What were the 9 ball rules for the pro tours in the 80s and 90s?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering about this the day other because I was reading yet another thread about rule changes for the pro level players.

I do remember one event in which the miz and varner were on commentary and they mentioned that a break box was added during said event for the first time on the tour. What other rules were there?

was it winner breaks? certain amount of balls had to pass the line?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it was winner breaks, break from anywhere, 4 numbered balls must hit a rail on break, all balls spot on break fouls and fouls during game.

This is how we played local tournaments in the 90s and what I recall from old accustats matches.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And BIH behind line on break fouls. Although I might be mis remembering this one (from local events).

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was out of pool in the 90's.
During even the 80's, seems i've seen some on youtube that were still played by push-out rule.
Which is how money matches were usually played in the area i grew up.
(Push out rule, and so many games ahead for match-ups)

That would go a long ways to making 9 ball interesting again.

smt

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was wondering about this the day other because I was reading yet another thread about rule changes for the pro level players.

I do remember one event in which the miz and varner were on commentary and they mentioned that a break box was added during said event for the first time on the tour. What other rules were there?

They added the break box during the Don Maggot era. Otherwise it was pretty much the same; one foul, BIH rules we had been playing since the mid 80's. They did play 'scratch on the break and shoot from behind the line' in some tournaments. That rule was gone by the mid 90's though.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The pro tour (PBA/PBTA) had its own rule book. Here is the cover (I think that's Pat Fleming's address) and the first page of the 1988 edition of the rules.

Attachments

• Scan20200824_0003.jpg
    Scan20200824_0003.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Scan20200824_0004.jpg
    Scan20200824_0004.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 141