Fixing American Pool by forming the NBL (National Billiards League) & PBA Tour!!!

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s not up to me to support a bar or pool hall, it’s up to the establishment to cater to my needs. I’m the customer. What product or service is being offered to ‘me’ to have me part with my money?

I don’t drink and have never eaten greasy bar food. It’s the same with many of our league members. Many of our members are quite well off and not skinflints. A pool hall is a business and the owner needs to be creative. Alcohol and unhealthy food just won’t make me or many others part with their money.

OMG, thank you! I am a former room owner. I am getting older and I was thinking about opening up a smaller room. Been looking at locations and was lining up some equipment. But you sir, with those comments send a bolt of lightening through me. What the hell was I thinking! I remember now what I hated about my old room. Couldn't stand people with the entitled attitude. See when you own a small business you want to see your customers happy. A pool room, at least mine, was a personal thing. It was like you were entering my living room. I would treat my customers with respect and would expect the same from them. That means buying my water if it is $.25 more expensive than the variety store. If I charge that it is not out of greed, but so I can pay the bills. Maybe even have a little for me at the end of the day. On the other hand I will run leagues, hold tournaments, change the cloth, keep the balls clean, do charity events, have junior lessons etc to make things more enjoyable for you.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
..ha :), our gals all charming for sure have on their shirts "I'm here to serve you, not to kiss* your ass".

*the kiss part is improvised with a big red set of lips.

Gotta be a hospitality association meme.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for the fans, the owners & ????

NASCAR, NHRA, PGA, LPGA, NFL, PRCA are all Pro Sports & they all have FANS The fans support the Sport. One question... Who are the fans that are gonna support your NBL... are the players, the fans that are gonna support the NBL? I want to understand who the fans are & how they add to the equation. THNX

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NASCAR, NHRA, PGA, LPGA, NFL, PRCA are all Pro Sports & they all have FANS The fans support the Sport. One question... Who are the fans that are gonna support your PBL... are the players, the fans that are gonna support the PBL? I want to understand who the fans are & how they add to the equation. THNX

I assumed it was the amateurs trying to qualify for professional events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NASCAR, NHRA, PGA, LPGA, NFL, PRCA are all Pro Sports & they all have FANS The fans support the Sport. One question... Who are the fans that are gonna support your PBL... are the players, the fans that are gonna support the PBL? I want to understand who the fans are & how they add to the equation. THNX

Recreational players give money to pros

Not exactly sure why I or anyone I play with would do this. Or do we pay to watch...yawn...nine ball...yawn.

I suppose I could watch someone fish but I’d rather fish myself. Or pay to watch them play slow pitch but, again, rather play myself.

American pool is a great game. It’s no less great because it lacks spectator appeal. It’s almost amusing how there is some inmate need to turn it into the ‘Big Time’.’

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not reading 10 pages to see if this was mentioned, but get kids involved. Include high school athletic programs.

In the first page I seen mention of findung a venue to do this. I'm probably 25 years too late for this idea, but I was thinking shopping malls. The malls in my area would do all kinds of things to try to make money. Cars shows, boat shows, etc. I can remember thinking what it would be like to see pool tables lined up between the store fronts.

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Recreational players give money to pros

Not exactly sure why I or anyone I play with would do this. Or do we pay to watch...yawn...nine ball...yawn.

I suppose I could watch someone fish but I’d rather fish myself. Or pay to watch them play slow pitch but, again, rather play myself.

American pool is a great game. It’s no less great because it lacks spectator appeal. It’s almost amusing how there is some inmate need to turn it into the ‘Big Time’ Read OR listen. Either way..’

No. Wrong. Stop speculating. The game is not even 9-ball. :rolleyes:

The formula of 32 qualifiers run twice all across the country times 32 players attempting to get to stage 2 (Quarterly Main event) SELF GENERATES the funds INDEPENDENT of sponsorship or added money. It ALSO FULLY SPONSORS 64 PLAYERS into the main event WITH cash in hand for food expenses.

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
Not reading 10 pages to see if this was mentioned, but get kids involved. Include high school athletic programs.

In the first page I seen mention of findung a venue to do this. I'm probably 25 years too late for this idea, but I was thinking shopping malls. The malls in my area would do all kinds of things to try to make money. Cars shows, boat shows, etc. I can remember thinking what it would be like to see pool tables lined up between the store fronts.

YUP! Juniors included.

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
I assumed it was the amateurs trying to qualify for professional events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good amateurs that normally compete in regional tours will compete in 32 Stage 1 qualifiers all across America and the top 25% of each fiel win cash that day. The winner of each gets 1) a $1,000.00 slot in the main event 2) paid travel 3)paid hotel 4)tour card for 2021 5) 2 official personalized NBL uniform jerseys to wear at competition PLUS cash in han

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member

Actually 4 of the 32 pool rooms (one in each region of the country) will host each main event and travel each year to a different 4.

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member

It's FREE for the fans at the 64 qualifiers and later on the 4 main events.

My question is.. what is the PBL??? I'm organizing the NBL. :thumbup:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you lean over to one of your
confadon's and whisper over the music 'I hope there's some top on that!'.

It's funny and that is missing from pool.

The "SERIOUS" approach to pool is old (3 gens old), not working and has driven pool into the ground.

I love the game, but here is what pool is right now to spectators....

1. Not entertaining to watch played.
2. Not entertaining to watch players communicate.
3. Not entertaining to listen to commentary.

But first you have to beat these stigmatas to even start on those!!!

1. Tough guy, I'm a big tough guy hustler!
2. Not paying up, take a knife!
3. Drunk, not yet you aren't!

FACT!!!! You need dutch doubles with Paris Hilton and Robin Williams to even begin to turn pool around.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's FREE for the fans at the 64 qualifiers and later on the 4 main events.

My question is.. what is the PBL??? I'm organizing the NBL. :thumbup:

I made an error, but that's not grounds for a lawsuit... I changed my post to read NBL

Sandman

Sandcastle Room Owner
Silver Member
I made an error, but that's not grounds for a lawsuit... I changed my post to read NBL

Just being silly and joking with ya.:thumbup: All good in the neighborhood. Mr. Roger's neighborhood even!

Anyone watch the Tom Hanks Mr. Rodgers movie? Good movie.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Just being silly and joking with ya.:thumbup: All good in the neighborhood. Mr. Roger's neighborhood even!

Anyone watch the Tom Hanks Mr. Rodgers movie? Good movie.

I like your style and enthusiasm, Ed. :thumbup:

Miss swinging by your room. Would love to come by to say hello post covid.

Stay safe.

best,
brian kc

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The "SERIOUS" approach to pool is old (3 gens old), not working and has driven pool into the ground.

I love the game, but here is what pool is right now to spectators....

1. Not entertaining to watch played.
2. Not entertaining to watch players communicate.
3. Not entertaining to listen to commentary.

FACT!!!! You need dutch doubles with Paris Hilton and Robin Williams to even begin to turn pool around.

:) that would be quiet the turn over for pool with a Paris Hilton and Robin Williams
match up, it's a bummer that, that just isn't going to happen.

This gig "billiards" today is about time, how it's used and viewed.

Had a race 2 nights ago with 3, took an hour and 10 minutes
sponsored by the community chest.
there was a grandmaster contending, 2 lead changes with a final 66, 55, 75 out of a
possible 300 with a 1, 2 and a 4 yellow ball score.

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What was there to be driven into the ground the last decade or so? Your mindset is the problem that is holding back anyone from looking at pool as something else besides what you've outlined.

Maybe you play in dingy dive bars where a lot of the stuff you mentioned goes down, but everywhere that I've played in my neck of the woods is a friendly environment and even if we know hustling is going on, they go about their business so quiet you would not ever think anything is going down.

How about you let go of that old mentality and be optimistic about someone as professional as sandman is doing something bigger for the game we love? Is that too much to ask or are you content living with the problems pool has that you mentioned?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A possible way to start for the audience's benefit

Maybe a singles match, between two 4 speeds, in a race to 5, for a $1000.00 purse, would lighten the mood & give a real eye-opener to the audience, on the skill required to play Good Pool. The two players are a public arena trying to overcome choking & bad play, just for the audience's pleasure. That might be a HOWL...

Most people in the sweater's arena may not know that Pool is Difficult, but when played properly, it's a joy to watch.