What % of players can run 100+ in straight pool

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy who taught me to play would often run a 100+, I never thought that was spectacular as a kid, though I don't see many people running it these days, myself included.

Based on your experiences, what percentage of players do you think can break 100 with some regularity?
(5% 10%, more?)

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy who taught me to play would often run a 100+, I never thought that was spectacular as a kid, though I don't see many people running it these days, myself included.

Based on your experiences, what percentage of players do you think can break 100 with some regularity?
(5% 10%, more?)

including pros and bangers alike? less than 1%- significantly less, I think.

my experience is limited, but running 100 balls is obviously no mean feat.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
less than >.01 %

very very few
Less than 1/100th of 1% (1 in 10,000)? If 1 out of every 100 people play pool (75 million out of 7.5 billion), .01% is 7,500. Sounds reasonable to me (maybe a little low?).

I agree it's very very few.

pj
chgo

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I suspect that most players can't even run 100 balls in a row without missing putting 15 on the table at a time with nothing tied up. Much less 14.1 format. Probably less than 2% of all pool players can run 100+ in straight pool. If you limited it just to 700+ fargo, I suspect you might get closer to 80% or 90%.

-td

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
My father (who ran over 100 a couple of times) always told me that you can't call yourself a straight pool player until you run 100...before say 1970, 100 ball runners were a lot more common than today...that said, since so few play the game anymore, I'd say less than .5% (half a percent) could. It takes a lot of stamina and practice at the game to get there...lots have the ability, but only a handful have the experience and finesse to run that far.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Of those who play primarily on 9 foot tables, I'd say about 1 in a 100 could do it if they focused on 14.1. Given that most of these players play 8-ball and 9-ball, I think it's more like 1 in a 1000.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Of those who play primarily on 9 foot tables, I'd say about 1 in a 100 could do it if they focused on 14.1. Given that most of these players play 8-ball and 9-ball, I think it's more like 1 in a 1000.
Sounds high to me, depending on who you consider "pool players". How frequently does a pool player play?

pj
chgo

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think of all the players you have ever know and then how many ever ran a 100. Less than 1% ?

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you put up a poll, my guess is that 67% of AZers have run 100 multiple times. :)

Reactions: CGM

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I grew up feeding quarters to a Valley table in a bowling alley playing 8 ball and it hasn't occurred to me to try. If somebody made the 8 early we racked what was left and played some made up game. It was about getting your 25 cents worth. I'm guessing given a few weeks I could run 11 or 12. I am just a casual player.

I think there's a big difference between what a person ran on the normal course of playing a time or two each week and what they might do if they dropped everything and set out to set a personal high.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

(5% 10%, more?)
First you have to define "players" which you have failed to do here, as well as defining what "with some regularity" means? I assume you mean regular pool playing amateurs who have played at least 5+ years and play/practice 14.1 at least twice a week. If that's the criteria, I'd say about 1 out of 10,000. The better question would be how many current active pro pool players of any discipline, worldwide, can run 100+ with regularity. Even that I'm guessing would likely be no more than 15% - 20%

Last edited:

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know only a handful of players (pros excluded) that regularly play straight pool. And of those people maybe 1 has run 100+. I know there are areas where 14.1 is more popular, but even considering that I'd say substantially less than 1% of all pool players have run 100

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

(5% 10%, more?)
The vast majority of pool players play below an APA level 5. The majority has probably never run out a whole rack of anything.

I think there may be 1000 pool players who if they played 14.1 regularly they could run 100 once a month, but they mostly don't play 14.1. Maybe 100 currently run 100 once a month. There are about 100 million pool players in the world. One in a million is 0.0001% unless I dropped a decimal point.

I think that if someone runs 100 regularly, their high run will be over 200. There is a list in the 14.1 forum of known 200-ball runners. That list is 129 names long. Maybe a bunch of Asian players should be added, but I doubt it will go past 200 people.

Last edited:

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
(5% 10%, more?)

I think a better question is how many people have run 100? I've know a few whose high run was over 100, and many more who were good players but never made 100. I kinda think of 100 ball runners like scratch golfers, I know they are out there but they are hard to find.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Current players who have run 100: very few.

Current players who run 100 regularly: even fewer.

Lou Figueroa