Mottey vs Bender.....compared to schon

Bassmaster

Gone Fishin
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Ive been trying to decided on which custom cue route that Im going to take soon. Im looking for playability value and resale. My current playing cue is a higher end schon sl 23, which plays well. I've have narrowed it down to a Mottey, or Bender. Price range under 2500.00 I probably will buy a like new,used one cue via,ebay or personal sell. How does their hit compare to each other....vs the schon hit. I like the stiffer hit. of the schon...so Im looking to improve on that. If its going to be real similiar...Id probably just keep the schon. Iv'e seen a lot of pos comments on how the benders play...not much feedback on the motteys?....also it seem to be more motteys floating around for sale than benders? Ivory joint vs ss for either. Thanks.

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
you should buy that Ginacue for 2400 in that other thread.. that cue is absolutey sweet....

i have a mottey.. plays awesome.. i also had a schon before that...
imo , the schon was no comparison.. and i loved my schon.. it was a all ebony cue so the hit was real stiff...

and i believe its night and day between ivory and ss...

chris

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bassmaster said:
Ive been trying to decided on which custom cue route that Im going to take soon. Im looking for playability value and resale. My current playing cue is a higher end schon sl 23, which plays well. I've have narrowed it down to a Mottey, or Bender. Price range under 2500.00 I probably will buy a like new,used one cue via,ebay or personal sell. How does their hit compare to each other....vs the schon hit. I like the stiffer hit. of the schon...so Im looking to improve on that. If its going to be real similiar...Id probably just keep the schon. Iv'e seen a lot of pos comments on how the benders play...not much feedback on the motteys?....also it seem to be more motteys floating around for sale than benders? Ivory joint vs ss for either. Thanks.

if you want resale, forget the schon. i personally like bender more than mottey, and i have heard from MANY cuemakers who consider bender one of THE best machinists around.

as for hit, you can,,,,you SHOULD,,, ask for exactly the taper you want. and if it is possible, you should visit the cuemaker and pick your own shaftwood. there's no reason why you can't get a stiffer taper on a mottey or bender.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 97.9%
140   3   0
cue?

Hay everyone out there go scruggo.His flat faced radialpin cues hit so soft they should be outlawed from tournament play. Nuff said

pooldogue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bassmaster said:

I just sold an older Schon and ive also had both Bender and Mottey cues and as far as im concerned the Bender or Mottey play alot alike but different at the same time and as far as the Schon goes it played well but nothing at all like the other two...... You say the Schon played stiff but when you play with a Mottey or Bender then you might feel the Schon didnt play that "stiff" at all.................Ide say try to play with one at the local hall before you buy...............:cool:

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I agree with the other guy...buy that Ginacue for resell and playing...you can NOT go wrong with that cue...if I had 2400, it would be a done deal.

Shorty

fromthebeginnin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the cues mentioned are excellent products. For me (the operative word, me) the playability and quality of a Paul Mottey Cue is second to none, I own and have owned cues from most of the high end cue makers, as well as the great cuemakers of the past. Some of you know me, I am a huge Paul Mottey fan, Paul has built two cues for me and I am considering a third. One is a ivory loaded one of one collectable (I have posted it here it is played with occasionally 19.4 oz with 13mm shafts) but the other is a high end performance machine 18.4 oz, 12.2 and 12.4 mm shafts (this is the cue I play with daily) both have ivory joints. For me it has the right balance, weight, feel, style (for a little more confidence), while it is always hard to describe the hit, it is very precise, softer than harder (not heavy like a cannon). If I could only have one cue it would be the Mottey I play with today.

It is a tough choice the best advice I can give is to figure out how to play with each one for a while, because you are making a substantial investment.

BTW, Paul Mottey is a gentleman and pleasure to deal with, and while I havent seen him play I heard he's pretty good.

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I still have a Schon and moved up to a Bender as my playing cue. The Schon is a LTD series cue with a SS joint and it played very well. But my Bender, once I got used to the feel of the wood to wood joint provides a bit more feedback and I am really enjoying the way it plays. I have not picked up the Schon since this summer and may never go back.

Now there is another thread about "Opinions on Ginacues" that has some interesting comments but I am unable to add anything else about the Ginacues...Never hit with one. The cue is nice and the package is a good deal as others have commented.

But I would recommend the Mottey or the Bender and I would also like to thrown in John Showman if you like the SS joint and the way it feels. Take a look at my post in this thread and look at the Showman pictures I have included. The Showman I picked up was at almost half the cost of the Ginacue and the points are razor sharp. The Showman cue also came with a Thomas 1x2 case in gator print and had the Showman named engraved in the top cover.

But if you really want a sweet looking and a great hitting cue that will not loose value, you may have to consider a Hercek. There is a sweet deal right now that I would recommend a look at. Look at this 1999 Hoppe Style Hercek at Dick Abbott 's site. A real beauty at a reasonable price and the hit is awesome.

Just my thoughts and have a great day!

dooziexx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Benders and Motteys are totally different. Benders are stiff/hard hitting cues while Motteys are alot softer and whippy. Both are totally different compared to a Schon. The wood 2 wood joint on the Benders gives a good feedback and feel. Another cue maker to throw in the mix here is James White. James is Paul's partner and in my opinion makes a better hitting cue than Mottey. The hit is alot harder.

I do have several benders and Whites on my site for sale, www.erikleecues.com.. Check them out and if you see anything you like or have any questions, email me at erik@erikleecues.com.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Bassmaster said:
Ive been trying to decided on which custom cue route that Im going to take soon. Im looking for playability value and resale. My current playing cue is a higher end schon sl 23, which plays well. I've have narrowed it down to a Mottey, or Bender.

You cant go wrong with either but as another poster says they play very differently. I would suggest hitting with them first.

Also, I sent emails to both Mottey and Bender in December and got back replies but when I went into specifics on the cue I wanted, including weight, length, balance etc I got no replies from either Cuemaker. Even a f/up email generated no reply. I put it down to them being very busy, or not needing my business, but I found this unprofessional.
Good luck with getting your cue.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Mottey or Bender

Bassmaster said:
I've tried a lot of cues in my life and many different joint styles with the different cues. Among the cues i've owned were a number of Schon cues and one nice Bender cue which I no longer own and I currently play with a Paul Mottey cue. I like traditional styled cues and Paul builds one of the best on the market IMO. I'd highly recommend a Mottey cue since i'm so pleased with my cue and I don't have that urge to try another cue like I used to have.

SCCues

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
If you like the hit of a Schon, but want to carry it to the next level, try a Nova or a Mc Daniel. I don't consider a Schon to be a hard hitting cue all. If you want a stiff hit with collectability, Southwest or Bender is the route to go IMHO... Good luck!

Steve

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   1
Hunter said:
If you like the hit of a Schon, but want to carry it to the next level, try a Nova or a Mc Daniel. I don't consider a Schon to be a hard hitting cue all. If you want a stiff hit with collectability, Southwest or Bender is the route to go IMHO... Good luck!

Steve
I know of a Scruggs coco box cue that I hear plays pretty sporty too. :D

Wonder if it's for sale? ;)

Bassmaster

Gone Fishin
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Erik Lees 2005 Bender has caught my eye a couple of times....Its just out my price range now.
I've heard good things about the McDaniel and Nova...but IMO the resale is not quite what Im looking for.
James White is also on my short list....I always considered a White and Mottey identical....mabey I need to check out the Whites more?
The Ginacue? Never considered it.....one poster stated that it would improve your shooting by a ball and a half.....sounds really good.....but I find that hard to believe? Still I'll have research it.
I plan for this cue to be one of my last cue purchases.......I've said that before too. I have about another month before Im ready to purchase...so Im keeping a look out here and ebay etc.. on whats available.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
misterpoole said:
You cant go wrong with either but as another poster says they play very differently. I would suggest hitting with them first.

Also, I sent emails to both Mottey and Bender in December and got back replies but when I went into specifics on the cue I wanted, including weight, length, balance etc I got no replies from either Cuemaker. Even a f/up email generated no reply. I put it down to them being very busy, or not needing my business, but I found this unprofessional.
Good luck with getting your cue.

Can't speak much to Bender's business practices, but IMO Jim and Paul have always been extremely professional, approachable, and reachable. They do usuallly take some time off around the holidays and probably haven't been online. Have you tried calling them? They are both in Louisville right now at the DCC, and it would be no problem to convey the message to them. Want me to have one of them call you back? You can PM me with your name and phone number.

Sean