Celebrations on top of pool tables?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I agree. And celebrations come in many forms depending on the sport.

There is a tradition in NCAA basketball when a team wins their way to the final four, they toss up a ladder and take turns cutting the nets down.
Walking though college athletic facilities, any national championship trophy for basketball or lacrosse, usually has a piece net wrapped around it. The team and the coach keep pieces of the rest.

Moments in history of any sport should be celebrated and cherished. Let them dance on the table and enjoy the moment. When they try to start drinking out of the Mosconi Cup, then we can dial it back.
Comparing cutting down a $5 basketball rim net to celebrating on top of a $10,000 pool table is laughable.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Comparing cutting down a $5 basketball rim net to celebrating on top of a $10,000 pool table is laughable.

The portable basketball unit is more than that, its more like comparing the cloth to the net, which IS a good analogy.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

so now there is a monetary value on what can be celebrated with in order for it to be acceptable?

Different games, different traditions, different values.
As Emily Frazier said in regards to the Mosconi ball set complaints....”deal with it or be left in the past, it’s here to stay”.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so now there is a monetary value on what can be celebrated with in order for it to be acceptable?

Different games, different traditions, different values.
As Emily Frazier said in regards to the Mosconi ball set complaints....”deal with it or be left in the past, it’s here to stay”.

Halls close because people like this own them.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 88

Weasel THIS

Kim Davenport

Been lurking for a while now. First post. I'm pretty much in awe of the talent/knowledge you guys/gals have here on this forum.

Tony_in_MD posted a link to a youtube video of Kim D. jumping up on a pool table and it reminded me of a night in the past. Hope someone here can shed some light on a lingering question I've had for years.

1991-1992, can't remember exactly, but I was working as an oilfield engineer in the CA oil/gas fields near Modesto and Fresno. I carried my Viking pool cue with me and passed the time I had away from the drilling rigs in the bars and pool halls of the surrounding towns. One night, (probably a week nite, don't know) I found myself in a pool hall and there were only two people there. One guy shooting by himself and another behind the bar. Walls were covered in BIG posters of pool idols & icons.....Mosconi, Fats, Crane, even Paul Newman & Jackie Gleason.

Ordered a beer and Mr. poolshooter comes over asks if I would like to play a run to 7 for $100.
Folks, THEN I was better than some, but worse than MOST but I wouldn't play my kid sister for $100 if she gave the 7! I grew up poor as church mice and worked really hard for my dollars! I learned never to take another man's bet as he probably wasn't making it if he didn't think he would win.

Anyway, this guy was nicely/expensively dressed, high dollar hair cut, and a ring on his finger made to look like a little pool table. It had a diamond in each pocket, 9 diamonds racked up for 9-ball and another diamond for the cue. Between the diamonds/balls on the table was a solid gold cue stick. This thing hadda cost more than I made in a year in the oilfield!

I said something along the lines of "Mister, I was born at night but not last night. I'm sorry, but I can't play you for $100 but I'd play Willie Mosconi for $20 just to watch him play". So we did. I broke, didn't make anything. He ran 7 racks. It was beautiful. It wasn't till later, after he left, that I saw a picture of a guy on the wall that looked JUST like him, I thought. That pic said "Kim Davenport- World Nine Ball Champion". I think it was indeed, Mr. Davenport.

Can anyone corroborate having seen him w/ a ring like that? I'm sure he wouldn't remember some oilfield dude in dirty blue jeans from 18-19 years ago, but I sure remember that night. I like to think (and have told my kids/grandkids) that I ONCE played a world champion pool player!

Sorry for the long post. Nostalgia strikes again!
Anyway, sorry for the long post.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Been lurking for a while now. First post. I'm pretty much in awe of the talent/knowledge you guys/gals have here on this forum.

Tony_in_MD posted a link to a youtube video of Kim D. jumping up on a pool table and it reminded me of a night in the past. Hope someone here can shed some light on a lingering question I've had for years.

1991-1992, can't remember exactly, but I was working as an oilfield engineer in the CA oil/gas fields near Modesto and Fresno. I carried my Viking pool cue with me and passed the time I had away from the drilling rigs in the bars and pool halls of the surrounding towns. One night, (probably a week nite, don't know) I found myself in a pool hall and there were only two people there. One guy shooting by himself and another behind the bar. Walls were covered in BIG posters of pool idols & icons.....Mosconi, Fats, Crane, even Paul Newman & Jackie Gleason.

Ordered a beer and Mr. poolshooter comes over asks if I would like to play a run to 7 for $100.
Folks, THEN I was better than some, but worse than MOST but I wouldn't play my kid sister for $100 if she gave the 7! I grew up poor as church mice and worked really hard for my dollars! I learned never to take another man's bet as he probably wasn't making it if he didn't think he would win.

Anyway, this guy was nicely/expensively dressed, high dollar hair cut, and a ring on his finger made to look like a little pool table. It had a diamond in each pocket, 9 diamonds racked up for 9-ball and another diamond for the cue. Between the diamonds/balls on the table was a solid gold cue stick. This thing hadda cost more than I made in a year in the oilfield!

I said something along the lines of "Mister, I was born at night but not last night. I'm sorry, but I can't play you for $100 but I'd play Willie Mosconi for $20 just to watch him play". So we did. I broke, didn't make anything. He ran 7 racks. It was beautiful. It wasn't till later, after he left, that I saw a picture of a guy on the wall that looked JUST like him, I thought. That pic said "Kim Davenport- World Nine Ball Champion". I think it was indeed, Mr. Davenport.

Can anyone corroborate having seen him w/ a ring like that? I'm sure he wouldn't remember some oilfield dude in dirty blue jeans from 18-19 years ago, but I sure remember that night. I like to think (and have told my kids/grandkids) that I ONCE played a world champion pool player!

I am sorry, I can't directly confirm, but I could have SWORN I recently read a story where someone mentioned some nice jewelry worn by Kim Davenport. Your description rings a dim bell... Maybe try searching for "jewelry" in the main forum, and you might find it?

Good luck...

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great first post! You know how to paint a picture. Did the ring look something like this?
billiardtablegoldring-1.jpg

Weasel THIS

Dan, I'm gettin so I can't remember what I had for bfst., but that sure looks like what I remember it being. Thanks! Where did you get this?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan, I'm gettin so I can't remember what I had for bfst., but that sure looks like what I remember it being. Thanks! Where did you get this?

I'm that guy who was wearing the ring!

OK, just kidding. :eek:

Just google "pool table jewelry" and click on image search. There are several kinds, including a neat one with rubies.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious who started the tradition of jumping on top of a pool table to celebrate major wins? Was it Jason Shaw a few years ago at the U.S. Open 9-ball Championships or had it been done previously?

Yes, I know a quality commercial table can handle the weight of someone on it and even the weight of 7 adult males jumping up and down on it as we just saw with the American team during their Mosconi cup celebration. However, as a room owner, there is something about it that bothers me - kind of disrespecting the sacred ground/surface of the pool table that you have just won your title on. Not to mention that accidentally coming down with your foot and the entire weight of your body on the cushion rubber which could’ve easily happened and could very likely break the cushion rubber loose from the sub rail, or worse.

I just don’t think it’s a very good example / look to set for someone watching who might think they could get away with doing this when winning a tournament in another environment, such as at a pool hall, where it clearly would not be an acceptable thing to do.

I realize that most here will likely criticize my thoughts on this, but is there anyone out there who agrees with me?

I agree with you 100% - I cringed when I watched it happening.

- Ghost