need help identifying & valuing 3 cues

rhh69

Registered
Hi - I have a few cues that I'm trying to get more info on, chiefly maker & value. This is for a friend whose deceased husband was an avid and world ranked player in the 1990's. We will be selling these eventually. One is a Joe Porper original - "one off" 21-22oz with amazing inlay work - abalone, bone, ebony. The others have no makers marks: one is in the 20oz class, it has 2 shafts & distinctive inlay work in the butt. Red colored hash marks both on the butt end and at the connection. The 3rd is in the 19oz class & is autographed by Ron "Fast Eddie" Allen, it has a distinctive abalone inlay in the butt of a dragon. I tried loading pix but for some reason they are not playing well with the site. Thank you in advance for any insights.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds intriguing. I didn't check your post count, but it may be because you are a new user that your privileges do not extend to posting pictures.

Alternately, you may need to do a screenshot and post that. I have to do that, when posting pics from phone.

You may have some pretty valuable items...as far as cues go.

Who was the player? We hate to hear of one of our brethren passing and it is certain that if he spent time in pool, he has people here who knew him.

Let's get that post count up ;)

rhh69

Registered
Hi - BB Thank you for the response. The player's name was Randy Kincade. He passed a number of years ago. My bride is friends with his widow. She is now ready to let his cues go to new homes so that they can be enjoyed and played with by others. He was friendly with a lot of the big names of the time.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hi - I have a few cues that I'm trying to get more info on, chiefly maker & value. This is for a friend whose deceased husband was an avid and world ranked player in the 1990's. We will be selling these eventually. One is a Joe Porper original - "one off" 21-22oz with amazing inlay work - abalone, bone, ebony. The others have no makers marks: one is in the 20oz class, it has 2 shafts & distinctive inlay work in the butt. Red colored hash marks both on the butt end and at the connection. The 3rd is in the 19oz class & is autographed by Ron "Fast Eddie" Allen, it has a distinctive abalone inlay in the butt of a dragon. I tried loading pix but for some reason they are not playing well with the site. Thank you in advance for any insights.

You might need more posts to put up the pictures. I'll PM you my email address and post them for you.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Rich sent me his cue pics and I'm posting them. Let's start with the Joe Porper cue:

Attachments

• jp1 small.jpg
    jp1 small.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 622
  • jp3 small.jpg
    jp3 small.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 619
  • jp6 small.jpg
    jp6 small.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 626

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rich sent me his cue pics and I'm posting them. Let's start with the Joe Porper cue:

Very nice looking cue, is this a wrapless, or does it have finishing on the top just like the meucci cues?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The Porper cue I can help a little with. I knew Joe well and helped him sell his cues for a year or so back around 2005 - 2006.

This cue is ebony with an ivory joint and is one of his top of the line cues. The handle is segmented buck horn, made from real stag horns Joe turned himself. (some were ivory but mostly were horn). I was in his shop with big chunks of horn laying around. The inlay does look like abalone.

This is a desirable collectible and would be around 20 years old. He probably sold it new for $4,000 or so. Don't know what the current market is, but $2,000 - $2,500 would be a good starting point at a wild guess. If you get an offer for anything around that, I would take it. The inlays are fleur-di-lis inspired. The inlay outlines are also from ivory. Joe put a lot of work into this sort of cue and it has classic Porper style.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Very nice looking cue, is this a wrapless, or does it have finishing on the top just like the meucci cues?

It is polished stag horn. This cue is a work of art!

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
The Porper cue I can help a little with. I knew Joe well and helped him sell his cues for a year or so back around 2005 - 2006.

For a while, Joe was using stone inlays and he was known for it. This cue is ebony with an ivory joint and is one of his top of the line cues. The handle is segmented buck horn, made from real stag horns Joe turned himself. I was in his shop with big chunks of horn laying around. The stone looks like Azurite. It's similar to malachite and in fact looks like it has malachite mixed into the stone.

This is a desirable collectible and would be around 20 years old. He probably sold it new for $4,000 or so. Don't know what the current market is, but $2,000 - $2,500 would be a good starting point at a wild guess. If you get an offer for anything around that, I would take it. The inlays are fleur-di-lis inspired. The inlay outlines are also from ivory. Joe put a lot of work into this sort of cue and it has classic Porper style.

I was thinking these were large abalone inlays.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This just came in - here's the Porper COA

The COA says ebony, ivory and abalone butt. The buttcap is plastic but the ivory he's referring to is the outline around the abalone.

This was the more modern Joe Porper logo, from the late 1990's. He had another one he had to change after being contacted by Jerry Pechauer, who had a similar logo.

Attachments

• Porper certificate.jpg
    Porper certificate.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Stop your chit chat and put up the Ronnie Allen cue, hahahaha

OK here you go Walter.

Does anybody recognize Ronnie's signature? Pretty interesting inlay in that sneaky pete.

Attachments

• fe1 small.jpg
    fe1 small.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 500
  • fe2 small.jpg
    fe2 small.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 498
  • fe4 small.jpg
    fe4 small.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 517
  • fe6 small.jpg
    fe6 small.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 500

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Last cue. There's something interesting about this cue that is barely seen in the over exposed pics and may be a giveaway as to the maker . I'm not sure myself but let's hear some opinions.

Attachments

• fm2 small.jpg
    fm2 small.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 511
  • fm1 small.jpg
    fm1 small.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 503
  • fm3 small.jpg
    fm3 small.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 495
  • fm4- small.jpg
    fm4- small.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Last cue. There's something interesting about this cue that is barely seen in the over exposed pics and may be a giveaway as to the maker . I'm not sure myself but let's hear some opinions.

Forearm has different types of maple, figured and straight grain?

Butt sleeve has different types of ebony?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The forearm looks to be segmented?

Was it Jerry r. who was doing those full maple segmented butts? Bbeen a while since I have seen one and since I am not that smart, I forget whom they beed made by.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Based on the pics I’d guess that Kent Davis may have built cue #3.

That's what I was thinking. It looks like one of his early cues. The butt and possibly the handle may be veneers. Good eye you guys. Rich believes the original owner was from California, so it makes sense.

Rich, you can try emailing Kent: https://www.kentdaviscues.com/

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here's a post by John Henderson on Onepocket.org with Ronnie's signature.

The signature looks the same. That would be a good place to sell the signed sneaky Pete cue. Maybe those guys even know something about this cue - the dragon inlay is very distinctive.

I've emailed John to see if he can look at this thread.

Attachments

• Ronnie Allen Poster.jpg
    Ronnie Allen Poster.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 318
Last edited: