is this a gold crown 1 table?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not a GC table- However! if there is an old table there- like this- worth going to ask if there are any cue sticks etc. not pictured- sometimes you end up with an old Willie Hoppe cue or even better! I have been very successful at that in the past. I am an old picker/hunter for the past 30 years and this looks like an estate sale of someone probably in their 80s or older who passed away. I can tell by the age of much of what is left there. some items of note to check out if you go:
Photo 4: See if that old ceiling light fixture/chandelier is solid brass- not plated, could have high scrap value compared to their asking price- also the shades look possibly hand hammered- look for identifying marks of a maker- may be a sleeper.

Photo 5- where the lamp is sitting could be a wood teacart underneath- check out the wood on it- may have high resale value- depending

Photo 8- Dutch woman cookie jar- unusual and fairly good resale value

Photo 15- stuff is old in this place- check out that baseball bat on the floor- look for an old signature model - Ruth, DiMaggios, gehrig etc.- you are in NY there.

Photo 18- Portable sewing machines with case are not too common-also check out the watch- see if it is a manual winder- look for names like Gruen, Hamilton, etc. from the 30s thru the 60s

Check out the locking file cabinet with dial lock combo safe - not common - probably 1940s to 50s - if they have the keys and the safe combination code- easy to resell at a good price.

The books can be examined for first edition rare titles, etc. -

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rail tops and aprons look a whole lot like a Goldcrown 1, but the lightweight flimsy leg pedestals are clearly not from a Goldcrown 1 - possibly a far cheaper model made to look like a gold crown. Also, gold crown’s have chrome plated corner pieces and much more rounded rail top corners, whereas this table‘s corners come nearly to 90°.

Last edited:

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rail tops and aprons look a whole lot like a Goldcrown 1, but the lightweight flimsy leg pedestals are clearly not from a Goldcrown 1 - possibly a far cheaper model made to look like a gold crown. Also, gold crown’s have chrome plated corner pieces and much more rounded rail top corners, whereas this table‘s corners come nearly to 90°.

I think it's one of these or a similar model.
https://images.app.goo.gl/TDiwMSYkntq7cLxeA

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you guys see the plastic covered couches? Most Greeks and Italians in the US did that through the 1980's. It was horrible!

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is one nasty looking place.

A bit hard to tell for sure but I believe that is a Brunswick Brentwood. My parents bought one of those for me circa 1963. (Thanks Rudi and Edith.) It had some sort of honeycomb bed not anything like slate but it actually played pretty well for a cheap table. It probably has a resale value somewhere around zero.