Willie Hoppe Titilist Cue ID

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My son found and bought these two Hoppe titilist one piece cues today at an antique store in Cape Cod. Very good condition- asking for age estimation on the cues if anyone knows about these labels. We may sell one and convert one or both- just not sure- acquired about an hour ago! He sent me the photos. Also, anyone know on present market value as one piece cues to a collector or a cue maker? Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0047.JPG
    IMG_0047.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 377

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The darker labeled one looks like a palm wood and the other appears to. be rosewood. They are worth 250.to.300, getting harder to find. The bumpers are the latest type. Cues are from late 60s IMO. The darker label is pretty rare, though they used a wide variety of labels.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Close up of each cues veneers and label would help. Based on what I can see, 1950's cues. The early Titlists, early to mid 1940's, had a large scripted fancy "B" in the logo and green veneer instead of blue. The sequence was purpleheart,green,purpleheart, natural. The 1950's had a smoother, less scripted "B" logo and the turquoise blue veneer we are used to seeing. I believe the darker blue label was late 1950's but I'm just guessing. The color matches the Willie Hoppe professional label from the late 1950's.

When I was buying cues, I was always looking for good, solid straight one piece Titleists and paid $300 - $350 for each as collectibles. for conversions, $200 or so. Finding solid straight cues with good labels was difficult. Don't know what the current market is.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your responses- I probably will not get to NYC where my son lives to see these in person until Dec. due to the virus crisis. i will try to get better photos of the points/veneers. We have always been a pool playing/colecting family and my sons have a good eye for cues. makes me happy to see some young folks who care about this stuff.
He scored them at $115 for the pair- and called me during his negotiation- I knew it was a very good deal- original ask in the antique shop was $350 for the pair- but I guess out in Cape Cod, not many billiard pickers come through the doors - so they must have sat there for a long time. Probably from an estate out there that had a billiard room at one time.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some better photos of the points/veneers- they do have the vibrant color

Attachments

• 616110721.jpg
    616110721.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 616110757.jpg
    616110757.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 326

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice score Mike. I`ve been in antique shops, yard sales, estate sales & pawn shops in Pa & Maryland, even once in SC. I`ve never had any luck what so ever finding anything like you found. Congrats again & best of luck with whatever you decide to do with them.
Jeff

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jeff, it was my son's find- I am just thankful that there will be some young guys like him around to hopefully continue our traditions. We have had so many enjoyable times together finding pool cues and cases over the years- same thing- yard sales, estate sales, pawn shops, thrift and antique shops.
My sons and I have had more than a few great billiard related "finds' over the years- many were sold and some we still have for keeps. Today was a nice one for him- a rainy day in Cape Cod with his girlfriend and just passing the time browsing- YOU NEVER KNOW!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Thanks for your responses- I probably will not get to NYC where my son lives to see these in person until Dec. due to the virus crisis. i will try to get better photos of the points/veneers. We have always been a pool playing/colecting family and my sons have a good eye for cues. makes me happy to see some young folks who care about this stuff.
He scored them at $115 for the pair- and called me during his negotiation- I knew it was a very good deal- original ask in the antique shop was $350 for the pair- but I guess out in Cape Cod, not many billiard pickers come through the doors - so they must have sat there for a long time. Probably from an estate out there that had a billiard room at one time.

That was a steal, great find.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, would cues directly be a good source if we decide to do conversion (s) ? One cue is stamped 17 and one is stamped 18 - so they are on the lighter side.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, would cues directly be a good source if we decide to do conversion (s) ? One cue is stamped 17 and one is stamped 18 - so they are on the lighter side.

Who? I have never heard of this person!

Just kidding, having too much fun.

There are many people out there capable of doing a real nice job on the cues, you may have someone local and that is always nice. I would charge you $300 each plus shipping and that would include a real nice shaft, I could even make them the weight you desired.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who? I have never heard of this person!

Just kidding, having too much fun.

There are many people out there capable of doing a real nice job on the cues, you may have someone local and that is always nice. I would charge you $300 each plus shipping and that would include a real nice shaft, I could even make them the weight you desired.

Thanks! It may be awhile since i probably cannot get to see them until December when I get to see my son again- we will be in touch!