Darren Appleton announces his bid to make Team Europe for 2020

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone else catch this?
At 12:55 in the video....

https://youtu.be/i0IHj25AI_E

Darren announces that he is back playing full time and going to make a run at getting back on the European Team for next year’s Mosconi Cup (projected to have 3-4 thousand in attendance by Barry Hearn).

Another little tidbit, Darren addresses possible Captaincy if Marcus decides to step down.

Team USA better work hard because Europe will retool and be a completely different team next year in England.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone else catch this?
At 12:55 in the video....

https://youtu.be/i0IHj25AI_E

Darren announces that he is back playing full time and going to make a run at getting back on the European Team for next year’s Mosconi Cup (projected to have 3-4 thousand in attendance by Barry Hearn).

Another little tidbit, Darren addresses possible Captaincy if Marcus decides to step down.

Team USA better work hard because Europe will retool and be a completely different team next year in England.

Darren is one of my favorite players but he would need a huge year to be in consideration given the crop of young players in Europe.

I think he would be an asset to Europe as Captain.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, Darren marries an American gal and they have lived in Pennsylvania for over a decade. Now he wants to make the Euro team? Sounds like a double dealing two-way spy .. I'm calling Trump.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
IDK if Darren still has it, or if he can get it back if he doesn't. Sometimes coming back is harder than one would think.

Really, Europe has plenty of talent, this years team was pretty much an anomaly. Filler was the only one who really held up, most of the others dogged their brains out. Substitute one of them, any one besides Filler, with Albin and the Cup may have gone a different way. You need a special kind of player for the Cup, and Eurotour performance may not be a good predictor of Mosconi cup performance. That is true either way, btw. Someone who may not do well on Eurotour may shine in the Mosconi cup, too.

I'd be more excited if Boyes made a comeback, or if they let Melling in. Should be some good possible wildcards from Poland too. Kazakis and Kaci should take a year off, IMO. And Niels needs more time to get back to his former self.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
At the International in Norfolk....Darren was being called Resurrection Daz....
...he was showing his old form.
And he is captain material.

But I’d rather see him play for the country he’s living in...this goes for a few others also.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It'll be tough for him to have enough points living in the US or get picked as a wildcard.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It would be one hell of a comeback story. Wishing him luck.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be one hell of a comeback story. Wishing him luck.

If he was American I'd see zero problem with him making our team , but the way the Euro team is picked it will be hard sledding, I think they have been handcuffed , Fedor Gorst sits at home with a Fargo rating higher than any American player not named Shane 809

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
So, Darren marries an American gal and they have lived in Pennsylvania for over a decade. Now he wants to make the Euro team? Sounds like a double dealing two-way spy .. I'm calling Trump.

They are divorced a while back and he lives in England again. Shaw lives here in the states.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are divorced a while back and he lives in England again. Shaw lives here in the states.

Sorry to hear that. They were together for quite a while. Wonder how much the divorce had to do with Daz moving on from pool. Thanks for the update.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He threw his hat into the ring for the Coaching Job just a few days ago also.

PS- If i lost that wife, I'd be devastated also.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't aware he had stopped playing full time. I remember when he posted on this website until the usual suspects ran him off.

I don't doubt he will make the team if he focuses on it.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wasn't aware he had stopped playing full time. I remember when he posted on this website until the usual suspects ran him off.

I don't doubt he will make the team if he focuses on it.

One of the most entertaining threads was when Karl Boyes started woofing it up before the Mosconi Cup, getting AZ riled up playing the bad cop and Darren was backing him up with the good cop routine. That was a lot of fun to be part of. I wish Darren would visit here more often.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good to see, that Darren wants to come back, but to be honest,I doubt, that he can do it.

He had some good performances in English 8ball matches, but I saw him at the Eurotour in Klagenfurt this year and atm he is far from his old form and far from the top Europeans. There are 10 to 15 players, who have realistic chances to be on a MC team and the competition is brutal.

As a side note: I always thought, that we will not see Darren, but Nils as European captain one day.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Darren was more ripped up by the death of his mother this year than his divorce, which I want to say happened in 2017. And yes, he's been back in England for about a year now.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren is one of my favorite players but he would need a huge year to be in consideration given the crop of young players in Europe.

I think he would be an asset to Europe as Captain.

I think All Euro player who reside in the states should not be allowed. If they make their living here, then this is where they should be supporting imo...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think All Euro player who reside in the states should not be allowed. If they make their living here, then this is where they should be supporting imo...

A European assigned to the American team could be Europe's best player.

Hmmmmmmm...