Looking for a new shaft

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the title says I'm looking a new shaft but I'm not interested in getting one of the "high performance", "low deflection", "all you'll ever need again" shafts. Just a hard maple will do but I'm looking for something of good value. I've heard good things about old growth maple and others like it. I'm looking for a 3/8x10 pin size and preferably with a tip that is less than 13, something closer to 11.5
Can anyone direct me to a cue maker that I won't be disappointed with?
And I'm looking for just a shaft, not a full cue

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
As the title says I'm looking a new shaft but I'm not interested in getting one of the "high performance", "low deflection", "all you'll ever need again" shafts.

preferably with a tip that is less than 13, something closer to 11.5

I hate to tell you but a hard maple 11.5mm shaft would be pretty low deflection.

Try Scott Sherbine.

Plagueis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to tell you but a hard maple 11.5mm shaft would be pretty low deflection.

Try Scott Sherbine.

Well it's not that I'm looking for something that isn't low deflection but I don't want any of the production "insert buzz word here" shafts

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally subjective question. No one can tell you honestly what the best shaft for your taste would be.

Best of luck,:boring2:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the title says I'm looking a new shaft but I'm not interested in getting one of the "high performance", "low deflection", "all you'll ever need again" shafts. Just a hard maple will do but I'm looking for something of good value. I've heard good things about old growth maple and others like it. I'm looking for a 3/8x10 pin size and preferably with a tip that is less than 13, something closer to 11.5
You need a more exact measure. That is a big range from 13 to 11.5 mm. Find one you like and measure it so you are sure what you really want.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it's not that I'm looking for something that isn't low deflection but I don't want any of the production "insert buzz word here" shafts

Plagueis:

You seem to be against any kind of "LD" shaft tech, but just as the Mace went the way of the DoDo bird.....so will the Maple shaft over time IMO. Once you put a few honest non-judgemental hours into the "tech" shafts.....you will see, as I did not too long ago....that they are WAY better then their pure Maple ancestors.

Sorry man!, but just like I did not too long ago....you are on a journey of discovery to the best shaft you can get for YOUR game. I entered the LD world kicking and screaming.....then I realized by making a simple LD equipment change my game made a HUGE leap forward in accuracy...especially on the "inside" of the cueball!

Disclaimer...
I am NOT involved in any LD shaft company in any way beyond giving OB shafts my nod as the "go to" in my book as the finest built piece of kit in my case.

have fun man!,

Gerry

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plagueis:

You seem to be against any kind of "LD" shaft tech, but just as the Mace went the way of the DoDo bird.....so will the Maple shaft over time IMO. Once you put a few honest non-judgemental hours into the "tech" shafts.....you will see, as I did not too long ago....that they are WAY better then their pure Maple ancestors.

Sorry man!, but just like I did not too long ago....you are on a journey of discovery to the best shaft you can get for YOUR game. I entered the LD world kicking and screaming.....then I realized by making a simple LD equipment change my game made a HUGE leap forward in accuracy...especially on the "inside" of the cueball!

Disclaimer...
I am NOT involved in any LD shaft company in any way beyond giving OB shafts my nod as the "go to" in my book as the finest built piece of kit in my case.

have fun man!,

Gerry
Since he is getting a new shaft made anyway, there will not be that much additional cost for an LD shaft. His post sounds like he has nothing against LD shafts other then he feels he would be buying into hype.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Ryan at Muellers is your guy. He can make you a great playing shaft for a more than fair price.

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
There is no hype with LD shafts.

There is high deflection and low deflection, just like you can have a 16 oz cue or a 22 oz cue.

Some like one and some like the other.

Again, in response to your original question my vote is Scott Sherbine although I am sure Ryan at Muellers would do excellent work as well.

Last edited: