Pre 90’ Scruggs Sneaky Petes

Yugi

Registered
Who has old pre1990 Scruggs Sneaky Petes out there? Would like to know how far back did he start making them and are there any pictures of some of the older 80’s models out there?

Thanks!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Actually, he didn't make them. In the early days, they were made by Bob Frey. Later, they were made by John Stankowski in Tim's shop (spelling may be wrong).

Tim was too busy with design and dealing with customers to make sneaky petes.

All the best,
WW

Yugi

Registered
I know mike and Tim didn’t actually make them but since it does has the TS logo it is considered “him making it”. So just wondering when his shop started making them and who has some of those older ones around. Anybody want to share pictures?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know mike and Tim didn’t actually make them but since it does has the TS logo it is considered “him making it”. So just wondering when his shop started making them and who has some of those older ones around. Anybody want to share pictures?

I don't have pictures but I ordered and owned a few as early as 1979 or early 1980 right after I bought my first Tim Scruggs cue. It was just Bob Frey and Tim in the shop then.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I’ve had at least 15-20, maybe more and they’ve all been solid players. It may just be personal preference but the true SP style cues with no rings anywhere and the ones with only a white buttcap felt the best to me.

These are some I had years ago...

Attachments

• FE934F60-EBCE-4297-8919-CF0F104922D0.jpeg
    FE934F60-EBCE-4297-8919-CF0F104922D0.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 541
  • 544DEF89-BB55-4358-BB16-151E195B807E.jpeg
    544DEF89-BB55-4358-BB16-151E195B807E.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 550
  • D8344237-C90E-4D8D-A0B5-2386A4AE4E0E.jpeg
    D8344237-C90E-4D8D-A0B5-2386A4AE4E0E.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 544
  • F69B0B26-3E13-4EBF-A01A-F4C38DAB07AB.jpeg
    F69B0B26-3E13-4EBF-A01A-F4C38DAB07AB.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 532
  • B36699DF-22E8-4A09-976F-58FF72F288A8.jpeg
    B36699DF-22E8-4A09-976F-58FF72F288A8.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, he didn't make them. In the early days, they were made by Bob Frey. Later, they were made by John Stankowski in Tim's shop (spelling may be wrong).

All the best,
WW

That is probably nearly 100% true.

It's that "nearly" that is the thing.

How many cue makers have never, not once, made a sneaky pete?

I imagine he might have made one or three even before he left the Joss shop...

Just one afternoon pissing around at the lathe...not much time in a sneaky.

And then perhaps even after he left Joss. Maybe. For himself? A friend? Other?

If someone can prove they have one made by him (nearly impossible I would guess) that would surely boost the value. Heck, it might not even have his logo on it.

It's the dimenstions/specs/taper that made those cues legendary (mostly probably the taper) as players. And those were "his" dimensions/specs/taper.

I would bet (not really wager, just figuratively) he did make one...or maybe two...maybe three...But proving you have one made by his hands would likely prove impossible or nearly impossible.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
It's the dimenstions/specs/taper that made those cues legendary (mostly probably the taper) as players. And those were "his" dimensions/specs/taper

This is a good point. Most TS cues you see coming up for sale have either seen thousands of hours of play or have had the shafts possibly retapered or turned down over the years. I’ve had 2-3 that looked as if they had never been played with, shafts were 12.9-13 ish. Those cues for sure had a different taper than most. The TS conversions are one of the few cues that I have never NOT had a good playing one. People who have had lots of cues from a particular cue maker can attest that not all of them play the same. For instance, I’ve had 12-15 Richard Harris cues over the years. That’s pennies compared to some but in that many cues the best playing one imo was an older sneaky pete. One of those 15 was also the worst playing cue I’ve ever owned. That’s one thing I can not say about the TS cues, they’ve all been consistently great players.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
That is probably nearly 100% true.

It's that "nearly" that is the thing.

How many cue makers have never, not once, made a sneaky pete?

I imagine he might have made one or three even before he left the Joss shop...

Just one afternoon pissing around at the lathe...not much time in a sneaky.

Well actually Doc, you're right. I had Tim make me a sneaky in 1979, one of his early ones, with micarta ferrule. I supplied the blank. I suspect Bob Frey did most of it, but just conjecture.

Here's where it gets a bit weird, depending on your point of view. I gave the cue away years later to a pool room waitress, just turned stripper. She played in a league and needed a cue, just a plain cue. She leaned on me pretty hard.

And people think I don't have a heart.

All the best,
WW

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Yep, heard the same from Mike Cochran. Also, Mike told me that they didn't do repairs or work on the sneakies. He wouldn't take my money, referred me to Mike Morgan.

Years ago, I asked on this forum how do I tell the difference, as I was running into too many sellers misrepresenting. One seller insisted all TS sneakies were made by Bob.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well actually Doc, you're right. I had Tim make me a sneaky in 1979, one of his early ones, with micarta ferrule. I supplied the blank. I suspect Bob Frey did most of it, but just conjecture.

Here's where it gets a bit weird, depending on your point of view. I gave the cue away years later to a pool room waitress, just turned stripper. She played in a league and needed a cue, just a plain cue. She leaned on me pretty hard.

And people think I don't have a heart.

All the best,
WW

Gotta have a heart for strippers. They work hard. :smile:

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does one determine the age of a TS SP? I bought one used in the 90's & have no idea how old it is.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
How does one determine the age of a TS SP? I bought one used in the 90's & have no idea how old it is.

Well, this is not 100%. But, here are my observations over time.

The early ones, late 70s, early 80s usually had delrin buttplates and often a flat face 5/16 X14 joint pin. Sometimes a micarta ferrule. Often no noticeable joint.

Go forward a bit, lets say 90s and beyond, they got very popular. More wood choices, as they weren't just using house cue blanks. Purple heart, for example. The buttplates then were often something other than delrin, an ivory substitute, or a Hoppe type ring with bumper. Often a joint material. Look for these later ones to be a bit thinner in the butt, than the early ones, though you'd have to get the calipers out to really compare. Also, the later ones tended to use piloted joint pins, rather than flat face, and there were some flat faced 3/8 X 10 pins, I believe.

Again, this is not 100%. I'm sure some others would have other observations, as this cue varied quite a bit.

All the best,
WW

Last edited: