can actually buy a new Blue label top for the table.no sub rail mod, just a new blue label top: new rails, corners and aprons. . :)

Trent from Toledo

Yeah, but what is the cost? With the shipping/installation, I'd imagine the price would be comparable to having a well-reviewed table mechanic do it.. And they'd likely fix any other small issues with the table at the same time...

But yeah.. A whole new top is an option for those who don't have a top mechanic close.

Does Diamond give any sort of trade-in credit for the poorly designed Red Label top?

Lulz.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I believe Black is older than red. Either way I’d by a new blue label top.

Are you asking about new rails or new cushions?

Call Manning billiards or Diamond to get a price on a new top.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Yeah, but what is the cost? With the shipping/installation, I'd imagine the price would be comparable to having a well-reviewed table mechanic do it.. And they'd likely fix any other small issues with the table at the same time...

But yeah.. A whole new top is an option for those who don't have a top mechanic close.

Does Diamond give any sort of trade-in credit for the poorly designed Red Label top?

Lulz.

Just answering the OP's question:A new top is a good option. Not here to argue.

Trent from Toledo

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Please read my reply above before giving incorrect info. The angle of the wood BEHIND the rail is incorrect, and no rail you attach to it will play correctly, until that angle is corrected.

Russ, YOU ARE MISTAKING RUBBER FOR RAILS.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Whatever. I am telling you that the problem with the Red Labels is the angle of the wood behind the rubber, and it has nothing to do with faulty rubber.

A NEW SET OF RAILS will have a new set of sub-rails and cushion.

You think if someone sent his Red Label tops to Diamond have them refurbish it, they'd just install new Artemis without redoing the subrails ?

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
And much safer than hiring mechanics to redo your rails.
How many are capable to do it perfectly ?
Probably not too many. WORLDWIDE .

REAL TALK>!

There are literally 3 people I can think of I would trust to do a subrail mod....Someone thinks they are shedding light on a topic that has been THOROUGHLY discussed many times on here. Yes, we all know the red label Diamond tables do not play correctly.

Trent from Toledo

Last edited: