A question for you creative/engineer/inventor types...

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a student whose adult son has CP in his lower arm and bridge hand. It doesn't allow him to make a conventional bridge, or even a fist bridge. He bridges the cue over his wrist, and doesn't have any real way to keep it steady, other than gripping tightly. It is especially difficult when shooting over a ball, which he has to do with a "floating" bridge. I had an idea of making an inch wide elastic strap that would go around his wrist, attached with velcro (so he could make as tight or loose as he wanted), and then attaching a velcro strip across the top part where his wrist is. Then you could make a kind of a bridge "head", with grooves for the cue, out of wood or plastic, and have that mesh with the velcro to create a stable place for his cue. His swing is already pretty good, and straight...and this would give him options, both on positioning the "bridge head", where he was most comfortable shooting, and potentially different bridge heights. Anybody run across a problem like this, or have any ideas to contribute? I know there is player in NJ who is missing a hand, and has some kind of prosthetic bridge that fits on the end of his arm (if anybody can post a link to that thread, I'd appreciate it). My guy has his hand...he just can't use it functionally. Thanks for any ideas! :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have a student whose adult son has CP in his lower arm and bridge hand. It doesn't allow him to make a conventional bridge, or even a fist bridge. He bridges the cue over his wrist, and doesn't have any real way to keep it steady, other than gripping tightly. It is especially difficult when shooting over a ball. I had an idea of making an inch wide elastic strap that would go around his wrist, attached with velcro (so he could make as tight or loose as he wanted), and then attaching a velcro strip across the top part where his wrist is. Then you could make a kind of a bridge "head", with grooves for the cue, out of wood or plastic, and have that mesh with the velcro to create a stable place for his cue. His swing is already pretty good, and straight...and this would give him options, both on positioning the "bridge head", where he was most comfortable shooting. Anybody run across a problem like this, or have any ideas to contribute? I know there is player in NJ who is missing a hand, and has some kind of prosthetic bridge that fits on the end of his arm (if anybody can post a link to that thread, I'd appreciate it). My guy has his hand...he just can't use it functionally. Thanks for any ideas! :grin:

Scott Lee
Mike Danner designed the stretch bridge, I'm sure you know which bridge I'm talking about. You'd be better off figuring out how to attatch it to his wrist on the bottom side with velcro so that not only can he hold the bridge head steady, he's also learning how to use a bridge as well. There's a player up here in the Kent WA area that lost his left hand in an accident, and had one of the stretch bridges designed to fit his remaining wrist, and he shoots to damn good to give him any weight that's for sure.

Glen

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, I hink of gymnist type gloves that have small tubes embedded in them to allow the gymnist to hold onto the bar......perhaps a glove that has a grove (made out of something) sewn into the top of the glove, or a sleeeve sewn into the glove that allows one to inset a hard groved piece. It seems like it would be stable

Attachments

• gloves-black1.jpg
    gloves-black1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,353

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
As a very low-tech solution, depending on his ability to grasp firmly with his hand, you could just use a bridge head attached to a short length of dowel or other type of handle. If he can hold onto it, it's quite a decent bridge. If he doesn't have the ability to grasp a handle, you'd have to get more creative.

-Andrew

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
As a very low-tech solution, depending on his ability to grasp firmly with his hand, you could just use a bridge head attached to a short length of dowel or other type of handle. If he can hold onto it, it's quite a decent bridge. If he doesn't have the ability to grasp a handle, you'd have to get more creative.

-Andrew

Yes, and if he can't grip it you could run the dowel down his wrist/arm and attach with Velcro straps around the wrist and maybe another strap running length ways and across the face of the bridge. If I could get to him I would hook him up
Good work Scott

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

-Andrew

That's along the lines of what I was thinking: mount a moosehead bridge to a 8" length of dowel rod and affix the end of the dowel to a glove. He could rotate the bridge on the dowel to get the position he wants on the CB low-draw to jacked-up.

I think a bowling glove would work well. It's designed to keep the wrist straight and firm, so it has the built-in firmness that a billiard glove lacks.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
This will sound weird but trust me, go to a Bodyshop and ask a body man
<~~~ body men are creative and can fix anything
Also mechanics are pretty swift, this would not be hard

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew...He cannot grasp anything, nor can he open his hand...hence this thread! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

-Andrew

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen...I am familiar with the Stretch System. That's a thought, for sure. Thanks for reminding me of it. :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Mike Danner designed the stretch bridge, I'm sure you know which bridge I'm talking about. You'd be better off figuring out how to attatch it to his wrist on the bottom side with velcro so that not only can he hold the bridge head steady, he's also learning how to use a bridge as well. There's a player up here in the Kent WA area that lost his left hand in an accident, and had one of the stretch bridges designed to fit his remaining wrist, and he shoots to damn good to give him any weight that's for sure.

Glen

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike...He is unable to uncurl his hand to even be able to put on a glove...unfortunately.

Scott Lee

Scott, I hink of gymnist type gloves that have small tubes embedded in them to allow the gymnist to hold onto the bar......perhaps a glove that has a grove (made out of something) sewn into the top of the glove, or a sleeeve sewn into the glove that allows one to inset a hard groved piece. It seems like it would be stable

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
Just a thought here, rather than wrapping a strap around the wrist, maybe wrap it around the palm of the hand just below the webbing of the thumb. With some sort of implementation attached to the strap (like you mentioned above) to the back of the hand for a bridge. My thinking is it would place the bridge device closer to its more typical placement.

Another idea would be (depending on the range of motion he has) would be some sort of brass knuckles like device with bridge grooves over the finger tops. Allowing him to place his hand flat on the surface.

Something like this with bridge grooves over the fingers. It could be fairly easily molded or shaped/hand tooled from a variety of materials including wood, metal or plastics. Maybe take a stock nylon/plastic bridge head, drill finger holes and shape to comfort. I'm just trying to think outside the box and throw brainstorming ideas into the think tank here.
750px-Copper_brass_knuckles_-_2.JPG

Hope this offers a little creative inspiration and I commend you for your efforts.

Dopc.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
peteypooldude...That's an idea too...strapping some kind of dowel or maybe a flatter piece of wood. That would give good stability to his lower arm and wrist! Thanks! :thumbup: The guy is in Clearwater FL, but thanks for the offer!

Scott Lee

Yes, and if he can't grip it you could run the dowel down his wrist/arm and attach with Velcro straps around the wrist and maybe another strap running length ways and across the face of the bridge. If I could get to him I would hook him up
Good work Scott

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dopc...I like both of your ideas! I don't think he can uncurl his fingers enough (neurological problems) to use the 'brass knuckle' idea (his dad explained the problems doing that, and is a licensed neurological physical therapist)...but that is interesting!

Keep them coming guys...lots of possibilities here. I told his dad last night about AzB, and that he should sign up and post about this. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in!

Scott Lee

Just a thought here, rather than wrapping a strap around the wrist, maybe wrap it around the palm of the hand just below the webbing of the thumb. With some sort of implementation attached to the strap (like you mentioned above) to the back of the hand for a bridge. My thinking is it would place the bridge device closer to its more typical placement.

Another idea would be (depending on the range of motion he has) would be some sort of brass knuckles like device with bridge grooves over the finger tops. Allowing him to place his hand flat on the surface.

something like this with bridge grooves over the fingers. It could be fairly easily molded or shaped/hand tooled from a variety of materials including wood or plastics.
750px-Copper_brass_knuckles_-_2.JPG

Hope this offers a little creative inspiration and I commend you for your efforts.

Dopc.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bdorman...I showed him the moosehead bridge, as I carry one with me, and was thinking of a way to use that somehow! Since he can't wear a glove, maybe just a wrist brace would work with your idea! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

That's along the lines of what I was thinking: mount a moosehead bridge to a 8" length of dowel rod and affix the end of the dowel to a glove. He could rotate the bridge on the dowel to get the position he wants on the CB low-draw to jacked-up.

I think a bowling glove would work well. It's designed to keep the wrist straight and firm, so it has the built-in firmness that a billiard glove lacks.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
peteypooldude...Actually that's not a wierd idea at all! Thanks for suggesting it!

This is what I love about this place...ask for a little help and people come ouf of the woodwork to offer ideas! Thanks so far, for all the great ideas!

Scott Lee

This will sound weird but trust me, go to a Bodyshop and ask a body man
<~~~ body men are creative and can fix anything
Also mechanics are pretty swift, this would not be hard

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use various CAD programs at work and at home. If you would like, I can design something for you, and there are many people with CNC access that could mill/cut the part for you.

10678312994_f45825a4d9_z.jpg

It wouldn't take very long to model once we have a design basis.

Edit - I originally thought of something he could slip over his fingers. Attaching to his fingers and palm would be the most stable.

10678605644_bcda9fe773_z.jpg

This took about 10 minutes to create, so it's not perfect. This could be attached to his index finger and thumb, mimicking an open bridge.

Last edited:

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there is player in NJ who is missing a hand, and has some kind of prosthetic bridge that fits on the end of his arm (if anybody can post a link to that thread, I'd appreciate it). My guy has his hand...he just can't use it functionally. Thanks for any ideas! :grin:

Scott Lee

Scott- The player you are referring to is Scotty, who plays out of Castle Billiards in NJ. He has an adjustable prosthetic bridge that is mounted on a board, and it affixes to his arm with velcro straps. He plays very well with it.

Unfortunately, I believe that it was designed and built for him by the cuemaker Paul Fanelli, whom is no longer with us.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmkvxQzCDdk&html5=1

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DAVE_M...Thanks, that's a really nice gesture! Again, due to neurological problems he is unable to open his hand, but he can maneuver his his arm pretty well. Perhaps some kind of a mitten with an attachment might work, where he could just slip the mitten over his curled hand, tighten it down somehow, and have some sort of bridge attachment that gave some stability to the bridge! Great idea, and THANK YOU! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

I use various CAD programs at work and at home. If you would like, I can design something for you, and there are many people with CNC access that could mill/cut the part for you.

10678312994_f45825a4d9_z.jpg

It wouldn't take very long to model once we have a design basis.

Edit - I originally thought of something he could slip over his fingers. Attaching to his fingers and palm would be the most stable.