Arvorin Rod for Sale - Ivory substitute.

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
Sorry, but to some of us on the bottom of the totem pole, money IS a big concern...spending money on a defective product is NOT in my best interest.... I, and a lot of others here cannot afford to buy a product that turns out to be crap just because it's $2 cheaper...we should not be the beta testers....
Dave
Damn Skippy

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Sorry, but to some of us on the bottom of the totem pole, money IS a big concern...spending money on a defective product is NOT in my best interest.... I, and a lot of others here cannot afford to buy a product that turns out to be crap just because it's $2 cheaper...we should not be the beta testers....
Dave

My comment was meant to be facetious.

Last edited:

metalware10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your guys comments & suggestions whatever it is about.

for this new material, I can't ask everybody to try it before selling to public market, but I tried my best to do the investigation & post what I found there. Unfortunately, there have invisible bug, I apologize to make unsatisfactory...

1. abt pitted issue, very few will happen in the rod end butt I checked with supplier. IF this material have future, will cut the butt & then polish few off to check if pitted or not as below photo before delivery.

2. abt flexible or hard, it's subjective feeling / issue. someone like this, someone like that, it's the only thing that I can't make sure everybody likes.

as I explained in the post begining, "if interested, give this a try", I don't expect to ask venture with me together, but little tolerance for new stuff will be big support.

in a public forum, mistakes are the topic, I saw the power. I don't have any excuse but to get well prepared, that's maybe the only way to earn reputation.

Tks, Perry

Last edited:

venison-slayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
arvorin

I bought the joint and butt material the figure on the butt goes all the way around far as the joint not as good figure goes about 3/4 as I install a joint on a cue and turned it down hopping the figure would show but it does not. his pics show it does go all the way around. You need to be a little more picky on what you send your customers.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the joint and butt material the figure on the butt goes all the way around far as the joint not as good figure goes about 3/4 as I install a joint on a cue and turned it down hopping the figure would show but it does not. his pics show it does go all the way around. You need to be a little more picky on what you send your customers.

Like any composite material it's virtually impossible to know what's inside an oversize piece before it's cut down. The ONLY way to insure consistent results and reliable quality it to perfect the manufacturing process, since there is no easy way (x-ray, perhaps?) to quality check the finished material internally - and "perfecting the process" is a very rare step for manufacturing countries that specialize in cheap exported products.

Having been in this business for several decades, I can remember expensive "white" composite material that turned dark yellow after a few years, an entire run of black linen phenolic tube that got over cooked and would virtually "crumble" when machined, laminated tips that de-laminated during hand shaping. etc. Only time will tell whether any product is reliable enough to justify it's cost. The yield on an elephant tusk is far less than 100%, so why should some Chinese-made fake ivory be any different?

TW

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With sharp tools , I had no problem , stuff cut beautifully , no chipping , as good as any other material I have used , I am ordering more .

This pen was done with hand tools . Center bored out on lathe , Brass tube installed in center , ends squared off in lathe , then transphered to wood lathe for contours.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's absolutely amazing what can happen when someone who knows what they're doing works with various materials.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Arvorin

I made a golf tee for a friend out of arvorin, he had his golfing buddies believing he had a elephant ivory tusk carved golf tee...
He said he used the tee on the last hole- in which is where they bet the most money-and hit the ball futher than ever before...<~ a total fluke but I'll buy it that the tee was the reason for the huge shot but worth conversation'

Rob.M

DA\/E

No problems turning, cutting, drilling, boring or tapping here either.

Suspect chipping issues may be due to using dull tools, or trying to remove too much stock too quickly.

Image attached is off the tool, no sanding or finish.

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Has anyone received the smaller 15MM rods? I am curious how they arrived and if anyone has worked with them.

DA\/E

I got some of all sizes.

Joint size drilled and bored nicely. (OD hasn't been machined, in the pict ....that's the way it came).

Ferrule size drilled and tapped nicely.

Yet to finish a cue using the material. Am currently building two cues which will use the material as a testing ground.

metalware10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
arvorin

Thanks Brent,
Thanks Jim,
Thanks Dave,

for sharing the photo and information.

1. abt the pitted issue, we've tested the returned ferrule rod from Alex. firstly, we think it may have bubble in material, so cut rod in random in different section, not found bubble. 2nd step, we cut off rod diameter slowly to see if have pits in specific diameter, not found either.

but we found this material heat generated quicker than most materials, and may cause some expansion distortion. it maybe the problem of the pits? but it can correct with few passes on lathe & be compensated by less sanding less material removal/friction. coz' from the feedback I received from buyers, I think the pits is very rare in this material. it maybe this reason, or dull cutting tool etc. if any buyer found this issue, let me know.

2. I work out Arvorin II, more density, but less grain. e.g. ferrule size rod 12" long, arvorin I is 72 gram, arvorin II is 97 gram. it's harder than previous version. hope it's another solution for different application. I've sent testing samples to several CMs, and will post what we found there.

below's the photo ( the light & color is little difference than real one, just for reference)

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,142
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,060

klatsch1971

Registered
Hallo
I have intress on your rods in all diameters
i need 3x 15mm, 3x 25mm,3x 35mm

is this in sock
Reards from Germany

Frankly speaking, this material is new to me. before selling it, I sent an OD 25mm, 30cm length rod to a friend on AZB, ask to cut & spread to few cue makers to test it. Thanks Rob.

tested with drilling, cutting, tapping, sanding, all good performance and tested epoxy to wood, 5 min mix & 30 min mix, good performance as well. it's beautiful grain within, the grain is not Symmetric or consistant, it's like natural. below have photos after buff ( not test polish it, but think it will be nice)

due to this material not being cheap to one, I would like to take presell order if anybody here wanna give this a try.

length: 30cm
OD 15mm $13
OD 25mm $22
OD 38mm $40
free shipping

delivery will arrange during Sep 5 - 10.

just ask tried what a CM will do in normal handling, but don't know what it will react when play with it on a cue.

pm or send me your paypal account if you wanna take some, will send invoice in the earlier of Sep.

Tks, Perry
PM box is full, kindly send email if any question.
email: [COLOR="Purple"]metalware10@hotmail.com[/COLOR]

Edit, update on Aug 30

the rods arrived today, fast than schedule. still have few to sell, contact me if you wanna try it. update photos see below

OD15mm 30-33cm 72g
OD25mm 30-33cm 190g
OD38mm 30-33cm 425g

*** the invoices will send today to whom booked the material in last couple of days. pls send me your address along with telephone no. so I can put on tracking sheet.

*** delivery will arrange during Sep 2 - 4, delivery time: 7-15 days via USPS.economy express.

edit on Sep 4.
selling ends, thanks.